Options

Free certs

Yeah so I got confirmation today that the company will pay for my certifications. Enterprise Admin and Security+. I think that would be a good start. I told them it should be 8 months to a year until I complete it if not longer. You guys think this is feasible?

I am excited now. Free Certs icon_cool.gif
Knowledge is Power.

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think you are giving yourself too much time. I would try for them in 8 months tops. The 620 should only take you 2 weeks at most. It's a pretty easy exam (don't underestimate it, though). If you have a good, solid background with computers I would say give yourself 8 months. If you don't you will begin to slack off and think "I can play CoD tonight. I've still got 8 months." You'll be thinking tht and you still haven't even completed the 620. Tell the bosses 8 to 12, get it done in 6 to 8.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't see why not. How much do you work with MS server administration? Your current and regular experience with the technology really determines how long it will take. I have seen people who have been into networking for a decade get the CCNP in a few months and have seen newbies take over a year. It just comes down to how much you already know before you go into it.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
    I pretty much do ms server administration everyday here. Just need more motivation lol. But 6-8 months sounds reasonable. Would you guys recommend maybe combining study (i.e. 70-620 and security+). Also, debating about taking the Windows 7 exam instead of Vista. I did some studying on Vista, but i like Windows 7 and use at work as my main box and at home.

Don't know if it is worth going back to study it or continue with Vista.
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    You can do it in less than that.

Considering the actual time ive spent studying/learning the material for the entier MCITP EA track, ill have invested probably 8 weeks. (thats counting days i actually studied in whatever capacity, not 24s of study)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Doing six exams in a year doesn't seem to be that unreasonable.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I recently decided, or maybe I should say it was decided for me, that I will pursue the MCITP: EA path. I have been in IT for a while now but I still expect it will take me a year, at the very least, to get there. Between a full time job, a part time job, a nagging wife, a whining son and a golf habit I don't have as much time as I would prefer to study.

So I can see why you would give that time frame, but ultimately it just depends on how many hours per week you can devote to studies.

Good luck, it sounds like you will have no problems given your experience!
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you think you can do it in 8 months you tell them 12.

1) Life doesn't follow the schedule we set for it
    2) Finishing it sooner makes you look good to the employer.

You always give yourself more time for anything you do than is necessary. The worst thing you can possibly do in business is not meet your guidelines.
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ...you will begin to slack off and think "I can play CoD tonight..."

I've been having this problem lately...
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology