Options

No DcPromo

Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
Okay, so I have Windows 2000 Server installed. I'm following steps in a book(Sybex-2nd), to run dcpromo. All goes well until the netbios name part. My book says there will be a default name, and to just click ok. Well, there is no default name, and no matter what I put in, it doesn't work. I've already heard about installing DNS first, but I'm just trying to see if I can do it the book way. There's nothing crucial on the drive, so I could just reformat, and start over. Any other suggestions....?
i remain, he who remains to be....

Comments

• Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Hrm, I didn't use the Sybex book, I used the Microsoft Press books, but I've never run a dcpromo without first having a DNS server in the domain. Through the use of VMWare, I've had my domain up to 5 DC's, and they all installed fine withotu configuring DNS for that server, but my first DC had DNS configured before I promoted it. Only thing I can suggest is to install and configure DNS first and then run the dcpromo.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    if you dont have a dns server installed yet - dcpromo setup will tell you to do so... do you want to configure it now or later??
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    if you dont have a dns server installed yet - dcpromo setup will tell you to do so... do you want to configure it now or later??

I know this. I say OK, and it asks for a network name, I say testco.com, then it wants a netbios name...that's where I get the problem. No matter what I put, it's wrong. I will try a few things later tonight, including preinstalling DNS.
  • Options
    Well, I'm about to reformat and start over. I have tried dog-gone everything to work, and it won't. I'm following right along with this book, and the steps don't ass up. I've done this before, just over a year ago at school, so what I'm doing wrong, i dunno. The only error I get is, The network cannot be reached. Like it can't contact itself for some reason. I tried installing DNS first, which went fine, I think. No errors on that part. I used testco.com for the zone name, which is the same as the domain name. I tried using different names, I tried, ok so I haven't tried throwing the machine, but I'm close.
  • Options
    How the heck do you load smartdrv on a disk??? I can't do anything.....tried off a 4 disk set, nope, need smartdrv, which I thought came with Windows, but I can't get the darn thing to work. Either way, if I use the CD to install the OS, it's ok, I think. Just the dcpromo crap doesn't work. I check all hardware, seems ok, meets all the requirements easily. Just keep getting error about the network cannot be found. What network? There is only one machine so far, not connected to anything yet. I tried DNS first, that's a no-go. What am I doing wrong?>.......???
  • Options
    Finally....It's promoting right now. This is what I found out...The motherboard, a Biostar M7CND has on-board lan. The drivers for are so deep on the CD, and not in the most likely place. Anyway, yeah it's working so far, doing the dns stuff right now. Thanks to all who offered advice. icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Ricka182 wrote:
    How the heck do you load smartdrv on a disk??? I can't do anything.....tried off a 4 disk set, nope, need smartdrv, which I thought came with Windows, but I can't get the darn thing to work. Either way, if I use the CD to install the OS, it's ok, I think. Just the dcpromo crap doesn't work. I check all hardware, seems ok, meets all the requirements easily. Just keep getting error about the network cannot be found. What network? There is only one machine so far, not connected to anything yet. I tried DNS first, that's a no-go. What am I doing wrong?>.......???

smartdrv is on win98 bootdisk, ricka.
    after you do the partition, reboot and smartdrv c+ commandline..
    congrat on your new domain. :D
  • Options
    I must have had a bad boot disk then. No matter though now, it works.
  • Options
    revised...
    i'm sorry,.. smartdrv is on the win98 cd.