Options

I took the ICND2 today

NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
Not the best exam experience...

An early sim took me about 25-30 minutes as it would just not respond to the commands I was entering. The config necessary was acheivable with several different commands, but there was only one specific command the sim would actually take any notice of. I'm not even talking completely different commands just slightly different parameters that acheive the same result, it was that fickle.

I have configured the same scenario at home and every command I tried works perfectly fine. I was just sat there thinking what the hell is happening, why wont it work? I started looking elsewhere for problems that didn't exist. Pretty horrible feeling but I couldn't move on because what needed to be corrected was simple, it just wouldn't let me fix it. Got there in the end but a terrible way to get going, thanks to Cisco for providing an unrealistic and stubborn Sim.

So, I was screwed on timing from early on and had to rush through and with a only a few minutes left I hit a big simlet on the second to last question. At that point I thought man this isn't going to be my day. Every sub question on the simlet required different troubleshooting and I barely had a second spare to think properly, it was the hardest question I've ever come accross on the CCNA track - practice or real questions. I managed it but ran out of time for the last question.

I can't tell you how relieved I was when I saw 876 on the screen icon_lol.gif

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Neeko wrote: »
    Not the best exam experience...

An early sim took me about 25-30 minutes as it would just not respond to the commands I was entering. The config necessary was acheivable with several different commands, but there was only one specific command the sim would actually take any notice of. I'm not even talking completely different commands just slightly different parameters that acheive the same result, it was that fickle.

I have configured the same scenario at home and every command I tried works perfectly fine. I was just sat there thinking what the hell is happening, why wont it work? I started looking elsewhere for problems that didn't exist. Pretty horrible feeling but I couldn't move on because what needed to be corrected was simple, it just wouldn't let me fix it. Got there in the end but a terrible way to get going, thanks to Cisco for providing an unrealistic and stubborn Sim.

So, I was screwed on timing from early on and had to rush through and with a only a few minutes left I hit a big switching simlet on the second to last question. At that point I thought man this isn't going to be my day. Every sub question on the simlet required different troubleshooting and I barely had a second spare to think properly, it was the hardest question I've ever come accross on the CCNA track - practice or real questions. I managed it but ran out of time for the last question.

Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    pipemajorpipemajor Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    'bout 4 more weeks then I tackle ICND2...
  • Options
    pipemajorpipemajor Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    BTW, I also have noted Cisco tends to put the longest (and most difficult) sims early in the exam. Perhaps their attempt to get you flustered early.

And yes, it is GREATLY frustrating when a configuration process you know like the back of your hand, won't work. I'm always careful to type in the full command name.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So that means you passed, right? :D

Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

Sounds like you could use a Celebration drunken_smilie.gif right now!!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    pipemajor wrote: »
    I'm always careful to type in the full command name.
    That's good advice. I was taught to learn (and use) full command in the Cisco CCNA Network Academy classes -- and to use the ? help or TAB command completion when trying shortcuts for the first time on "unknown" equipment.

Different versions of IOS and different IOS Feature Sets may have different commands available, so if you just learn the "shortcuts" -- rather than the full commands -- you may run into problems some day.when the "shortcut command" you type in doesn't work.
  • Options
    human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    sounds like you had an exciting test. Congrats on the pass.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    That's good advice. I was taught to learn (and use) full command in the Cisco CCNA Network Academy classes -- and to use the ? help or TAB command completion when trying shortcuts for the first time on "unknown" equipment.

Different versions of IOS and different IOS Feature Sets may have different commands available, so if you just learn the "shortcuts" -- rather than the full commands -- you may run into problems some day.when the "shortcut command" you type in doesn't work.

It wasn't due to shorthand commands, they were complete and fully legit. Obviously I can't say what it was so its hard to describe without context. If I could tell you you'd see why I was so confused and sent up the garden path with my pants down icon_lol.gif

And yes Mike 876 was a pass, I wont be celebrating properly until tomorrow but I might have a few early ones tonight to top the day off, which even with the exam stress was successful :)
  • Options
    It wasn't due to shorthand commands, they were complete and fully legit.
    I had one of "those" on a CCIP exam SIM. I lost a whole 6 seconds while I pondered my options when "the command" didn't work. I then hit the up arrow and edited my previous command line to use the "other option." To this day I still curse Cisco when I think of those lost 6 seconds -- which is now up to about 3+ minutes including the cursing. :D

I think there was also another recent thread about this. If tab or ? doesn't work, then Cisco is testing you to see if you know what the "full command" is. If a command or command option isn't available or doesn't work when you use it -- Cisco wants you to "do it the other way." But that's still pretty much what I was told by the "old timers" who did the 640-607 CCNA exam (back in the day when I was just a Cisco Pup).

You should learn the commands and some of the more popular options -- and when, where, and how to use them. Just memorizing commands and command sequences isn't really the way to learn Cisco.
  • Options
    Wait!! This was the ICND2 exam -- so it's not just an exam pass celebration!! This is a full blown drunken_smilie.gif CCNA drunken_smilie.gif CELEBRATION!! drunken_smilie.gif

Congratulations on the CCNA!! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    trackittrackit Member Posts: 224
    let me get this straight... you entered legitimate command, checked with ? and tab that all the options you are entering are present on the sim, and the command just didnt work? i would say this is not fair game. If cisco wants you to do things in some certain way then they should eliminate commands or command options that they dont want you to use from the sim imo. That way you can at least know that the command or option is not avalible and you have to do it some other way and you will not try to find some "problem" that isnt there...

Anyway, congrats on the pass! I will sit for ICND2 in a week :)
  • Options
    trackit wrote: »
    let me get this straight... you entered legitimate command, checked with ? and tab that all the options you are entering are present on the sim, and the command just didnt work? i would say this is not fair game. If cisco wants you to do things in some certain way then they should eliminate commands or command options that they dont want you to use from the sim imo. That way you can at least know that the command or option is not avalible and you have to do it some other way and you will not try to find some "problem" that isnt there...

Anyway, congrats on the pass! I will sit for ICND2 in a week :)

I can't remember whether I checked with ? and tab but I always use these so I most likely did. But regardless, sims complain when you enter a command that isn't supported. It took the commands no problem because the syntax of what I was entering was exactly the same as what eventually worked. Its just one variable in the command could be a number of different values that all reach the same required end result, or at least they would on a real IOS. I've confirmed that by labbing it at home but I knew that anyway, its simple config.

This is what got me, it wasn't a short command or an unsupported command. Syntactically it was the same command that eventually worked, just with a different value in one part.

I can't say more than that and I guess I should quit moaning about it since I passed fairly comfortably anyway, but it certainly made the exam far more uncomfortable than it should have been.

@ Mike and everyone else, thanks icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    I had the same experience a few weeks ago - I was also happy to pass. I had a tough early sim that didn't take my commands OR I didn't get the commands right.

I knew it was at least 70% correct, but not 100%.

Oh well!

Drew
  • Options
    I can't remember whether I checked with ? and tab but I always use these so I most likely did. But regardless, sims complain when you enter a command that isn't supported. It took the commands no problem because the syntax of what I was entering was exactly the same as what eventually worked. Its just one variable in the command could be a number of different values that all reach the same required end result, or at least they would on a real IOS. I've confirmed that by labbing it at home but I knew that anyway, its simple config.

This is what got me, it wasn't a short command or an unsupported command. Syntactically it was the same command that eventually worked, just with a different value in one part.

I can't say more than that and I guess I should quit moaning about it since I passed fairly comfortably anyway, but it certainly made the exam far more uncomfortable than it should have been.

@ Mike and everyone else, thanks icon_wink.gif

i wonder if this your way of doing things really was 100% correct alternate answer... Sometimes people do somethig that accomplishes the objective more or less, but its still not correct. I mean something similar to not applying standard access-list closest to the destination or something... Depending on the wording of the objectives it can more or less accomplish them but its still clearly wrong.

Too bad you cant share your scenario due to NDA :) it would be interesting to know what was happening there...

I guess i will see next friday if there is any simulations on my test that can have multiple 100% correct answers :)
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I think I have an idea what you are talking about but I won't state it lol. There are a few commands out there that actually the IOS will accept, and won't tell you that it isn't going to "work" even though you used the right command, you may not have put it into the "right" place so to say. Sounds like you had an exciting exam. I have to say that I hope mine isn't as exciting as yours was lol. You did a great job though with rushing through, you deserve a pat on the back! Congrats :)
  • Options
    you know what :) now that i think of it i might have an idea what was going on :) did it have something to do with routing protocols? if this was what i think it was then your answer actually was wrong, its just IOS "fixes" it for you in real world but simulation does not and thats understandable cause thats the point of the exam, to test if you know how it really works. The fact that in real world IOS fixes some command parameters for you is just for convinience, in case you enter it wrong.
  • Options
    Edit - its just impossible to explain without saying too much.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Congrats!

I remember taking my ICND2, they did the same thing! They gave me a difficult sim early on that took me about 13 minutes.... I remember watching the time, because I was going by the 10 minute rule. I knew I was close though, so I took the extra couple minutes. You do feel rushed after that though.
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    I was in the same situation as OP in one of the two tests I took. But what i can remember now is that what i was trying to do was later proven incorrect, by myself. I cant remember exactlly now but I think it was a router-on-a-stick solution...or OSPF troubleshooting. Cant remember now.

I do remember taking an incorrect approach and being saved (or at least led to the right one) because what i thought was not an available command.

it made me think about the CCIE LAB exam and how difficult it should be without invalid commands taken out from the IOS for an specific exam topic...

Congrats on the pass!
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    typeshtypesh Member Posts: 168
    Congrats!!!!!!! :)
  • Options
    well, i took my ICND2 today, i scored exactly the same as ICND1 (972 with passing score of 825). To be honest i found this exam little tougher than ICND1, but i didnt get any ambigous simulations like some discribed. All the sims were pretty straighforward, but maybe i just knew what i was doing :p (ok ok, forgive me my cocky comment, im just happy right now lol ;) )
  • Options
    trackit wrote: »
    well, i took my ICND2 today, i scored exactly the same as ICND1 (972 with passing score of 825). To be honest i found this exam little tougher than ICND1, but i didnt get any ambigous simulations like some discribed. All the sims were pretty straighforward, but maybe i just knew what i was doing :p (ok ok, forgive me my cocky comment, im just happy right now lol ;) )

Congrats icon_wink.gif