Options

Couple basic questions I got wrong on a chapter quiz in class

jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
**not exam related**

Had to put that there, lol

6. Which of these is not a default setting for a serial interface?
clock rate 56000 ... INCORRECT

the other answers
ip address
shutdown
encapsulation HDLC

also

Which of these is not recommended location to save a running config file
USB flash drive
Network server
Floppy Disk
T.F.T.P server

I chose USB cause the cisco documentation I have says it should be saved to a network server t.f.t.p, or a disk in a secure place. The only thing I can think to answer is USB.

Any ideas as to why I got both wrong?

Both basic questions, and I got all the config stuff right, lol

on another note I got a error after my first attemp at posting this saying I can't type t.f.t.p weithout the dotts... weird
Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
HTC students encouraged to join :)

Comments

• Options
    BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    are you sure those were the only remaining answers for the first question? Also, was that the exact phrasing? Choose more than one, etc. Seems like the first question could have been a pick all that apply.
  • Options
    georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    Let's see....

Q6:

CLOCK RATE 56000 - Serial interfaces do not have default clock rate because by default they're DTE. If you attach a DCE cable to them then you set the clock yourself. So this is a correct answer.

IP ADDRESS - Serial interface DO NOT have an IP ADDRESS by default. Who's to say that your running IP. So this is a correct answer.

SHUTDOWN - All inferfaces, serial included, are shutdown by default on a cisco router. So this is an incorrect answer.

ENCAPSULATION HDLC - All serial interfaces default HDLC for their encapsulation. So this is an incorrect answer.

Next Question:

This would be more based on what's in your book. My guess would be Floppy and/or Network server as being not recommed, not really certain though.
    jjbrog wrote: »
    **not exam related**

the other answers
    ip address
    shutdown
    encapsulation HDLC

also

Which of these is not recommended location to save a running config file
    USB flash drive
    Network server
    Floppy Disk
    T.F.T.P server

I chose USB cause the cisco documentation I have says it should be saved to a network server t.f.t.p, or a disk in a secure place. The only thing I can think to answer is USB.

Any ideas as to why I got both wrong?

Both basic questions, and I got all the config stuff right, lol

on another note I got a error after my first attemp at posting this saying I can't type t.f.t.p weithout the dotts... weird
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • Options
    XenzXenz Member Posts: 140
    First one seems off. Are you sure there wasn't a diagram or sim that went along with this question?

The second question, it's not recommended to save to a floppy. Floppy disks degrade. All the others are acceptable means of storing configs.
    Currently working on:
    CCNP, 70-620 Vista 70-290 Server 2003
    Packet Tracer activities and ramblings on my blog:
    http://www.sbntech.info
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    **not exam related**

the other answers
    ip address
    shutdown
    encapsulation HDLC

I think the correct answer for this question would be "ip address". By default serial interfaces will not have an ip address on them.
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
    For the first question, I typed, I ment to type no ip address, not ip address, I probably should have just copied and pasted it.

but yeah I emailed my teacher, He got the questions from another teacher who heads the Cisco program so their gonna fix it.

the disk one, I dono, I just assumed they ment floppy disk, cause from the material it says

"Configuration files can be stored on a network server, on a TFTP
    server, or on a disk stored in a safe place"
    Granted obviously a USB can be kept in a safe place just as a floppy would be, but you know how quizzes related to chapters can be they tend to be nearly word for word from quotes from the material you're quizzed on. So I went that route.
    Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
    http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
    HTC students encouraged to join :)
  • Options
    For the first question, I typed, I ment to type no ip address, not ip address, I probably should have just copied and pasted it.

but yeah I emailed my teacher, He got the questions from another teacher who heads the Cisco program so their gonna fix it.

the disk one, I dono, I just assumed they ment floppy disk, cause from the material it says

"Configuration files can be stored on a network server, on a TFTP
    server, or on a disk stored in a safe place"
    Granted obviously a USB can be kept in a safe place just as a floppy would be, but you know how quizzes related to chapters can be they tend to be nearly word for word from quotes from the material you're quizzed on. So I went that route.

Therein lies the problem; these are questions made by another teacher at your college? Someone should really look over these questions before they're given to students. The first question was simple. You should boot up a router and see what all is in the startup-config to learn it.

The second one is kind of a dumb question. They can all be used, but who the hell uses a floppy these days? I'd ask to get at least partial credit because technically they are all valid ways to store config files, but the floppy isn't really practical anymore.
    Currently working on:
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Xenz wrote: »
    Therein lies the problem; these are questions made by another teacher at your college? Someone should really look over these questions before they're given to students. ...

The second one is kind of a dumb question. They can all be used, but who the hell uses a floppy these days? ...

My wife just went back to college after 10 years out with the kids and after the first day I saw her timetable they had printed for her ... printed in ascii .... the exercises, ascii. It was like going back in time 20 years. Staggering !

How long ago were those questions made by this other teacher ? Have they been sitting in the directory of questions for the last 10 years ? Wouldn't surprise me at all.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Yeah, this is pretty much my experience with college. I don't want to complain too much about my college education, but it was definitely lacking. I don't think I'm that smart, but when I can correct the instructor on at least 50% of his work in the middle of class, I can blow off 2 classes at midterms and still somehow get a D and an A (50% of the work completed and got credit for both classes), and the courses are geared towards certification exams (and do a half-assed job at that) I pretty much believe the past 2 years of my life have been wasted.

I'd have a perfect GPA for my major if it wasn't for me testing this college on the thing I mentioned above. More than likely the OP is in a college much like mine.

Should have went to a real school I think!
    Currently working on: