Options

Apple HDD work on a PC?

hitechludditehitechluddite Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a 6.4gig WD26400 Enhanced IDE with an apple logo on it. I have Fdisk'd it under DOS 6.22 for 2gig and system formatted it FAT 16. If I boot from floppy under DOS 6.22 I can see the drive and copy files to it from a floppy or CD but I cannot get the drive to boot. If I hook it up and boot to XP it doesn't show up in my computer but in Paragon drive backup it shows as an unknown empty drive with an undetermined file format. I do not have a 40 PIN IDE I'm wondering if that is my problem or if there is an issue using an apple logo HDD.

Any ideas guys and gals?

Comments

• Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Fat16 is a far outdated format which Windows XP will not be able to recognise, it has nothing to do with the Apple logo on it. You need to format it to Fat32 or NTFS for Windows to see it.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    stuh84 wrote: »
    Fat16 is a far outdated format which Windows XP will not be able to recognise, it has nothing to do with the Apple logo on it. You need to format it to Fat32 or NTFS for Windows to see it.

This is false. Windows XP DOES support fat16, it's just not recommended. It just won't be able to recognized the entire drive as one fat16 partition. But his 2GB fat16 DOS partition should be readable. There isn't any kind of odd drive overlay software installed on the drive is there?
  • Options
    120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    There isn't any kind of odd drive overlay software installed on the drive is there?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but any abstraction layer (like an encrypted volume, etc) would just be overwritten once he did the fdisk. Since he didn't boot from the drive, a software layer wouldn't have been loaded.

When you are in XP with the drive connected, make sure the drive is online. You can do this through Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management. Use the "Disk Managment" tool under the "Storage" category.
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • Options
    Thanks for the time in considering this problem folks! I think the drive is fried, I dug up an old floppy version of WD data lifegaurd tools It's dated around 2001 and should support this drive but doesn't see it as a WD drive. My Ebay seller is going to work with me to get a replacement. Lots of work for a stinking $10 drive and to get a DOS 6.22 computer working again but sometimes you get the dog and sometimes he gets you......
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for the time in considering this problem folks! I think the drive is fried, I dug up an old floppy version of WD data lifegaurd tools It's dated around 2001 and should support this drive but doesn't see it as a WD drive. My Ebay seller is going to work with me to get a replacement. Lots of work for a stinking $10 drive and to get a DOS 6.22 computer working again but sometimes you get the dog and sometimes he gets you......

Couldn't you just install DOS 6.22 in a Virtual Machine and mount the VHD if you need access to the data in your DOS install?
  • Options
    Couldn't you just install DOS 6.22 in a Virtual Machine and mount the VHD if you need access to the data in your DOS install?

Way over my head there, I looked at the compatibility mode in XP and Vista but that only goes back to Win 95. I'm sure the software will ony recognize FAT 16. It is a database type app. All I need is a HDD over 250meg and less than 2 gig That will boot 6.22. I tried my local computer salvage yard but he doesn't have any at the moment so I'm stuck with ebay.
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Way over my head there, I looked at the compatibility mode in XP and Vista but that only goes back to Win 95. I'm sure the software will ony recognize FAT 16. It is a database type app. All I need is a HDD over 250meg and less than 2 gig That will boot 6.22. I tried my local computer salvage yard but he doesn't have any at the moment so I'm stuck with ebay.

Here: VirtualBox you can play around with it if you want.
  • Options
    Thanks talic!

I gave the site a look, might be a little overkill for running a Dos based pgm. Someday who knows, it may be the most viable option. I got my hands on another 20 gig drive Fdisk'd it at 2 gig and left the rest unallocated did a disk copy in Paragon and it works fine so this nasty little job is done but the question remains.... :)