Options

Removing Delete History option from IE 7

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Have a paranoid owner, who wants to personally go and visit each machine and see the browsing history. Is there a switch or registry hack that keeps a user from deleting their browsing history?

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There is a GPO: User Config/Admin Templates/IE Explorer
    You need to enable "Disable Changing Temporary Internet Files And Settings", "Turn Off Delete Browsing History Functionality", and "Disable Configuring History" policies.

Good luck with that client. I'm sure you will get lots of business from him....
    I would try to convince him to use a proxy server. Set up a Linux box and use something like Squid. Then he can probably use a browser to view internet usage history.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Have a paranoid owner, who wants to personally go and visit each machine and see the browsing history.

Sounds like a great guy to work for. Does he also time toilet breaks?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    There is a GPO: User Config/Admin Templates/IE Explorer
    You need to enable "Disable Changing Temporary Internet Files And Settings", "Turn Off Delete Browsing History Functionality", and "Disable Configuring History" policies.

Good luck with that client. I'm sure you will get lots of business from him....
    I would try to convince him to use a proxy server. Set up a Linux box and use something like Squid. Then he can probably use a browser to view internet usage history.

How about also including prohibit from installing other browsers. Otherwise, the user could simply install a different browser...or even use a liveCD to get out, couldn't they?

Too bad. I agree with the Firewall option though...that will be the slickest way to monitor it...if he seems to think that is a priority. icon_sad.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes, all those are possibilities. But in my experience this type of boss tends to be cheap and their favorite security measure is to rely on the ignorance of their users.
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Ive never used the GP setting to not allow a user to clear their history. Can't they still manual go and clear out the contents of the folder? I guess the index would still be there though.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Even if he was cheap, it costs next to nothing to get an old P4 2.4 running with Untangle. That's like $100; that's easily less than one day's worth of time running around from machine to machine.
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Just script it .... might be slow though, so do it over the weekend.
    dynamik wrote: »
    Even if he was cheap, it costs next to nothing to get an old P4 2.4 running with Untangle. That's like $100; that's easily less than one day's worth of time running around from machine to machine.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    dynamik wrote: »

Or even try:

ClarkConnect - Server and Gateway - Linux Small Business Server SBS
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?