Options

CCNA on just Sims

ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,
Time for me to get back to studying and its the CCENT! I have just a quick question. Is it possible for me to get certified by just using simulations, such as Packet Tracer or Boson? Just asking cause I might not have the cash to buy equipment. I've heard you can find them cheap on ebay, but do they come complete, with IOS or are they blank? Also, looking for a list of what to get, what switches, routers. Could I have one of you guys PM me with complete list that you've used to get certified?
Thanks for reading!
"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"

Comments

• Options
    human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    I used the lab set up below, minus the 3550 which was purchased recently, to pass the ICND 2 test (640-816). I bought each piece separately and the total was about $350. and yes they do come with the IOS icon_smile.gif

As for the sims, I used the todd lammle Sim in order to pass my CCENT, it was about $180. I think you can get it at routersim.com. It was great exposure to the IOS and the commands and it came with many different labs you could practice on, but in my opinion, after having the SIm and now the real equipment, there is no substitute to the real thing. If you can purchase the real stuff then do it, its not that much more expensive.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Options
    bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can easily reach the CCENT and the CCNA with no labs. Packet Tracer and GNS3 are more than enough.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face
  • Options
    ncsugrad2002ncsugrad2002 Member Posts: 131
    bgrablin wrote: »
    You can easily reach the CCENT and the CCNA with no labs. Packet Tracer and GNS3 are more than enough.

GNS3 in particular is MORE than enough. I can't emphasize how awesome this program is. It literally uses the .bin files that real routers use then uses your computers processor/memory. It basically IS a cisco router and has a nice interface. It doesn't support managed switches (although there's a way around that..) but for routers you can get plenty of practice this way. Hell, I do a lot of configs that way just because it's easier than re-wiring my rack icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Stick with Packet Tracer to begin with. It is very easy to use. Setting up networks with hosts, switches and routers is a breeze. Not so in GNS3. It is the best tool for getting familiar with the Cisco IOS. You only need to know the basics for the CCNA anyway so Packet Tracer is more then fine.

Once you get to the CCNP, then GNS is the way to go.
  • Options
    I agree with mella060; you have to trust a product made by Cisco. Especially for an "entry-level" certification such as CCNA.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."

My Site | Face
  • Options
    or you can not be cheap and get the real lab equipment. $700 is not going to kill you.

BSCI in Progress...

1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I agree. I was going to stick to just dynamips as well as packet tracer. But, there is nothing like getting your hands on the real equipment. I just seems to build that solid foundation. I spend about $800 total on everything and I'm going to add a 3550 once I pass the CCNA to work toward my CCNP. I would highly recommend buying some test equipment if you can afford it.

I have to agree that the GNS3 is awesome. I have used dynamips but, I really like this. I decided to give it a try since everyone has really had positive stuff to say about it. It is pretty nice for a sim :)
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I used both real equipment and Packet Tracer... Truth be told, I could have passed with just Packet Tracer, but the real equipment does have the benefit of allowing you to solve some layer 1 issues. I had a faulty cable in one lab, so I had to cut off the end and crimp on a new RJ45.

On one lab, and I'm embarrassed to say this, I didn't have my cable pushed in all the way. It was connecting part of the time then dropping out. I felt it was a good lesson learned though. Something, I didn't get from the simulations.
  • Options
    nash0924nash0924 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mella060 wrote: »
    Stick with Packet Tracer to begin with. It is very easy to use. Setting up networks with hosts, switches and routers is a breeze. Not so in GNS3. It is the best tool for getting familiar with the Cisco IOS. You only need to know the basics for the CCNA anyway so Packet Tracer is more then fine.

Once you get to the CCNP, then GNS is the way to go.

I completely agree.
    WIP: MSc.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is it possible for me to get certified by just using simulations
    Sure, you can get certified just using a simulator -- there is a section about it in the Forum CCNA FAQ.

But people with real hardware experience (in a home lab, on the job or job lab, or school lab) may have an advantage when it comes time for job interviews.

The Boson Simulator comes with labs that cover the important Routing and Switching tasks you should know to pass the CCNA exam. But if you try to do things outside of the scripted labs you may run into software bugs in the simulator.

Packet Tracer is software from the Cisco Network Academy that lets instructors assign "home work" and then grade it at their convenience -- without tying up a lab hardware pod that someone else could be using. The Network Academy courseware also includes scripted flash based eSims that can walk a student through some of the tasks that Packet Tracer doesn't support. Unless your Cisco Network Academy is in a 3rd world country, students usually have access to real hardware.

GNS3 is a graphical front end for Dynagen which is a character based front end for Dynamips which is a MIPS processor emulator that can "run" some real Cisco IOS Image files. The Cisco "hardware" is still simulated, so that limits Dynamips to just being a GREAT Router emulator. You can configure a fake simulated switch and VLANs or use an NM-16ESW module installed in an emulated router to do some limited switching configurations.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OK guys
    Did some searching and found some hardware that I can buy and it should only be around $200! I think I can manage that. Now onto another question. Where can I find labs to practice with? I see that we have some on this site, but does anyone know where I can get a lab book or something? I got the official certification exam book by Odom, but there are no practice labs in there. The Hardware won't do me any good if I don't have anything to test with it.
    Thanks for the great adice!
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
  • Options
    I highly recommend CBT nuggets. As far as a workbook, I dont know of any but im sure theyre out there. I just used CBT nuggets.

BSCI in Progress...

1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Options
    ncsugrad2002ncsugrad2002 Member Posts: 131
    human151 wrote: »
    I highly recommend CBT nuggets. As far as a workbook, I dont know of any but im sure theyre out there. I just used CBT nuggets.

CBT is great. Todd Lamelle's book is good too. Can't remember the name of it and not sure I spelled it right..google it, lol.
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Chris Bryants ultimate CCNA study guide is excellent for labs. heaps of hands on. He includes a lab workbook as well.

Todd Lammles CCNA book also has a heap of labs. Very good to get you started. I founds Odoms books good for the theory and Lammles book good for the labs.
  • Options
    CCNA Practical Studies - Official Cisco Press - ISBN: 1-58720-046-5

My Site | Face
  • Options
    4XJunkie4XJunkie Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have CBT Nuggets for ICND1 and 2. So I am starting to review ICND1.

I have heard of Packet Tracer but can't seem to find it. The Cisco site doesn't have a download link, so.. how does one attain it with any labs/tutorials?

Thanks guys.