CCNP 2010 updates

Comments

• NullCodeNullCode Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i missunderstood.
    So now i have a deadline, 20 June for CCNP. That will set me on!:)
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    NullCode wrote: »
    i missunderstood.
    So now i have a deadline, 20 June for CCNP. That will set me on!:)

Now I'm in a time crunch.....8 months to cover CCNP. Anyone have an inside scoop on when Cisco will make this Official on their site? ...nuff on this post time to hit the books gotta get this outta the way ASAP!
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Supposedly the official announcement is in November.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Did BSCI in December 2008
    About to go do BCMSN in December 2009

That leaves me until June to clear ISCW and ONT.

It's doable.
  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    NullCode wrote: »
    From PDF: "The end of availability dates are March 2011 for ISCW and OCN, and June 2011 for BSCI and BCMSN."
    So.. what does this mean?!

The 2011 date is the end of the course from the academy. Yes, you will be able to take the course after the exam is fully retired. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • qp81qp81 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is anyone in the academy right now? Can you give us more insight on this? I was wondering if I took the Academy say for ISCW and ONT would it be possible to get a voucher? Ill be killing myself if I try to complete within 8 months :p doing BSCI for the forth time(last I hope).
  • AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    knwminus wrote: »
    True but if they werent concerned with making money off of there certs then they all would be free (CCIE included, along with all the books, and salad and breadsticks you want).

Certifications are another way for them to get money imo.

I dont think they are making all that much money. No. I think you are missing the costs they absorb when they develop those programs. I am sure a company like Cisco is making such moves based on strategic decision making, and not necesarilly because of the direct benefit the certification program represents, if any (Any DIRECT benefit)
    dynamik wrote: »
    No offense, but I really don't think you're aware of how much is involved with running programs of that magnitude. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they were actually losing money on the whole ordeal. Like I said, the real benefit to them is having people that can support their equipment. Who cares if Juniper has better equipment for less money if all you have is people like Aldur supporting them?

...Nuff said....

i have a question for the old Cisco guys here: Does Cisco generally retire exam and make changes like this in such a short notice?

The thing is not yet official, as the dates for retiring the exams are not published on the webpage. I will be taking the BSCI next month and that is going to give me about 7months for 3 exams. Based on the amount of hours that ive taken to prepare for the CCNA Voice I dont think I wiill be able to clear them.

I think making the announcement to retire two exams in the timeframe they've published is going to discourage many people to stay on the track, until the new TSHOOT exam becomes available.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    AlexMR wrote: »
    i have a question for the old Cisco guys here: Does Cisco generally retire exam and make changes like this in such a short notice?
    Cisco tweeks the exams quite often and changes/updates the exam blueprints as they deem necessary. You should always keep an eye on the exam blueprint to make sure you have all the topics covered -- since Cisco may have changed a topic or two here or there. And the CCSP seems to have new or updated or retired exams every year now.

Usually you'll get about 5 to 6 months notice about the changes -- and Cisco outlines the "mix 'n match" options that will be available. Until the official word comes out from Cisco your guess is as good as anyone else's.

The "current rumors" have been posted here on TechExams twice before -- once in April 2009 and before that in January 2009. The "original rumors" were posted elsewhere even before the current exams were a year old.

Since the CCNP is a routing & switching certification, BSCI & BCMSN are probably the "safe" exams to take and most likely to have a obvious replacement.

The old CCNP had the CIT Exam -- Cisco Internetwork Troubleshooting -- which was some troubleshooting methodology and then anything "troubleshooting related" from the books for the other exams (BSCI-Routing, BCMSN-Switching, or BCRAN-WAN).

Since Cisco can't seem to decide what it wants to do with the CCNA:Voice and CCVP -- and that if you took the old CVOICE exam, you NOW don't need to meet the CCNA:Voice prerequisite at all..... I'd just suggest not buying any Cisco Certification books more than a month or so before you plan to start studying. And you probably don't want to buy the current Cisco Press CCNP Certification Library Box Set.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I dont think they are making all that much money. No. I think you are missing the costs they absorb when they develop those programs. I am sure a company like Cisco is making such moves based on strategic decision making, and not necesarilly because of the direct benefit the certification program represents, if any (Any DIRECT benefit)

It would have been nice if you had actually gotten my point before you shot it down. icon_lol.gif
  • BosefusBosefus Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So I have till June 30, 2010 to take three exams?

This is going to suck while working full time and going to school full time.

I had planned and have been taking exams during the winter and summer breaks.

Looks like I am going to have to try to do this while in school.

Ugh.
    Working on CCNP, passed BSCI, Currently working on ONT.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Damn, ive just finished my first read of iscw but i am about to start university again. there's no way i will be able to finish the whole track by that date whilst doing my degree. i think i'll have to scrap the iscw now and start reading bsci.

So i have a question, for people possibly in my case, i've passed bcmsn. say i pass bsci and use that as a combo with the troubleshoot exam. Wheres the material to fill in the gaps i will miss by not completed the ONT and ISCW?

i know other ppl have said portions of the ONT and ISCW material maybe integrated into the new route/switch exams but what about those who dont do the new exams like me?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    nel wrote: »
    Damn, ive just finished my first read of iscw but i am about to start university again. there's no way i will be able to finish the whole track by that date whilst doing my degree. i think i'll have to scrap the iscw now and start reading bsci.

So i have a question, for people possibly in my case, i've passed bcmsn. say i pass bsci and use that as a combo with the troubleshoot exam. Wheres the material to fill in the gaps i will miss by not completed the ONT and ISCW?

i know other ppl have said portions of the ONT and ISCW material maybe integrated into the new route/switch exams but what about those who dont do the new exams like me?

That question was answered. The best for you is probably passing the BSCI annd then waiting for the TSHOOT to get the ccnp. If you are concerned about not knowing the security and QoS parts of the current CCNP you can take the QoS exam and maybe CCNA security. If you follow that path and the CCIP keeps the same requirements you might end up with the CCNP, CCNAS and one exam away of the CCIP. The new thing made it a easier unless they make TSHOOT insanely difficult.

Let's hope the new TSHOOT requires troubleshooting on real equipment, sort of what MS is doing with the new Active Directory configuration exam for server 2008.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
    That question was answered. The best for you is probably passing the BSCI annd then waiting for the TSHOOT to get the ccnp. If you are concerned about not knowing the security and QoS parts of the current CCNP you can take the QoS exam and maybe CCNA security. If you follow that path and the CCIP keeps the same requirements you might end up with the CCNP, CCNAS and one exam away of the CCIP. The new thing made it a easier unless they make TSHOOT insanely difficult.

Let's hope the new TSHOOT requires troubleshooting on real equipment, sort of what MS is doing with the new Active Directory configuration exam for server 2008.

Sorry, i wasnt asking the best method to pass the NP once the new exams are available. it was in relation to the later part of your ansswer refering to the material missed out by the ONT and ISCW.

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nel wrote: »

I was thinking the same thing as my route may also be BSCI, BCMSN, and TSHOOT. I guess I'll be a water-down CCNP at that point. You can always just read the ONT and ISCW material (or the new ROUTE and SWITCH material), even if you don't take the exams ;)
    I was thinking the same thing as my route may also be BSCI, BCMSN, and TSHOOT. I guess I'll be a water-down CCNP at that point. You can always just read the ONT and ISCW material (or the new ROUTE and SWITCH material), even if you don't take the exams ;)

Ahh, two andrews' thinking alike :D. i will probably end up doing the other tracks anyway once i finish this stupid degree!

• S0cratesS0crates Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The announcement has helped me decide in what order to take upcoming exams. After just passing the CCNA: Security last week, I wasn't sure if I wanted to pursue the CCNA: Voice or the BSCI next. Now that I know there is some ambiguity regarding the BSCI, the CCNA: Voice exam is the apparent winner for me.

So, I'll study and take the CCNA: Voice now while I wait for Cisco to officially announce their plans for the CCNP, and the ramifications on the CCDP and CCIP. If they continue to implement plans as written herein, then I'll take, and hopefully pass, the BSCI and BCMSN by June and take the Troubleshooting exam there after.
  • human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    Its about time they take Frame Relay out.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    human151 wrote: »

I doubt that will happen anytime soon. FR is still in the new CCIE curriculum.
    ColbyNA wrote: »
    I doubt that will happen anytime soon. FR is still in the new CCIE curriculum.

Thats too bad.
    I really do not want to buy a 3640 for my lab...;-(

How often is FR used now days anyways? The people I know havent seen one in years.

BSCI in Progress...

1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Frame relay is still pretty prevalent out there, but I don't think you are going to see many carriers investing into growing their frame relay networks at this point.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024

Frame Relay really isn't a prevalent part of the current CCNP, so not sure what you mean
    that's reassuring then. some of the training material I have includes Frame relay in the labs, which is why I thought it had a bigger part overall. I cant run FR because I have refused, up until this point to spend money on something just to simulate FR, when chances are I'll never see it in the real world.

Its reassuring to hear that its not very prevalent in the exams. In that case I am sure I can get by with just reading about it.

BSCI in Progress...

1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    that's reassuring then. some of the training material I have includes Frame relay in the labs, which is why I thought it had a bigger part overall. I cant run FR because I have refused, up until this point to spend money on something just to simulate FR, when chances are I'll never see it in the real world.

Its reassuring to hear that its not very prevalent in the exams. In that case I am sure I can get by with just reading about it.

Do you mean spending money on a router that acts as a frame relay switch? All the routers you have listed in your signature support frame relay. I have twelve routers and the only one that doesn't support frame relay is my 871, which doesn't have any serial interfaces.

I don't really get not wanting to learn frame relay. For one it's a pretty simple technology as far as networking goes (at least the basics, there may be some more advanced stuff I'm not aware of). Secondly, using frame relay between routers in your lab can drastically cut down on the number of interfaces needed and eliminate re-cabling. Heck, I even use frame relay in my dynamips labs.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Not practicing FR would be a bad idea for this test. You need to know how the routing protocols react over FR and it is something IMO that you need to see in action to get a good handle on. Just grab dynamips and you can get a great FR lab going pretty easy. If you plan on heading for the IE you will need a good grasp on it anyway so no use in neglecting it now.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Firemarshalbill.comFiremarshalbill.com Member Posts: 128
    Frame relay as a network technology is on life support - break out them defib's, Sprint has turned of it's FR network and Verizon is not renewing customer contracts on theirs . I have still seen questions on it during exams though
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303

I Might be on that route as well icon_sad.gif sucks since I have the CCNP Exam Library ! I'm taing BSCI (4t time) this coming monday so, assuming I do better I'm heading to BCMSN as qukc as possible
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    I guess I'll do the BSCI, BCMSN, TSHOOT route too.

Can't wait to see whats in the TSHOOT exam.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Good news for me! Hopefully when I’m done with the CCVP (early 2010) some of the new NP study material will be out.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/8498

it seems that everything will be clear in January
  • maquesadmaquesad Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    so I do not understand, if I do the BCMSN exam today, would I need pass all the other 3 exams before the deadline or would I be able to just carry on with the troubleshooting and route exam and become CCNP?