Options

HP Procurves

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Does anyone have experience with these? I seem to be having a hard time finding documentation on some of their functionality. For example this switch we have comes with 4 personality ports....what are those?

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Does anyone have experience with these? I seem to be having a hard time finding documentation on some of their functionality. For example this switch we have comes with 4 personality ports....what are those?

Procurves are real decent.

Which model do you have?
    HP ProCurve Switch 1810G Series

Support - FAQs - HP ProCurve Networking
    Support - FAQs - HP ProCurve Networking
    Q: What is a dual personality port?
    A dual personality port can be used as either an RJ-45 10/100/1000 port (IEEE 802.3 Type 10Base-T; IEEE 802.3u Type 100Base-TX; IEEE 802.3ab 1000Base-T Gigabit Ethernet) or an open mini-GBIC slot (for use with mini-GBIC transceivers).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    We have a Procurve 2900-48G and a 2510-24. I setup the basics on the switches so that I could access the web interface, and then spent some time in the CLI to get used to it. It just doesn't seem as intuitive as Cisco's IOS....maybe I'm just too used to Cisco idk.
  • Options
    120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    We have a Procurve 2900-48G and a 2510-24. I setup the basics on the switches so that I could access the web interface, and then spent some time in the CLI to get used to it. It just doesn't seem as intuitive as Cisco's IOS....maybe I'm just too used to Cisco idk.

I've found HP's CLI sort of clunky. Granted, they were older switches, but I've worked on Cisco switches from the same era(?) and MUCH prefer the Ciscos, and I don't consider myself a "Cisco guy."
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • Options
    After playing in a lab for a few days with the HP switch I am thinking of moving over to Cisco ESW's they are cheaper but still a Cisco product...
  • Options
    unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After playing in a lab for a few days with the HP switch I am thinking of moving over to Cisco ESW's they are cheaper but still a Cisco product...
    Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about the HP's?? I use Cisco and HP's throughout my network and I have to tell you that I really like the HP's. We use HP 2810's, and various Cisco models. I found the HP CLI to be very Cisco-like (although most switches nowadays are). The one thing I really don't like about HP is that you don't get a standard set of features across all of their models. For example, on the 2810's you don't get ACL's. On the 1800's you don't get Spanning-tree, etc. On Cisco's and most other products you know that you have a base set of features across all models. Like I said, I'm just curious...
    Preparing for CCIE Written
  • Options
    I just think that the CLI for HP is not as easy to get around in or use. We have a 2950 and 2510 and just trying to get them working together I seem to be having issues. Like I said its probably that I'm just used to flying through the Cisco interface