Options

Since Win7, any point in pursuing Vista 70-622

Will Vista 70-622 Ent Tech even be worth taking now? That would would really be underhanded fo MS to offer a cert that after a 1 year+/- is no longer desirable/usable since Win7 certs will be/are out.

Comments

• Options
    buchatechbuchatech Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    kctxau wrote: »
    Will Vista 70-622 Ent Tech even be worth taking now? That would would really be underhanded fo MS to offer a cert that after a 1 year+/- is no longer desirable/usable since Win7 certs will be/are out.

I passed the 70-620 cert recently becuase it counts torwards MCSA. I knew Win 7 was coming but am pursuing my MCSA now and did not want to wait for a Win 7 exam. Win 7 is alot like Vista with some differences. I would say it depends on what your goals are to make it worth pursuing or not pursuing Vista certs.
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    The same could be said about still offering Windows XP MCDST then. Worth is in the eye of the beholder, or the company requiring such cert. It all depends on what your company is currently using or planing on upgrading to. If a company is in the middle of deploying Windows Vista, then yes, it would be worth while to get the Vista EST.

Not to mention, if I was going for the Vista EST and already had the Vista Config, I could just take the 622 and do an upgrade for W7, instead of taking three more exams.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    The same could be said about still offering Windows XP MCDST then. Worth is in the eye of the beholder, or the company requiring such cert. It all depends on what your company is currently using or planing on upgrading to. If a company is in the middle of deploying Windows Vista, then yes, it would be worth while to get the Vista EST.

Not to mention, if I was going for the Vista EST and already had the Vista Config, I could just take the 622 and do an upgrade for W7, instead of taking three more exams.
    +1. It depends on what you want to do with it, and "old" OS's don't just disappear overnight either.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am going to go against the grain here a little bit. I think the Vista exams were not to the level of many of the MCP era certifications and would say that if you had to choose between the Vista and Win7 exams you should go for the Win7 exams. I believe they are much more Enterprise level and will probably be of more benefit to expanding your knowledge and career. If you can get both, go for it. But If you are stuck with one or the other, go for the Win 7 exams.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd say a lot of the material between the vista exam and a future 7 exam would probably be overlap so I wouldn't call it a waste of time.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm not going to bother with the Vista exam if 7 counts toward MCITP.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Although there is a considerable amount of overlap between Vista and 7, you also must consider the new style of doing certain things in windows 7 that will be the new norm for a while in deployment.

For instance, if you learn all the deployment tools in Vista, you will have just an overview of what they are in 7. Vista uses PEimg.exe, drvload.exe, imagex.exe, etc etc etc while 7 uses DISM.exe.

The exam level it self is also more "enterprise" for 7, as robert mentioned.

I would vote for 7, and I am a guy who holds the MCITP: EST and likes Vista a lot.