Options

Lost my job today not sure what to do

2»

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    thomas130 wrote: »
    Just to let you guys know I have taken some words out which refers to the company I was working for. It has also lost its formatting where the paragraph starts and end. After reading what I have done I noticed where my sentences run to long but apart from that is it ok.

Is it readable?

What I have done is look at their person specification and explain how I meet each one of these is this the wrong thing to do. My English is not the best I'm not sure really how to make it shorter but still make it meet all their requirements. Any help would be great.
    Wait, so is your post above a conglomeration of responses to questions on the application? Would it be spaced out between different areas of the application? Are you sending a resume/CV as well with your application?

I personally still think it's way too long, and that wall of text will likely turn off a lot of people. Bullet pointing will definitely help cut it down and make it more readable, but in general, I think you need to really pare down the "fluff" and stick to the important stuff that will make them want to call you in to talk to you more. Unless you're responding to an application question that's asking for them, leave specific examples for phone/in person interviews.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    thomas130thomas130 Member Posts: 184
    Here is a new draft is this an improvement

I have been working for South Staffordshire Plc for just over 2 years. My position was to provide first and second line support to the users. During my time there I been given the opportunity to expand my knowledge and go beyond my current job role. My biggest achievement during my time with South Staffordshire Plc has been to get involved in setting up a new site. I found this experience both challenging and rewarding and I would love to do something like again in the near future

• I have experience in managing a network infrastructure using Active Directory where I completed such tasks as creating computer account, Securities and created and modify group policies. South Staffordshire Plc AD infrastructure covers five domains each one has several sites which we all support.
    • I have participated in a number of projects over the last two years which has varied from software/hardware roll outs or system upgrades. I have work varied hours to get this completed which has included weekends and working in the middle of the night.
    • I am familiar and have experience with the following technologies such as Windows 98, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, Seven, Mac OSX, Windows Server 2003, Exchange 2003, POP3 DHCP, DNS and NAT.
    • I have strong experience in supporting hardware such as desktops, laptops, Pdas.
    • I have strong experience in supporting software whether this has involved system upgrades or fault finding. I was also responsible for the builds where I have created various ghost images for them.
    • I have experience working with number of external companies such as Dell and Autodigital. With Autodigital I was heavily involve them to roll out back new MFD throughout the businesses.
    • Working on a help desk there are strict service level agreement which we must adhere to. Meeting these has allowed myself to get involve project work an example of this was when a mission critical system that needed to be upgraded overnight.
    • I have experience in keeping the IT department asset database up to date. So when Ofwat came to audits we were able to generate a report that was accurate.
    • I have experience working at Streetly School where I helped the IT manager get ready for the new term. This involved setting up the brand new IT classrooms and creating setting new computer accounts.
    • I have run several websites which I have use the following languages, Html, CSS, PHP, JavaScript and SQL. This experience came extremely useful for my HNC Studies which involve creating a website with HTML. I also had to create this website to be accessible and pass the W3C markup validation service.
    • At the moment I am currently studying Cisco (CCNA) at Open University and I should be prepared to take my CCNA Certification in November. I will then start my track to gain my MCSE.
  • Options
    NorbieNorbie Member Posts: 105
    Today I was told I no longer had a job and I am feeling really depressed about it and not sure what to do. I have work in a large corporate environment for just over 2 years supporting multiple domains and sites.
    Over the last 2 years I have study hard I have completed my HNC and currently doing my degree. I plan to have CCNA certification in October and was then going to start my studies for MCSA/MCSE.
    I was really hoping to have this job for another year to get this before trying to another job so I would have decent experience and qualification but I am really stuck now. I have look at the job site and there is nothing so I’m not sure how to move forward. I don’t want to unemployed for so long that my experience no longer counts.
    Could anyone give any advice?

icon_sad.gif

I have read this thread and some of you guys have broken my heart...

I don't have a great solution...but I do have a mediocre one. I work for a city's IT department. Short of burning a building down intentionally it's hard to get fired from a city government...

The pay isn't the best (I make about 31,000 a year) but it is way more than I ever made outside the IT field.
    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
  • Options
    Firemarshalbill.comFiremarshalbill.com Member Posts: 128
    Thomas still to long. I am currently hiring engineers and short and concise is important. Bullets are the way to go. Also watch out for changes in verb's within the sentence using ..ed and ..ing in the same sentance is BAD. I tried to shorten and make it a little more readable. Just trying to helpicon_cheers.gif GOOD LUCK
    • I managed a network infrastructure using Active Directory where I completed such tasks as creating computer accounts, securities and the creation and modification of group policies.
    • I participated in a number of projects over the last two years including software/hardware roll outs and system upgrades.
    • My software/application experience includes: Windows 98, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, Seven, Mac OSX, Windows Server 2003, Exchange 2003, POP3 DHCP, DNS and NAT.
    • Extensive experience in supporting hardware such as desktops, laptops, and PDA's.
    • I was responsible for the software builds including creating various ghost images for them.
    • I often interfaced with external companies such as Dell and Autodigital.
    • Worked on a help desk with an emphasis on maintainment of strict service level agreements
    • Experience in keeping the IT department asset database up to date.
    • Worked with the IT manager at Streetly School setting up the brand new IT classrooms and creating/setting new computer accounts.
    • Operational website experience includes the following languages, HTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript and SQL.
    • Currently studying Cisco (CCNA) at Open University with an expected test date in November.
    • MCSE training to start in December
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Norbie wrote: »
    I don't have a great solution...but I do have a mediocre one. I work for a city's IT department. Short of burning a building down intentionally it's hard to get fired from a city government...

Well, what else are you supposed to do when they take your redline stapler and don't give it back? :D
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Here is a new draft is this an improvement

I have been working for South Staffordshire Plc for just over 2 years. My position was to provide first and second line support to the users. During my time there I been given the opportunity to expand my knowledge and go beyond my current job role. My biggest achievement during my time with South Staffordshire Plc has been to get involved in setting up a new site. I found this experience both challenging and rewarding and I would love to do something like again in the near future

• I have experience in managing a network infrastructure using Active Directory where I completed such tasks as creating computer account, Securities and created and modify group policies. South Staffordshire Plc AD infrastructure covers five domains each one has several sites which we all support.
    • I have participated in a number of projects over the last two years which has varied from software/hardware roll outs or system upgrades. I have work varied hours to get this completed which has included weekends and working in the middle of the night.
    • I am familiar and have experience with the following technologies such as Windows 98, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, Seven, Mac OSX, Windows Server 2003, Exchange 2003, POP3 DHCP, DNS and NAT.
    • I have strong experience in supporting hardware such as desktops, laptops, Pdas.
    • I have strong experience in supporting software whether this has involved system upgrades or fault finding. I was also responsible for the builds where I have created various ghost images for them.
    • I have experience working with number of external companies such as Dell and Autodigital. With Autodigital I was heavily involve them to roll out back new MFD throughout the businesses.
    • Working on a help desk there are strict service level agreement which we must adhere to. Meeting these has allowed myself to get involve project work an example of this was when a mission critical system that needed to be upgraded overnight.
    • I have experience in keeping the IT department asset database up to date. So when Ofwat came to audits we were able to generate a report that was accurate.
    • I have experience working at Streetly School where I helped the IT manager get ready for the new term. This involved setting up the brand new IT classrooms and creating setting new computer accounts.
    • I have run several websites which I have use the following languages, Html, CSS, PHP, JavaScript and SQL. This experience came extremely useful for my HNC Studies which involve creating a website with HTML. I also had to create this website to be accessible and pass the W3C markup validation service.
    • At the moment I am currently studying Cisco (CCNA) at Open University and I should be prepared to take my CCNA Certification in November. I will then start my track to gain my MCSE.

Unsure if this has been mentioned, but try to omit the " I " in your resume. So instead of saying " I have configured the DHCP server " , say , " Configured the DHCP server ". I believe this makes the resume just a little bit more professional.

Just me $.02
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thomas still to long. I am currently hiring engineers and short and concise is important. Bullets are the way to go. Also watch out for changes in verb's within the sentence using ..ed and ..ing in the same sentance is BAD. I tried to shorten and make it a little more readable. Just trying to helpicon_cheers.gif GOOD LUCK
    • I managed a network infrastructure using Active Directory where I completed such tasks as creating computer accounts, securities and the creation and modification of group policies.
    • I participated in a number of projects over the last two years including software/hardware roll outs and system upgrades.
    • My software/application experience includes: Windows 98, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, Seven, Mac OSX, Windows Server 2003, Exchange 2003, POP3 DHCP, DNS and NAT.
    • Extensive experience in supporting hardware such as desktops, laptops, and PDA's.
    • I was responsible for the software builds including creating various ghost images for them.
    • I often interfaced with external companies such as Dell and Autodigital.
    • Worked on a help desk with an emphasis on maintainment of strict service level agreements
    • Experience in keeping the IT department asset database up to date.
    • Worked with the IT manager at Streetly School setting up the brand new IT classrooms and creating/setting new computer accounts.
    • Operational website experience includes the following languages, HTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript and SQL.
    • Currently studying Cisco (CCNA) at Open University with an expected test date in November.
    • MCSE training to start in December

Thats alot better at making bullet point more concise and direct. I'm sure no recruiter would want to read a resume with that much wording. Seems like pretty good experience though...icon_profileright.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    Well good news I have completed uni for this year so that all good

Plus a couple of the jobs I have been informed they are chasing my references. Plus I got a couple of phone calls chasing regarding them jobs. I was able to get intouch with one and now have a job interview for tomorrow. :)

It is only part time however it means I can carry on studying while still have job experience

Cross fingers
  • Options
    IncInc Member Posts: 184
    undomiel wrote: »
    Start cutting down own your expenses immediately and embrace the ramen (..)

Pasta is not the best diet :) Rice or buckwheat, plus some veggies will be more healthy, even if you can afford them only each other day. Fasting days are left for contemplation. You will be surprised how mush easier it is to think on unfulfilled stomach :)

Also you can look around for "Food For Life" Food for Life Global - The world's largest vegan / vegetarian food relief
  • Options
    Good News Guys

I got a new IT job

It is only part time but it gives me chance to do my degree and certs and keep my experience up to date. :D
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I got a new IT job
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    It is only part time but it gives me chance to do my degree and certs and keep my experience up to date. :D
    Sounds like you have a plan!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the new job! Keep moving forward!
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Congrats... Good Luck the new job. Get as many certs as you can.
  • Options
    Congrats... Good Luck the new job. Get as many certs as you can.

I will do it's not the ideal job since is basically answering the phone job but at least it's some money coming in and will keep my experience up.

Hopefully I hear back from this other job I applied too but the main thing is that I have an IT job.
    On the positive they have a very large IT Infrastructure and this could be very good chance to progress if I impress them. I had the director in and said he was very impressed and mention they never had the chance to tick so many boxes for a candidate.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I will do it's not the ideal job since is basically answering the phone job but at least it's some money coming in and will keep my experience up.

Hopefully I hear back from this other job I applied too but the main thing is that I have an IT job.
    On the positive they have a very large IT Infrastructure and this could be very good chance to progress if I impress them. I had the director in and said he was very impressed and mention they never had the chance to tick so many boxes for a candidate.

Man that sounds like how I got started in the industry actually. Low-level tech support for a small ISP, part time, while I was in school. It let me work on my certs and my college education which was great. Also, I got a ton of hands-on experience on a large network which is worth its weight in gold. That's also a very big complement by the director. I'm sure they will have high expectations for you and I'm sure you'll impress. Just stay humble, work within your role, and take on anything and everything they toss at you or toss up in the air.

Great example - Dynamik has only been at my company for a few months and one of our sales guys sent a broadcast email asking for advice on how to write up a response to an RFP from a client. Even though Dynamik only has a few months on board he was the first person to volunteer his services and is quickly making a name for himself in our office. That type of initiative is what employers want to see.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Man that sounds like how I got started in the industry actually. Low-level tech support for a small ISP, part time, while I was in school. It let me work on my certs and my college education which was great. Also, I got a ton of hands-on experience on a large network which is worth its weight in gold. That's also a very big complement by the director. I'm sure they will have high expectations for you and I'm sure you'll impress. Just stay humble, work within your role, and take on anything and everything they toss at you or toss up in the air.

Great example - Dynamik has only been at my company for a few months and one of our sales guys sent a broadcast email asking for advice on how to write up a response to an RFP from a client. Even though Dynamik only has a few months on board he was the first person to volunteer his services and is quickly making a name for himself in our office. That type of initiative is what employers want to see.

To a future employer time in IT is well, time in IT! I spent almost a year at my community college doing a little of everything: Running patch cables, making patch cables, desktop support, and answering help desk calls. It was about 20 hrs a week but the connections I made, the hands on experience, and the chance to put IT technician down on a resume was as Paul said, "worth its weight in gold"