Options

Network Documentation Template

PiotrIrPiotrIr Member Posts: 236
Could you help me to find good network documentation template please?
I try to prepare full documentation of network for company which has no documents and standards at all. I found some templates in web but they are not very good.

So maybe somebody with experience with this kind of work – which I don’t like but understand importance, can point me to something useful? Unfortunately documentation has to be as deep as possible.

Many thanks

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I second this. I am beginning documentation of a 600 seat network with multiple remote locations to satisfy PCI requirements and am looking for a clear and concise documentation methodology. I want to have a fairly clear idea of how I'm going to do all of this before I begin.
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Will this help?

Network Documentation Made Easy with SYDI

I've used it for documenting our production servers.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    PiotrIrPiotrIr Member Posts: 236
    Hi arwes,

Thanks for your reply
    I’m looking for documentation template and methodology, not only for inventorying software.

Kind Regards
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    PiotrIr wrote: »
    Hi arwes,

Thanks for your reply
    I’m looking for documentation template and methodology, not only for inventorying software.

Kind Regards

Take the time to actually look at what arwes suggested for you. That does not only do inventory. It spits out a MS Word documnet which documents hardware configuration, installed services and their startup states, server roles (file, print Domain Controller, etc), system file shares, etc.

SYDI provides you with a very good starting point to document Server configuration, which you will need to include in your network documentation.