Options

Modular Switches & Routers

DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
Supervisor/Console is the brains of any modular switch or router.

2part question
1. When you telnet into a switch or router, then do a "sho mod" or "sho ip int" to view ALL of that switch or router's modules & ports - Are you telnetting into the Supervisor Console then asking the Supervisor Console for it's attached Modules & ports?

2. How are all the modules attached to the supervisor console? Or are they at all?
And if they aren't attached, then how does the Supervisor console know what modules & ports it contains?

Comments

• Options
    Like for instance.. I work in the NOC. I dont have much experience with Switches/Routers physically.

Like say you have a switch named "Switch-A1" with IP address of "192.168.10.1" - That IP & Name represents all the modular switches attached to it. You cannot remote into any of the modular blades or view any of their configurations without first telnetting to the mgmt console which is "Switch-A1". I mean.. Am I correct? The entire modular switch is managed via the management console. None of the blades have a name or IP. Just a MAC.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    When you log into a modular switch/router like a 6500 you are logging into the active supervisor engine. All of the blades communicate with the supervisor via the back plane. Think of it as the supervisor is the brains that control all the interface cards.

Check this link out for more information.

Cisco Catalyst 6500 Architecture.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ok cool... thats what i thought. Thanks
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Supervisor/Console is the brains of any modular switch or router.

2part question
    1. When you telnet into a switch or router, then do a "sho mod" or "sho ip int" to view ALL of that switch or router's modules & ports - Are you telnetting into the Supervisor Console then asking the Supervisor Console for it's attached Modules & ports?

2. How are all the modules attached to the supervisor console? Or are they at all?
    And if they aren't attached, then how does the Supervisor console know what modules & ports it contains?

I thought Id share this as well.
    On Thursday I picked up an alarm on a 3750 switch. You can connect many of these switches together in a configuration explained here. Any way the only reason why I bring this up is because I learned some interesting things about this type of configuration: It is basically the same configuration as a 6509; All switches are considered 1 logical switch; In a Vlan configuration, all of these switches keep the same vlan configuration (for example if 1 is a server, all are a server). The reason why I said all of this is that one of the seniors told me that the same apply facts apply for the 6509.