How would you prepare....MCITP: SA & EA boot camp ?

morpheous7411morpheous7411 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I got confirmation today that the company will pay for my MCITP Server Administrator and Enterprise Administrator boot camp which will take place towards the end of January 2010. I have been pondering for a while whether to go with the MCSA/MCSE or the new MCITP SA/EA, however, it seems that has been decided for me by my company, as you can not beat fully paid boot camp.

My question to you guys/gals is what is the best way to start to prepare right now, so I can take full advantage of the boot camp early next year ? I was thinking of starting with the CBT videos. I looked at CBT Nuggets and they only have a series for people upgrading from MCSA/MCSE, they do not have a series of CBTs for people starting the MCITP: SA/EA from scratch ( meaning that it has videos for all the objectives of the individual exams). Has any one used Training Signal or Testout videos for this? Which one would you recommend?

I will need to get up to speed fast as boot camp is only about three months away.

As usual, I appreciate in advance all the help I get from you awesome dudes and dudettes.
MCITP : Enterprise Administrator
MCITP : Server Administrator
CCNA : Cisco Certified Network Associate
ITIL V3 Foundation
CompTIA : A+, Network+, Security+, Server+

Currently working on Cisco Certified Network Professional CCNP's ROUTE Exam.

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I really like TestOut for their sims. I think that Train Signal or TestOut will be the way to go on these, although CBTN is never a bad choice. I think Train Signal and TestOut tend to go a little deeper than CBTN, whose instructors tend to "waste" time being entertaining, rather than just getting to the point.

EDIT: As a disclaimer, I have not seen any of these for the 2008 exams.
  • texasittexasit Member Posts: 147
    I really like TestOut for their sims. I think that Train Signal or TestOut will be the way to go on these, although CBTN is never a bad choice. I think Train Signal and TestOut tend to go a little deeper than CBTN, whose instructors tend to "waste" time being entertaining, rather than just getting to the point.

I agree with Trainsignal being great on 2000 and 2003 server but their 2008 material is not as in depth.I like CBT nuggets in general they have went in to good detail for me on the 2003 and 2008 videos I've seen.Testout was good on its 70-642 material.
  • morpheous7411morpheous7411 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□

Thanks I will check them out.
    ITIL V3 Foundation

• morpheous7411morpheous7411 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    texasit wrote: »
    I agree with Trainsignal being great on 2000 and 2003 server but their 2008 material is not as in depth.I like CBT nuggets in general they have went in to good detail for me on the 2003 and 2008 videos I've seen.Testout was good on its 70-642 material.

This is all I see from CBT Nuggets as far as MCITP SA/EA is concerned:

"MCITP: Enterprise Administrator Certification Package -- Upgrading Your MCSE to MCITP " which only covers three exams 70-647 , 70-649 and 70-620.

Do you think it cover enough ground for the remaining exams for people who are not upgrading from MCSA/MCSE ?
    ITIL V3 Foundation

• Graham_84Graham_84 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    From what i have heard about boot camps, i wouldnt go spending to much on anything. I think they will provide you with all the training/books/labs you will need. I suggest being well rested before going on one as your brain will likely be mush after with the amount of work injected into you. One of my collegues couldnt look at a server for a while after, especially if you doing EA and SA.
    Currently having a break after the MCITP:EA. Citrix or Cisco next, not sure!
  • stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A am a little torn about boot camps, I think they try to cram alot of information into a week of class. While I have taken 16 week classes at me college covering the same stuff. As an administrator I feel like I would still need to babysit you on the systems until proven other wise. Reason I have seen some of this myself in my 6 yrs.

I also have my own way of going about IT practices that have been in grained in me from the classes. A real world experience would allow you to setup your company manage it how you want it. Once you can manage it this way you have the power to kick back and relax and study while getting paid, because you will know your systems are running smooth and your polices have dictated that new router or sever that is up for replacing you can invest you knowledge on the new equipment.

With that said, I want to work in computer forensics while I know that you can do some self study, it is best to go to a boot or school for this, but its only to get hands on lab stuff. While this is kinda of the same thing its total different for me because I already know what I want to get from it.

just my .02
    Free Reading : History Books
  • dfosbennerdfosbenner Member Posts: 106
    Congrats to you on getting the opportunity to go to a boot camp! I did this in 1999, I went to a 16 day boot camp (ACREW, a now-defunct place out in Colorado), to become an MCSE on Win NT 4.0. At the time, I'd been using NT for about 3 years, but in a very small single location environment. Like you, I had about 2-3 months advance notice, and my company was paying.

The argument about boot camps, "paper certifications" and all that stuff I'll leave for another day. I'll just say that for someone making a career in IT, the camp can be one of many ways to develop skills, as opposed to the only way. You obviously want the skills since you're looking to prepare ahead.

Since I had 6 exams to do, I did research and bought what was the highest rated book for each exam, and studied them all before heading to the camp. The camp was rigorous and intense. 16 people there, including some new to IT. All but one made it through, although there were some exam retakes. We studied for hours every night in the lab after dinner. All my cert upgrades after that were done via self-study, but the approach and regimen I learned at the camp stick with me to this day. It was an awesome experience, and sometimes a little brutal.

I would recommend the MS Press kits for each of your exams, and study as much as you can ahead of time to give you an edge. (If the camp provides you with these, they may give you a credit if you buy them ahead of time).

As much as I thought I knew going in, it was still very tough. When you are there, eat healthy, get proper rest, and try to keep your brain working productively as opposed to burning out.

The "high" I had when I was done was indescribable, I haven't experienced anything else like it ever since.

Now, morpheous, go follow the white rabbit!
    MCTS
    MCITP: SA & EA
    MCSE: NT, 2000, 2003
    MCSA: 2000, 2003