Options

Upgrade MCDST to Vista or Win7?

win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
I am not sure if this question has been asked already, but what do you all recommend I upgrade my MCDST eventually to? I'm leaning towards Windows 7 since it looks like Microsoft is pretty much phasing out Vista. I'm not really in a hurry and in my current environment I do not use either vista or windows 7 just thinking which would be better for the future, I do not think i'll take both because of money reasons. I'm already going to take the 291 exam soon as well so I cant pay for 3 exams.

Thanks in advance,

win2k8

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you intend on getting the MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Tech 7, you woud have to take 3 exams any way. MS is now requiring the HDI exam to go along with their exams for MCITP EST7.

My personal opinion, though, is that you save the extra $$ and take the third exam. But go for the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7 as this will compliment you MCSA quite well AND I think you will learn more interesting things. I'm currently studying for the 686 and I am really enjoying it. I thought the Vista exam was a near waste, but I needed it for Enterprise Admin.
  • Options
    win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    Do I only have to take Exam 70-686 to get Microsoft Certified IT Professional: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Administrator?

thanks,

win2k8
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    win2k8 wrote: »
    Do I only have to take Exam 70-686 to get Microsoft Certified IT Professional: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Administrator?

thanks,

win2k8
    nope, you have to take the 70-680 exam as well. All the MCITP designations require at least two exams. With one exam, you're an MCTS. You can see a full listing of the MCITP certs here.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Skrpune is correct. There is no upgrade path for MCDTS to EDA as this is a new certification that maps to a new job role. It's for someone who works with deploying, maintaining, and administering client systems. I think the deployment and maintenance skills you learn from it are very good for admins in small/medium environments. In large environements (200+ clients) it would be good if your role included deployment, etc.