Selling my flash cards -- any issues?

imhotepimhotep Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was thinking about selling my stack of homemade flash cards from Network+. There are something like 700 of them, all written by me for studying. Are there any reasons why I shouldn't/couldn't do this from a legal standpoint? It might seem like weird question, but I wondered because I read two books in order to create them. Even though I created them, I wondered if I would be stepping on the author's toes?

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    For one,
    You are in the wrong forum to sell items.

Second,
    You may have a difficult time selling something you 'made' and how much of what you made is taken or borrowed from other copyrighted text? You could have a problem with that, but it just depends if someone wants to press charges and such.

Why could don't you just give them to someone who is preparing?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    imhotep wrote: »
    Are there any reasons why I shouldn't/couldn't do this from a legal standpoint? It might seem like weird question, but I wondered because I read two books in order to create them. Even though I created them, I wondered if I would be stepping on the author's toes?

While I highly doubt there would be any legal action. I would have doubts, no offense, that you didn't plagiarize anything if even inadvertently. If you were able to create the flash cards without paraphrasing/plagiarizing then you probably wouldn't have needed them to study :)

I think you'll have a hard time selling them, that's just my opinion though. I think most people get by just fine with a book and maybe a CBT and they may be concerned about the quality of the cards both physical as well as content.
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    This reminds me of when I would buy books in college. While I could buy used books for most courses, I usually didn't. That's because you never knew, without great inspection, if the person that used the text before you was a highlight hacker. What was important to them might not be important to you. With no offense, these flash cards remind me of that exact scenario.
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Sell them on ebay. Anything sells there!

If used underwear and bras are sold there, why not flash cards?
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    binarysoul wrote: »

Ewww, but key point!
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    binarysoul wrote: »

Scrubbing mind with soap... eww is right... icon_lol.gif
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    You could sell them but personally flash cards contain things that the creator cant remember or need swatting up on.

For example if you know how to subnet like the back of your hand you wont put it on a flash card however someone else might not even know what it is and as such need a flash card for it.

For your own use they are ok but for everyone they would need to contain everything.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools