Options

Slow loading word, excel files from explorer

aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm getting a really slow reponce when I try opening files from windows explorer, it's taking 30 - 50 sec to open a word .doc or Excel spreadsheet, but can open the same file really quickly through the office application.
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I'm getting a really slow reponce when I try opening files from windows explorer, it's taking 30 - 50 sec to open a word .doc or Excel spreadsheet, but can open the same file really quickly through the office application.

You'll get a better response if you would provide some details.

Which OS?
    Which Office version?
    Are all your updates current?
    AV and is it current?
    When did the problem begin (or you first notice)?
    How large are the files you are opening?
    System Spec? CPU? RAM? HDD and how full is the HDD?
    Are you using a Network connection to reach these files? Or are they local?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What about other file types? PDF, TXT, etc not associated with Office
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Which OS? XP SP3
    Which Office version? 2003 SP3
    Are all your updates current? yes
    AV and is it current? Sophos Enterprise, Yes
    When did the problem begin (or you first notice)? last few day, i haven't installed any new software for few weeks
    How large are the files you are opening? small, under a mb
    System Spec? CPU? RAM? HDD and how full is the HDD? dual core, 2GB RAM, plenty of space on disk
    Are you using a Network connection to reach these files? Or are they local?[/QUOTE] Using a LAN connection but I can access the files from another PC as expected. Nice and quick
    What's another word for Thesaurus?