Options

Cisco stuff i found

Phliplip112Phliplip112 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
So today I was rummaging around in the warehouse were i work. Way in the back I found a couple Cisco devices and i was wondering if they were worth holding onto for lab purposes

2x C2950T-24
2x 3550-12G
2x pix 525
pix 520

I also found a face panel that said Cisco 4000 series but didn't find the device, but it's probably in there somewhere.

The routers can't run 12.4 so i guess I'll leave those. However, the switches are worth keeping right?

What about the PIX devices? A quick gurgle says that the CCSP doesnt require knowledge of PIX anymore.

If its all total crap ill steal the network modules and the memory if i can use it at home.

amiright?

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Grab the Switches and RUN!!

Then go back for the routers and PIX 525s.

MAJOR SCORE!!

You'll need 12.4(6)T or 12.4(9)T (and the proper feature set) to do Zone firewalls for the CCNA:Security -- otherwise 12.2 Enterprise or 12.2 IP Plus (or greater) should have "enough" features for most routing tasks you'll run into.

The 3620 maxes out at 12.3 -- and I use one with an NM-8A/S as my frame relay switch in my home CCIE R&S Lab, along with two other 3620 "backbone routers."

The 2620 should also be able to handle a nice 12.3 IOS. You can try to TrivialFTP boot a 12.4 image, but the 12.3 IOS should do most of anything you want to learn.

The PIX 525 Firewalls can run the 8.x code the ASAs run -- you just lose a couple features that only the ASAs support.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    I second the "MAJOR SCORE".

Grab it all if you're allowed, the switches will be especially useful...
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    agreed, get the 4000 as well icon_wink.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Yup, I think you've found what we Cisco-certified folk like to call "the mother-f#$&ing-load". You've got the start of a sweet CCNA/CCNP/even CCIE lab there. All you'd need to complete it would be a couple of 2600XM-series routers, which are dirt cheap.

The 3550 switches are a major find, the 2950's are going to be very useful, so is the 4000 if you can dig it up. The PIX firewalls are very nice, and you'll get quite a bit of mileage out of those routers. Congratulations, you just got a whole forum full of Cisco-nuts gunning for you thanks to your supreme luck. icon_lol.gif

Enjoy the lab, it'll take you far if you let it. icon_thumright.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Time for good news and somewhat bad news.......lol..............

Well, the 2620 is only running 32/8 with all the mem/flash slots filled and the only image that I can fit on there is c2600-i-mz.123-26.bin. The 3620 has 32/16, so unless I can find some memory or flash laying around I can't run IP Plus or Enterprise on either. Between the 2 router i have 2 x Wic-1DSU-T1, 2FE-2w, and 1FE

If i do a T.FTP boot does that circumvent the need for more flash to store the IOS??

I also found some 2501s maybe I can steal some memory from those. I went back in there a little later and found some Catalyst 5000 series and a couple Light Stream 1010's and 2 Cisco WAE 612's

Now that i found all this stuff I'm going to do the CiscoKits.com trade-up program to switch out my regular 2610's for the XM versions series and buy a network rack
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    In my opinion I think that you have not scored anything but a bunch of junk. You should inventory all of it then let me know when you've done that so you can ship it all to me. I will pay for shipping. I'll "dispose" of it properly for you. I recyle old and unusable Cisco gear...............................................................in my lab. hahahahaha
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    So today I was rummaging around in the warehouse were i work. Way in the back I found a couple Cisco devices and i was wondering if they were worth holding onto for lab purposes

2x C2950T-24
    2x 3550-12G
    2x pix 525
    pix 520

I also found a face panel that said Cisco 4000 series but didn't find the device, but it's probably in there somewhere.

The routers can't run 12.4 so i guess I'll leave those. However, the switches are worth keeping right?

What about the PIX devices? A quick gurgle says that the CCSP doesnt require knowledge of PIX anymore.

If its all total crap ill steal the network modules and the memory if i can use it at home.

amiright?

So, you have got your CCNA, but you do not know anything about this gear, if it has any value etc....icon_redface.gif

Please let us know where you live, so we can can pick up your Cisco membership card.....icon_lol.gif
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Well, the 2620 is only running 32/8 with all the mem/flash slots filled and the only image that I can fit on there is c2600-i-mz.123-26.bin. The 3620 has 32/16, so unless I can find some memory or flash laying around I can't run IP Plus or Enterprise on either. Between the 2 router i have 2 x Wic-1DSU-T1, 2FE-2w, and 1FE
    The 2FE-2W will only work in the 3600. Not supported at all in the 2600 or 2600XM. The NM-1FE should work with the 2600/2600XM even though Cisco don't officially support it.

If you want to run newer IOS versions then you'll need to buy more RAM for your routers. The RAM on a 2600 are old PC EDO RAM SIMMs and the RAM on a 2600XM/1700 are PC SDRAM SIMMs. If you can find old PCs or know what to look for, you can get it for cheap. The flash you will need to buy however.
    If i do a T.FTP boot does that circumvent the need for more flash to store the IOS??
    Yes. It does mean doing it every single time you boot tho.
    I also found some 2501s maybe I can steal some memory from those.
    2500 RAM and Flash won't work in a 2600, 2600XM or 3600.
    2600 RAM won't work in 2600XM either.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□

2x C2950T-24
    2x 3550-12G
    2x pix 525
    pix 520

amiright?

2x C2950T-24
    2x 3550-12G

Lucky!!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    miller811 wrote: »
    So, you have got your CCNA, but you do not know anything about this gear, if it has any value etc....icon_redface.gif

Please let us know where you live, so we can can pick up your Cisco membership card.....icon_lol.gif

I don't work around this stuff outside of what i have at home and what I have at home is not the same as any of this. The 2 routers I figured ran 12.3 due to the fact that they are non XM. The 2950 and 3550 I pretty much already new were keepers. The PIX stuff I was not sure because I haven't gotten that far into security and i hear about ASA now more than PIX.

I wasn't really sure because most of my research effort has been looking at what to get in the XM versions.

....and if you want my card then ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!! ....icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    If you max out the memory on a 2600 and use a smaller feature set then you can actually run a 2600XM 12.4 IOS on it. It'll complain at you, require T-FTP to boot and possibly be unstable due to lack of memory but it'll run well enough for a lab.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I don't work around this stuff outside of what i have at home and what I have at home is not the same as any of this. The 2 routers I figured ran 12.3 due to the fact that they are non XM.
    The only way you'll find out what they're currently running is to fire 'em up and look. If you want to see what they can run and how much memory/flash storage you'll need, have a look at the Cisco Feature Navigator.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.