Options

ATM networking

wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
Wanted to know if anyone has a book or two that they recommend for the subject. I see a few 9+ year old books on the subject and wanted to know if there was something newer.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    wirerat wrote: »
    Wanted to know if anyone has a book or two that they recommend for the subject. I see a few 9+ year old books on the subject and wanted to know if there was something newer.

Thanks.

Good. Someone learning about ATM, quite right too.

It's all here, Pildush, Kwok et al..

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccie/43824-atm-resources.html
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Turgon wrote: »
    Good. Someone learning about ATM, quite right too.

Maybe for academic/cert studying but it is rapidly going the way of the dodo. I've been in this DC comms job 18 months now and haven't had a single new atm installed in that time. Loads of Ethernet over fibre links at varying speeds up to 10gb so far have been put in though. Odly, lots of 64/128 kilostreams as well for low spec point to point.

I hear BT have the end in sight for les/wes circuits too in favour of their new etherflow circuits (ethernet over fibre).
    Kam.
  • Options
    wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
    Turgon - Thanks for the link.

I am wanting to learn more about ATM just for personal reasons. Seen it mentioned often in books so wanted a decent understanding of what it is all about and how it differs from Ethernet.
  • Options
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    Maybe for academic/cert studying but it is rapidly going the way of the dodo. I've been in this DC comms job 18 months now and haven't had a single new atm installed in that time. Loads of Ethernet over fibre links at varying speeds up to 10gb so far have been put in though. Odly, lots of 64/128 kilostreams as well for low spec point to point.

I hear BT have the end in sight for les/wes circuits too in favour of their new etherflow circuits (ethernet over fibre).

Couldn't be further from the truth there in several important respects. Cellstream uses ATM bearers. I worked a lot with those and while LANE has almost certainly gone you will find lots of ATM in the SP space. I know, I was a network designer for 4.5 years for BT.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Turgon wrote: »
    Couldn't be further from the truth there in several important respects. Cellstream uses ATM bearers. I worked a lot with those and while LANE has almost certainly gone you will find lots of ATM in the SP space. I know, I was a network designer for 4.5 years for BT.

So in the carrier cloud with the high end gear ATM is still widely used ?
    Kam.
  • Options
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    So in the carrier cloud with the high end gear ATM is still widely used ?

Yes indeed. You still find plenty of ATM cores. BT is one example but there are many others..

What core network is used? | Help & Support | BT.com

Things are moving along but ATM in some shape or form will be around a while yet.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    At my last employer our edge to core was ATM. We used a pair of cisco 10008 chassis for ATM to IP conversion. The fiber to the home users are on ATM backhaul but I believe they're in the process of switching fiber to the home users to IP (double tagged vlans).

ATM has its value but I certainly wouldn't get any certs that are ATM specific. It's good info to know though.

A lot (most) service providers are getting off of ATM due to the overhead it comes with. Also, devices which speak ATM are just getting more and more expensive. ATM ports are very cost prohibitive for most organizations.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/