Options

Home Networking

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
I am going to purchase a new "router" or possibly a router and ap (2 devices). I am curious to know what everyone uses here. I don't have many requirements but some of the major ones are:

VPN/Firewall
QOS
POE would be nice although I am not sure why
Can set up at least 2 wireless networks
No issues with high throughput ( I am thinking of providing an offsite backup for some of my customers as an additional service $$$)

I was thinking about getting a cisco WAP 2000 and possibly using one of my 1721s as my main router but I'd rather keep my cisco stuff away from my actual networking equipment. That way if I break something, the wife doesn't complain about not getting to the interwebs.

What do the good people of Techexams use for their networking needs?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have an ASA5505. I bought it for a client that backed out months later, and I just happened to need a new device on my home network so... icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was using a PIX 506E, but I ended up replacing it with something easier to manage (Linksys RV042 for VPN, and Untangle for security needs). I liked the PIX but it was getting way too hot. I swear, whoever designed the 506E with the fan on top of the heatsink with barely any room between the fan and the top of the chassis could have done better. I've taken apart many 506e's to find the fan barely spinning and the wires to the fan are solid and brittle from the high heat over a length of time.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I use a Linksys WRT54G for my home network. Just need internet access and port forwarding.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    knwminus wrote: »
    That way if I break something, the wife doesn't complain about not getting to the interwebs.

What do the good people of Techexams use for their networking needs?
    No, no, no! You have missed the point! There is no better way to learn than to mess something up and then have the CEO of the family breathing down your neck until you fix it! I did this with ISA Server and learned it very well in just a few weeks. One of the only tests I have passed in the high 900s.
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I use a Cisco 871W, I haven't had a chance to do much with it other than setup the bare minimum (internet access, firewall, wireless), but I think it would do just about everything you listed. I live in a small apartment, so having a device that runs IOS and is completely silent was the major selling point for me.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Cisco 1841, ASA5510 and a couple AP1242s
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    871w up to 10 wireless vlans
  • Options
    No, no, no! You have missed the point! There is no better way to learn than to mess something up and then have the CEO of the family breathing down your neck until you fix it! I did this with ISA Server and learned it very well in just a few weeks. One of the only tests I have passed in the high 900s.

Maybe you have a point:D Good Idea.
  • Options
    For those working with the 871ws how do you configure it for access with you cable/dsl modems. I have heard something about a dialer interface but I could be mistaken. Also do any of you use the 871w with cisco labs. I have a couple 1721s and a 2950s and when I go for the CCNP I plan to use to Dynnamips for my studies and a pair of 3550s.
  • Options
    Dialer interfaces are only necessary for DSL using PPPoE, otherwise you just configure the interface to receive a DHCP address.

I originally purchased the router for lab purposes, but since I have plenty of other hardware and now use dynamips for most of my labbing purposes it has ended up being "production"-only.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have been planning to build an Astaro Security Gateway between my network, and Cable modem for while. I really need to get around to finishing that project.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Dlink DIR-655

does everything i need.
  • Options
    Good responses so far. I like to see the range of what other people are using to bring things into perspective. I guess it is going to come down to an 871w or something consumer grade product. I wondering which will be the best investment since I plan to do the cwna next year and even though it is non vendor specific, I still want a good test lab. Since I want to be a cisco networKing (patent pending :D), I think the 871w maybe the better choice. But I also know that the full blown cisco wireless controllers and etc are $$$ so hopefully the 871w would be enough to get by the cwna.

At any rate I have also seen some very good responses in terms of security. Open Source = Sexy. On to my next question about the Home Networks of the Tech Exams community:

How important is security to you?
    Does anyone use VOIP or Tmobile HOtspot at home and if so how are the results?
    What are some of you network (from isp) speeds?
    Anyone still using wireless g or is everyone on N?
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I run a separate Trendnet 802.11n access point (cheapo from Newegg, works great) on my current network. The Linksys RV042 is soon to be replaced with a Cisco 861 as since upgrading our failed PIX 506e in the office with an ASA5510, we might consider Cisco for all of our endpoints so I'll be able to configure L2L VPN's before switching over in production environments. I don't think I could handle going back to 802.11g after upgrading my AP, I'm actually able to work upstairs on my notebook now and toss larger files back and forth at a somewhat decent speed, decent enough that I don't immediately run downstairs to my desktop on the gigabit ethernet.

If you are considering the Cisco 871w for your home and to also use for study, you might want to look at the 881w. It's probably $200 more, but it gets you built-in 802.11g/n instead of the 802.11b/g of the 871w. On the other hand though, it's a lot cheaper to buy a 802.11n AP and add it in.
  • Options
    How important is security to you?
    I'm a bit of a security nut. I'm not concerned with the physical security in my apartment, but I use a VPN to my home from outside wireless networks and my firewall is filter outbound traffic as well as inbound.
    Does anyone use VOIP or Tmobile HOtspot at home and if so how are the results?
    No VoIP, T-Mobile doesn't provide service in my state.
    What are some of you network (from isp) speeds?
    I pay an incredibly high sum for 7mb down/512kb up, mainly because there are only two non-wireless ISPs and they both hate consumers. There are multiple wireless internet services (WiMax), but the speed and latency sucks.
    Anyone still using wireless g or is everyone on N?
    871W is b/g only, Cisco does have the 890 series which supports N, I assume they're a lot more expensive.
  • Options
    I run a separate Trendnet 802.11n access point (cheapo from Newegg, works great) on my current network. The Linksys RV042 is soon to be replaced with a Cisco 861 as since upgrading our failed PIX 506e in the office with an ASA5510, we might consider Cisco for all of our endpoints so I'll be able to configure L2L VPN's before switching over in production environments. I don't think I could handle going back to 802.11g after upgrading my AP, I'm actually able to work upstairs on my notebook now and toss larger files back and forth at a somewhat decent speed, decent enough that I don't immediately run downstairs to my desktop on the gigabit ethernet.

If you are considering the Cisco 871w for your home and to also use for study, you might want to look at the 881w. It's probably $200 more, but it gets you built-in 802.11g/n instead of the 802.11b/g of the 871w. On the other hand though, it's a lot cheaper to buy a 802.11n AP and add it in.

Did a quick google and ebay. $400+ is way to much for my home router. My wife just checks email and I don't play games (although I plan to start playing some). I think the 871w is enough and if need be I will get a N access point.

Of course I could get something home grade but I kind of want the best I can afford. And the ability to create multiple wireless networks is very important. Since playing with Network Pen testing (specifically backtrack) and general security will come into play, I would like to have at least 3 networks: 1 for my home pcs and devices, 1 for guest, and 1 for pen testing.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm still on 802.11G. Everything that needs speed is on gigabit. I can't justify the upgrade to N at the current prices. I'll just add another WAP later if I ever need it; I don't need that built into my router/firewall.

I just have my pentesting lab connected via virtual networks in VMware workstation.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    An old Nokia IP350 firewall into a 3725 with seperate VPNs for lab, normal and kids network. No wireless as yet. To busy working getting the kids playstations LANd up
    Kam.
  • Options
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    An old Nokia IP350 firewall into a 3725 with seperate VPNs for lab, normal and kids network. No wireless as yet. To busy working getting the kids playstations LANd up

Are you using splat on your Nokia?
    I was thinking about buying one for practice with the checkpoint software since I plan to do the CCSA later on next year.
  • Options
    Not got to configuring the nokia yet. It's still as it came out of the skip where I found it at work along with other goodies they were throwing away at the time.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    Not got to configuring the nokia yet. It's still as it came out of the skip where I found it at work along with other goodies they were throwing away at the time.

I see. The only reason why I ask is Nokia is a big player with checkpoint technologies. I have seen several jobs requesting experience with nokia firewalls.
  • Options
    I see. The only reason why I ask is Nokia is a big player with checkpoint technologies. I have seen several jobs requesting experience with nokia firewalls.

A guy I share an office with is high level network security bod for gov.t and mod accounts and he rates Checkpoint over all the others due to the interface. Scripting is done better by others though.

I got the nokia out of a skip at work with some other gear and fully intend getting into checkpoint at some point.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have an ASA sitting behind my gateway router (cisco 2621). Behind the ASA I have a DMZ for lab purposes, a service network for central logging, and a few other management services. I also have another DMZ for wireless access. Lastly, I have my internal network with everything else.

It's a bit over the top and I'm probably going to chop it down to a Netgear WPN824 soon to cut the power bill.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/