Options

Ios 15?

tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
So... 12.4 -> 15.0?

Looks like there is a 1900, 2900 and 3900 series as well now.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yeah, I'm not sure whats up with the skip in numbers. I loaded it on my 1811 this morning, but that router isn't really doing anything so I'm not sure if it would have broken anything or not. Looks to be some extra licensing stuff in the show version that wasn't there before.
    License Info:

License UDI:

-------------------------------------------------
    Device#   PID                   SN
    -------------------------------------------------
    *0        CISCO1811/K9          FTX1010Y0M1     

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Mark KnutsonMark Knutson Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I'm not sure whats up with the skip in numbers....

Maybe they hired an executive from microsoft. ;)
  • Options
    Maybe they hired an executive from microsoft. ;)
    Now introducing Cisco IOS 2009 John Chambers Signature edition...
  • Options
    TBellamyTBellamy Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    13 is unlucky in America .... 14 is unlucky in Asia .... so, 15 is the next "safe" number
  • Options
    TBellamy wrote: »
    13 is unlucky in America .... 14 is unlucky in Asia .... so, 15 is the next "safe" number
    It is the number 4 itself that is unlucky because it sounds similar to death in certain languages. 14 would mean something similar to certain death. Bit odd to do so for those reasons though. Plenty of Cisco software/hardware has had a 13th and/or 14th item in them. e.g. There is a 13th and 14th port on all of my switches and 12.4.13 was released with no particular fanfare.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I saw a good one that Juniper will soon reach release 12 (on 10 now I believe?) and Cisco just wanted to be that much farther ahead of them :)
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I am reminded of the time when sybase went from 4.9 to 'system 10'. Old system 10 was a big disappointment, and 'system 11' delivered what system 10 was supposed to.

Most people are not fooled by the marketing motivations of jumps in release numbers.

Then there is also the phenomenen whereby truly revolutionary upgrades are point releases while the full number releases are incremental. Probably the most notable point release in software history was windows 3.1.
  • Options
    I saw a good one that Juniper will soon reach release 12 (on 10 now I believe?) and Cisco just wanted to be that much farther ahead of them :)
    If I had to choose a theory, this would be it for why they skipped to 15.
  • Options
    I am reminded of the time when sybase went from 4.9 to 'system 10'. Old system 10 was a big disappointment, and 'system 11' delivered what system 10 was supposed to.

Most people are not fooled by the marketing motivations of jumps in release numbers.

Then there is also the phenomenen whereby truly revolutionary upgrades are point releases while the full number releases are incremental. Probably the most notable point release in software history was windows 3.1.
    Of course, you then got releases like Windows Millenium edition which went backwards in terms of functionality and stability...
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Of course, you then got releases like Windows Millenium edition which went backwards in terms of functionality and stability...

Absolutely, and vista was a disaster for microsoft as well. Now cisco software seems pretty straightforward from what little I know, but the larger history of software is littered with releases that represented a significant step in the wrong direction.

Thing about windows 3.1, before it was released, microsoft was one of a number of companies struggling for PC operating system market share. 3.0 was not doing very well, but 3.1 with its true type font technology turned microsoft into the PC os leader and set it well down the path to world domination--for better or worse.

Personally a big linux fan myself.

The other day, I saw a cisco press book discussing the internals of a post-IOS operating system. It was a pretty sophisticated os, and I gathered it was only to be used on newer high end gear which I was not familiar with.

But enough war stories, I would be curious to see what this 15 release offers. Also curious if it runs on a 3640 or 2611xm... ;) I suspect not.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    If I had to choose a theory, this would be it for why they skipped to 15.

Sadly, probably is the real reason. A bad one in my mind. The skipped numbers are simply confusing.
  • Options
    I've been meaning to post about this for ages but always forgot.

IOS 15.0 finally adds the ability to use public keys for SSH access. About time...