Passed 70-293 this AM

:) I am glad this one is over. WOOT WOOT! Finished quickly with a descent score. Used CBT Nuggets, MS Press Training Kit, Testout, and Transcender. I had a ton of Sims, make sure you lab out PKI! (let me know if this violates the NDA)...

I am scheduled for the 2 Windows 7 beta exams for early Oct as a break. And I plan to take the CEH course at the end of Dec. I have 294 & 298 to finish my MCSE out by the end of the year. Any recommendations as to what may be the best route?
Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella

Comments

• mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats, hoping to be doing this one next week. Was it a long and boring test?
  • novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192
    hehe... you could say that. it was challenging, but i work in a HA & PKI enviornement, and did alright on the 291, so i think i had a little advantage. i am a self diagnosed ADD geek, so the hour i was in the room seemed like days!
    Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella
  • murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats!
    Next up
    CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
    ITIL Intermediate Service Operations
  • novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192
    thanks murdatapes, looks like you have 293 & 294 under your belt. What are you going for now 297 or 298? would you reccomend skipping ahead or going to the 294?
  • murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am currently study for the 299 exam, and hopefully take 298 the same day. I'm coming back to the Win7 exam after I try to knock out the MCSE. I'm just to close to stop and move on to something else and then come back.

I like to stay in order as much as I can to build on from the last studying material. I'm going the security route (70-351) after a hopeful pass on the 299 and 298 so that's why im going with 298.

But yeah, IMO i would stay the course. Let's us know what you decide.
    Next up
    CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
    ITIL Intermediate Service Operations
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on your pass! Do the 294 next, then hit 299 / 298 as they bring it all together.
  • Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations and good luck on the 294!
    Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How do you actually "lab out" PKI...? Do you need a seperate machine? Or virtual? Please explain

Thanks
  • tanixtanix Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    RomBUS wrote: »
    How do you actually "lab out" PKI...? Do you need a seperate machine? Or virtual? Please explain

Thanks

just use virtual. Pick up MS Virtual PC (its free), create a default install to work with and copy out as many .vmc's (the virtual machine files) as you need for additional machines.

Then, setup your network, setup a complete PKI infrastructure. You can go nuts and have a very complicated, multi-subnetted network as you like only limited by the power of your machine. You can access the internet with it for your DNS topics and and route back through to it for RRAS examples (though routing back into your virtual environment may require some additional work arounds).

Point is, you can simulate a complete test network for anything you may study.

Virtual PC is limited, so in cases where you would like to be more complex, you can always use VM-ware or other like products.

edit:

Also note that in some cases, if you are careful you can even drop a virus on your virtual network and toy with how you would deal with it in the safety of its environment.