Options

CISSP -- Certification Should i go for it

HussainkhanHussainkhan Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
I m new to this forum but i have been reading a lot before joining this..
I have two years of full time experience in it security mainly in the endpoint security.. i am planning to go for cissp but could not wait for the five years to complete....but i have a four years Engineering degree

Can anyone guide me how i can go about it.....can i appear for cissp associate........but i dont want to take sscp.......

I hope some one from the forum will get back to me....

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, you'll be an associate until you meet the experience requirement. You can also waive a year with one of these certifications: (ISC)² Security Transcends Technology
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm going to go the opposite and say no. Certifications should be done to showcase your current skills. Especially when you're dealing with management level certs.

Think of it like being a consultant. Anyone can say they consultant but the only ones who will get anything done are those who have spent years perfecting there niche. That's why they get paid the big bucks not because of the title/cert they hold.
  • Options
    ParthParth Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hussain if you have the money, go for SSCP (doesn't have great value in India). But SSCP will prepare you for CISSP and is worth it.

If you want to go for technical side of security (analyst, architect or engineer) go for GIAC certifications. Certification Roadmap

If you want return for money *quick* for the cert but want to learn vendor specific go for CCSP or CCIE - Security (I doubt if there is a CCIE - Security from India).

Go for CISM / CISA if you want to go to managerial side of information security.

I'm not going against what has been said here, but if you want i think you should apply for CISSP. Work experience does matter, no doubt; but if you pass the exam it proves you have the knowledge. That way you're ready for the opportunity if it does come along.

Lastly, Symantec Endpoint Protection does a piss poor job in the company, can you please change the settings.. icon_wink.gif

PS: I know him.. :D
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Parth wrote: »
    Hussain if you have the money, go for SSCP (doesn't have great value in India). But SSCP will prepare you for CISSP and is worth it.

If you want to go for technical side of security (analyst, architect or engineer) go for GIAC certifications. Certification Roadmap

If you want return for money *quick* for the cert but want to learn vendor specific go for CCSP or CCIE - Security (I doubt if there is a CCIE - Security from India).

Go for CISM / CISA if you want to go to managerial side of information security.

I'm not going against what has been said here, but if you want i think you should apply for CISSP. Work experience does matter, no doubt; but if you pass the exam it proves you have the knowledge. That way you're ready for the opportunity if it does come along.

Lastly, Symantec Endpoint Protection does a piss poor job in the company, can you please change the settings.. icon_wink.gif

PS: I know him.. :D

It proves you passed a test. Knowledge is gained by experience. just because CISSP may be listed as a requirement on a job doesn't mean you can walk into a hiring managers office and not actually have ever implemented anything you're talking about. It would be a very short interview if you were one of my candidates. I want to know what's worked during your career and why not what the book told you is best practise.

You don't need CISSP/CISM/CISA to get into Info Sec. You get in gain experience and then write these exams. That's the whole point of the certifications. It's 2009 people don't get into IT management positions often without the technical knowledge to back them up.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    You didn't tell us what other certs you have and what experience you have ?

I suggest you go for other certs now such as OSCP, CEH, GPEN,...etc. Take the time to get more technical experience before you go for CISSP...having strong technical experience will help you later in whatever position you want to go for.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    kellyjohnkellyjohn Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It is a big area and is constantly growing and changing. Before you go shooting for the CISSP, you need to have some experience, namely five years and a CISSP to sponsor you for the exam. As far as degrees go, you should look for a network/information security major. You'll have to start at the bottom. Become a junior admin, move up. If your employer or technical staffing team is committed to IT Security and requires certification of practitioners, the certification can be used to qualify for promotion or for raises.