A little bio on me..

bigheadxbigheadx Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just wanted to introduce myself to the boards..

Name is Jeremy, Im 20 years old, 21 in a month or so..
Got big into computers back in 00'/01 ish with video games. CS.

Since then been working with them. Full time college student, and work full time as a computer operator.

Im currently working towards an AAS, Cisco Network Technician. Im on my 3rd out of 4 classes, and Im loving it so far.

During my off time, while Im working, I read my Network+ book. My plan is to take my Net+ and CCNA back to back after I finish my fourth cisco course, WAN Technologies.

I dont have any hardware at home, just the simulator but at school I got all the hardware I need.

Anyways, thats a little about myself !
WIP: CCNA, BS Sys/Net Admin

Taking one byte out of computers, one bit at a time!

College Fund:
[-/
] (15000)

Comments

• hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    bigheadx wrote: »

Since then been working with them. Full time college student, and work full time as a computer operator.

Im currently working towards an AAS, Cisco Network Technician. Im on my 3rd out of 4 classes, and Im loving it so far.

During my off time, while Im working, I read my Network+ book. My plan is to take my Net+ and CCNA back to back after I finish my fourth cisco course, WAN Technologies.

I dont have any hardware at home, just the simulator but at school I got all the hardware I need.

Thats cool man. What school are you at?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

To save some money I might suggest just taking the CCNA. When you have the CCNA there is no reason to have the Network+. The CCNA easily trumps it.

Good luck with your studies, and welcome to TechExams.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To save some money I might suggest just taking the CCNA. When you have the CCNA there is no reason to have the Network+. The CCNA easily trumps it.

Unless you plan to combo the N+ with A+ or S+ for an elective credit with Microsoft.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A little bio on me..

I bet Monica Lewinsky said the same thing...

Regardless, welcome to the forums :D
  • bigheadxbigheadx Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Currently Im going to a community college.

I go full time, and I have about 12 credit hours left for my AAS.

As I said, I plan on getting my CCNA after next quarter, so in January most likely. The only reason I am getting the N+ is because my school is paying for my certs, and the more the merrier right?

Also, after I get my CCNA, should I continue right on to NP? Im not real big into security, and would like to just go into my NP then go into routing and switching(2 diff specialties right?)

Sometimes though, I dont think Im working hard enough... Some of these guys on the boards are stacked and are my age. Makes me think I should of tried harder in HS, or focused more

College Fund:
    [-/
    ] (15000)
    Also, after I get my CCNA, should I continue right on to NP? Im not real big into security, and would like to just go into my NP then go into routing and switching(2 diff specialties right?)

R&S typically goes hand-in-hand, and the CCNA and CCNP will primarily focus on those.
    Sometimes though, I dont think Im working hard enough... Some of these guys on the boards are stacked and are my age. Makes me think I should of tried harder in HS, or focused more

I'm approaching 27, and I'm just now finally setting up my exam date for ICND2. Just keep plugging away. You'll be amazed at how far you've come when you look back in a year or two. Don't worry about who else has what. You can always find someone better if you look hard enough; don't get yourself discouraged for no reason. Honestly, I'd focus on trying to find the women that are stacked if I were you.
    Well the girl Ive been with for a couple of years is modeling, and has some big gig in December. So, if I decide to stay with her, money would roll in.

I guess thats true, theres always someone out there who knows alot more.

Know any good practice tests for CCNA?

College Fund:
    [-/
    ] (15000)
    Transcender's good.
  • AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275

I was going to suggest just that. I was checking a net+ book and i honestly dont think it's a very good idea to get the Net+ if you plan on continuing with cisco. The CCNA syllabus overlaps...well, you get the idea. Simply get the CCNA. If you want to use something as a MCSA/E elective pick something that can give you more for your time.

I am 30. A civil engineer who has already been in management. I am CCNA and will take CCNA voice this week. I studied the BSCI book and should probably be ready to take the exam in about 3weeks of study. I went through the CCNA security book and should probably be ready for certification in about 2weeks of study.

That is all I have and I want to change careers to IT. There will always be somebody who decided faster than you what they really wanted to do. Your first decision when it comes to picking careers is, for most people, made when you are 18. Suboptimal choices/decisions are common. But even if you are 30, you still have at least 30 years to build a bright career. Most people do it in much less time. Follow your passion. It is never to late to start and therefore to falter.

Good luck.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • tim100tim100 Member Posts: 162
    Currently Im going to a community college.

If you are gearing towards the R&S track I would suggest continuing right into the NP and setting a goal for the IE.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Also, after I get my CCNA, should I continue right on to NP?
    It would probably make more sense to get a job in IT that hopefully lets you use your CCNA and gain experience.

You can start taking the CCNP class, which would help keep your CCNA knowledge sharp for job interviews, but CCNPs without any IT job experience are NOT in high demand.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    I work right now for a retail chain, I also do side work for a Printing company offering my advice and providing solutions to them concerning their network (I youst to work there as the IT guy when I was 1icon_cool.gif.

I plan on after getting my CCNA, pursuing a Network admin position

College Fund:
    [-/
    ] (15000)
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

I'm 27 and at times (more often than not) feel like life is flying quicker than my ability to keep up with cert studies, and college studies. Don't let it get you down. Dynamik is right, there will always be someone else out there better than you. On the other hand make sure you keep on marching forward.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    At 37 you still have many years to build a career in this economy of today. You or I will not retire unless we play our cards right.
    AlexMR wrote: »
    I was going to suggest just that. I was checking a net+ book and i honestly dont think it's a very good idea to get the Net+ if you plan on continuing with cisco. The CCNA syllabus overlaps...well, you get the idea. Simply get the CCNA. If you want to use something as a MCSA/E elective pick something that can give you more for your time.

I am 30. A civil engineer who has already been in management. I am CCNA and will take CCNA voice this week. I studied the BSCI book and should probably be ready to take the exam in about 3weeks of study. I went through the CCNA security book and should probably be ready for certification in about 2weeks of study.

That is all I have and I want to change careers to IT. There will always be somebody who decided faster than you what they really wanted to do. Your first decision when it comes to picking careers is, for most people, made when you are 18. Suboptimal choices/decisions are common. But even if you are 30, you still have at least 30 years to build a bright career. Most people do it in much less time. Follow your passion. It is never to late to start and therefore to falter.

Good luck.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.