Options

dte/dce csu/dsu home lab

KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
In a home lab and you get a back to back dce/dte cables, is it the wic cards/serial interfaces that provide the csu/dsu function ? Trying to get information on this that doesn't mention a modem like device to perform this function is thin on the ground.

I know what the seperate csu/dsu parts do and what physical equipment fits into the dce/dte bracket, but trying to figure how that relates in a home lab situation is puzzling. With a back-to-back dce/dte cable, you put the dce end on the router that is going to do the clocking but where does the csu/dsu take place; if at all on a back to back cable ?
Kam.

Comments

• Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    The dte/dce cable is the old way of doing things. It used to be a T1 would come in and you would plug it into an external csu/dsu then the dte/dce cable would come off of that and plug into your router. Now the T1 just plugs into the router. For back to back i.e lab scenarios there is no csu/dsu because you dont have a T1 coming in.
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    This is what is confusing me. When you go serial via a wic, you need the back-back DTE/DCE cable with db60/ss connections. At work where I have live circuits coming in, they are either G703 rj-45/bnc or db15 x.21 from say a mux/kilostream and the provider's ntu handles the csu/dsu but I am confused as this translates in a home lab for a serial connection.
    Kam.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just throw the clock rate command on the DCE side. That'll provide the clocking for you.