Options

VMWare networking question

NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
My classroom lab consists of 3 machines, 2 are Server 03 and 1 XP client.

Server 1: AD & DNS. NIC1 IP: 192.168.10.1(local domain) NIC2 IP: 192.168.1.1 (campus)
Server 2: DHCP IP: 192.168.10.2
XP Client is getting address through DHCP server

I am recreating this lab at home with VMWare Workstation 6.5 and I was just trying to figure out how to setup the network. I have used bridged mode on single VMs for internet access and I have setup a host only network for a network lab without internet acces but what do I need to do to replicate this setup? Is it possible to add a second virtual NIC to Server1 and have one bridged to the host PC for internet and the other setup on a host only network?

Thanks in advance :D
WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
Start Date: December 2013

Comments

• Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Is it critical to have them within their own VLANs?

If so, you would need some mechanism such as a multihomed router VM to route the traffic between the two logical networks. OR, separate physical NICs connected to physically separate networks, and something to route the traffic between the two.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    I have used bridged mode on single VMs for internet access and I have setup a host only network for a network lab without internet acces but what do I need to do to replicate this setup? Is it possible to add a second virtual NIC to Server1 and have one bridged to the host PC for internet and the other setup on a host only network?

Sure is ..

2laprus.png

The network configurator also lets you configure your own network interfaces
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks a lot :D I figured I would be able to do something like that but I am still pretty new to VMWare.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    This worked perfectly for what I was trying to do, I replicated the lab, had the VMs and team info on an external hard drive and I was able to bring it into class and work on the lab using a single machine but that stirred up a new question in my mind.

Our lab computers at school are already running Server 03, I assume it would be possible to use the host as a replacement to the Server1 VM so I would only have to run 2 VMs on it, Server2 and the XPClient?

To do this would I need to use a bridged connection for each of my VMs?

The physical NIC on the host computer will be configured to connect to the campus network, how would I go about assigning it a virtual NIC with the Server1 IP 192.168.10.1? Or is that what VMnet1 and VMnet8 are in my host's network connections? If so, which of those do I need to use or does that matter?

BTW can anyone recommend a good book for learning VMWare Workstation?
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    This worked perfectly for what I was trying to do, I replicated the lab, had the VMs and team info on an external hard drive and I was able to bring it into class and work on the lab using a single machine but that stirred up a new question in my mind.

Our lab computers at school are already running Server 03, I assume it would be possible to use the host as a replacement to the Server1 VM so I would only have to run 2 VMs on it, Server2 and the XPClient?

To do this would I need to use a bridged connection for each of my VMs?

The physical NIC on the host computer will be configured to connect to the campus network, how would I go about assigning it a virtual NIC with the Server1 IP 192.168.10.1? Or is that what VMnet1 and VMnet8 are in my host's network connections? If so, which of those do I need to use or does that matter?

BTW can anyone recommend a good book for learning VMWare Workstation?

Ok I think I understand how to do this, I now have it setup as a "host only" network on my home computer with a Win7 host. I seem to have communication between the VMs and the host machine so I will take these to the school lab and put them on the Server 03 machine that is running Active Directory to see if these VMs will connect to the host machines domain.
    WGU PROGRESS