Options

Question about the Specialization Exams

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I kinda have a vision of what my ultimate goal in IT will be. My question about the initial specialization exams (CCNA:S, CCNA:W, CCNA:V) is this: are they good for a foundation in voip, wireless, and network security? The direction I want to go in won't require working with just Cisco equipment, so I wonder if they will give a good foundation and best practices in general?
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    XenzXenz Member Posts: 140
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    I kinda have a vision of what my ultimate goal in IT will be. My question about the initial specialization exams (CCNA:S, CCNA:W, CCNA:V) is this: are they good for a foundation in voip, wireless, and network security? The direction I want to go in won't require working with just Cisco equipment, so I wonder if they will give a good foundation and best practices in general?

You'd probably learn a few things. Cisco is usually based off their implementation of the standard, but you also learn the standard so I can't imagine it would hurt.
    What I learned with my CCNA can be implemented across multiple platforms with different syntax.

Someone who has taken these tests and work with other equipment can give you a better answer.
    Currently working on:
    CCNP, 70-620 Vista 70-290 Server 2003
    Packet Tracer activities and ramblings on my blog:
    http://www.sbntech.info
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    From what I have understood from one of my friends that is a CCIE currently now working with a company that deals with Juniper equipment, the syntax is a little different, but if you have the theory and now how to do things, you can learn pretty quickly on the other vendors stuff.