Options

Passed 601 & 602

bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
I had to take these as part of the WGU IT Network Design & Management program and ended up with an 814 on the Essentials exam and 858 on the IT Technician test.

About the only prep material I used was the SelfTest practice test. I have way more personal and proessional experience than the target demographic for the A+ exams, and most of the questions I was able to answer directly from my experience with building and supporting desktops.

I glanced at the Meyers AIO book, and it looked decent, but I didn't read it enough to judge the material presented. I did like the fact that he separates the historical/background info from the test objectives. It helps the book serve two audiences (experienced techs vs. those who are new to the field) efficiently.

If you have limited firsthand experience, the SelfTest exams are not enough to pass. The live tests were much heavier on "What menu/tab/option is feature X under" type specific Windows XP tasks than I expected.

Looks like WGU has me scheduled for a CIW JavaScript exam next...after that, I'll finally get back to MS 70-293 to finish up my MCSE.
Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bwcarty wrote: »
    I had to take these as part of the WGU IT Network Design & Management program and ended up with an 814 on the Essentials exam and 858 on the IT Technician test.

About the only prep material I used was the SelfTest practice test. I have way more personal and proessional experience than the target demographic for the A+ exams, and most of the questions I was able to answer directly from my experience with building and supporting desktops.

I glanced at the Meyers AIO book, and it looked decent, but I didn't read it enough to judge the material presented. I did like the fact that he separates the historical/background info from the test objectives. It helps the book serve two audiences (experienced techs vs. those who are new to the field) efficiently.

If you have limited firsthand experience, the SelfTest exams are not enough to pass. The live tests were much heavier on "What menu/tab/option is feature X under" type specific Windows XP tasks than I expected.

Looks like WGU has me scheduled for a CIW JavaScript exam next...after that, I'll finally get back to MS 70-293 to finish up my MCSE.

Congrats...
  • Options
    neuteboomtneuteboomt Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I should have tried for this certification a year ago when I took a class that went over it. Know I find myself review (really relearning the information) to be able to see if I can pass.
  • Options
    NorbieNorbie Member Posts: 105
    Congrats. I've only been in IT for a couple years and I passed my A+ a month ago.

I shamefully admit I failed the first test the first time around and passed it the second time around with the same score as the minimum score needed to pass.

I did a lot better with the second part.

I got my Network+ today with an 800. On to Security+ and beyond...
    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill