Options

Issue setting up DC with DNS Service

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
Greetings, I'm trying to setup a DC correctly for 70-270. An my work has given some training disks called Train Signal which I am using.

I am able to setup the DNS service ok, however the weird thing is that I have created the forward lookup zone/reverse lookup zone. I created a Host A entry under the forward, however it didn't replicate over quickly to the reverse lookup. I am not sure why.

I am also not able to get out to the Internet on this machine.

This is in the VMWare environment, so this may have something to do with it.

When I go to start > run > Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Properties > TCP/IP.

I have the ip address of the server listed as the preferred DNS server. However since this is a VMWare env, I am not sure what ip address to use for the gateway address. I have a cable modem and soho switch/router. I have tried to use that gateway address and I am still not able to get out to the Internet on this DC.

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    When you create an A record, there's a little check box you need to check if you want to create a corresponding PTR record. It doesn't just replicate over.

What VMware product are you using and how do you have the networking configured (host-only, bridged, NAT, etc.)?
  • Options
    Dynamic, believe it or not, I had the following checked, 'updated associated pointer (PTR) record.'

It didn't replicate right away, so I checked the Event Viewer > DNS Events and found an entry with Event ID: 800.

DNS Server Configuration
    The zone %1 is configured to accept updates but the A record for the primary server in the zone's SOA record is not available on this DNS server. This may indicate a configuration problem. If the address of the primary server for the zone cannot be resolved DNS clients will be unable to locate a server to accept updates for this zone. This will cause DNS clients to be unable to perform DNS updates. 

This is the 1st time I have ever setup DNS. I messed with it back in 2002/2003 under Linux. However I'm just starting to learn DNS under MS, was wondering if others could make any reading recommendations.

Also for VMWare, it is older version 1.0.6 build-91891 (I've installed this from a source file in Ubunut. I know others @ TechExams Forms have said it is older and that I should upgrade. There really isn't a smooth way to remove a .tgz file). And I have the Ethernet settings set to NAT.

UPDATE: My XP Clients in the VMWare environment can get out to the Internet just fine.

thanks
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    Hmmm...I'm not sure if this is a VMWare issue, since I'm using NAT. I've been reading up NAT Vs Bridge in VMWare. Not sure I need to blow away my whole environment again and start all of the images up with Bridge.

Like I said, my XP Clients can get out to the Internet ok:

XP Client 1 ip address: 192.168.159.141
    XP Client 2 ip address: 192.168.159.142

Doing ifconfig on my Linux box:

vmnet8 192.168.159.1

If looking at the DC, the ip address is setup as:

However I'm pretty sure VMWare is working because when I look at the drivers for the NIC, it is the default driver for NAT:

AMD PCNet II card

Which I read up on here:

VMware Networks, Bridged vs. Nat vs. Host

My question is, can I manually assign this DC an address of say: 192.168.159.200?
    The 192.168.159 would fall on the network side of the VMWare side of the house.

Also then what address would I use for the Preferred DNS server? Would that be the ip address of the box itself?

I'm pretty sure once I can browse the Internet from the DC, run DCPROMO to start the Domain. Then I can drop the Workgroup relationship from my clients, add them to the Domain.

Any thoughts?

-unknown
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As far as reading I woudl suggest:
    Amazon.com: DNS on Windows Server 2003 (9780596005627): Cricket Liu, Matt Larson, Robbie Allen: Books

To be honest with you I would unjoin your workstations from the domain, demote the servers and change the network settings to bridged and change the IP addresses. I am a firm believer that you should not be complicating your learning environment and that initially it should be as straight forward as possible. You don’t need to do a reinstall. Just remove the AD environment and delete the forward and reverse lookup zones.

I do not think you need a new version of VMWare. I am using the same version in a production environment at work to virtualize a couple of XP boxes that run some legacy software. They are joined to the domain and have never had an issue with networking. So I think you are fine there.
  • Options
    I was never able to join any of the XP clients to the domain.

HOWEVER, I did blow away all of the Windows stuff in my VMWare environment and rebuilt a Windows 2003 Pro (DC), and two XP Clients. Oh, and I set all of the networking stuff to bridged, however I kinda of wanted to keep all of the VMWare stuff on its own subnet. The funny thing is that vmnet still shows the same for bridged as it did for NAT.
    cmmiller@ladytron:~$ ifconfig -a
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:15:f2:6a:ba:ce
              inet addr:192.168.1.100  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::215:f2ff:fe6a:bace/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:2171294 errors:2 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:2
              TX packets:1619322 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:2972182753 (2.7 GB)  TX bytes:142285855 (135.6 MB)
              Interrupt:16

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:1820 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:1820 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
              RX bytes:91000 (88.8 KB)  TX bytes:91000 (88.8 KB)

vmnet8    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:56:c0:00:08
              inet addr:192.168.159.1  Bcast:192.168.159.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::250:56ff:fec0:8/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:309 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:156 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

I was able to get DNS and DC working and was able to get both clients to replicate ok. Awesome.

I solved one issue, and now have a ton more questions...Maybe some of this seems outside the scope of 70-270...

-unknown
  • Options
    mcse_696mcse_696 Member Posts: 151
    check your DNS ip address on DC , if its correct use netdiag /fix and restart Netlogon service
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    I solved one issue, and now have a ton more questions...Maybe some of this seems outside the scope of 70-270...

Very little is outside the scope of the 270.... But really this may be better for the 291 forum.