Health Informatics

kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
I wanted to see if anyone here has a BS or MS degree in Health Informatics. This looks more interesting to me than an MBA and still get to work with technology. Plus it will help with progressing into management.

M.S. Health Informatics (MSHI) - SHP - UAB

Comments

• msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kevozz wrote: »
    I wanted to see if anyone here has a BS or MS degree in Health Informatics. This looks more interesting to me than an MBA and still get to work with technology. Plus it will help with progressing into management.

M.S. Health Informatics (MSHI) - SHP - UAB

I can see this working out well if you intend to work in the health care industry as an IT professional. Otherwise I would go with just a MBA or another type of IT related MBA that is more specific to your intended field.

The reason I think this way, is I agree that a bachelor's degree is a bachelor's degree regardless of the field of study as far as how most employer's view it. However, once you venture down the path of pursuing a master's degree - I consider that to be a specialization. If you came to me as a prospective candidate for a management related role within my hypothetical organization and my business is not health care related, I would have to question why you are intending to work for me when you hold a master's degree specializing in health care.

I'm not sure how most hiring managers would view it, but that's just how I would look at the situation.
  • kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That was very insightful. Thanks.

Health care technology is getting $19 billion in stimulus money. Thought it would be a good area to look into and i believe i would enjoy it.

Some universities offer and MBA with a few Health Informatics classes thrown in, or an option of a dual degree.

I'm also getting tired of being one of the first laid off when the economy hiccups!!!