Options

Voip question from noob :)

SurferdudeHBSurferdudeHB Member Posts: 199 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

I apologize for the uneducated questions..

What do you call it when in a network you only use G.711 for codec accross the board and don't bother compressing to other codecs such as G.729a.

Does a remote IP phone need to register to its local LAN first then communicate to the cluster at the headquarter?

Comments

• Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I haven't heard only using G.711 being called anything in particular, other than calling it a bad use of technologies available today. It uses more bandwidth than a normal call would.

As for a remote phone, most vendors allow you to specify where your voip management server is within the phone, aka hardcoding it, so the answer is no, in most cases, you're not going to be forced to register within the LAN. I think it just depends on the vendor and what type of system you're setting up.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    G.711 is best used on the LAN only because of bandwidth requirements. I’m with darkerosxxc – I would call it poor design :)

As for phones on the local LAN, they can register with remote Call Agents but they will need to be a part of the local LAN (ip addressing and so on) for routing considerations.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT