Options

Help mapping to a PC

BigLouBigLou Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a router at home with 2 PCs connected to it. From time to time I like to transfer files/folders between both PCs so I map to them (\\hostname\c$) and I just drag folders/files back and forth with no issue.

I recently had to reinstall the OS on one of my PCs (both use XP) and since then I can no longer map between the two PCs. I go to map network drive > select a drive letter > enter \\hostname\c$ > click on different username > then for the credentials i enter hostname\administrator with the password and when I click finish It does not connect, I just keep getting re-prompted for the password > sometimes the credentials box will have the username portion greyed out and its just asking me for the password.

I have fixed this problem once before but for the life of me I cannot remember how I did it. Being that I work in IT I am pretty upset at myself that I cant figure it out. Im sure its something very simple. The firewalls are off, I can ping both machines hostnames and IPs back and forth, i dont think its the accounts since I am using the built in administrator account so what could be preventing me from mapping between the two PCs?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Can you even connect to the share (i.e. in Windows Explorer)? It doesn't sound like the problem is isolated to mapping the drive.

I'd check the security log on the machine you're trying to connect to.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You should take a look at the Local Security Policy too. I think that's where the source of the problem. Let us know if you're still struggling.
  • Options
    The machine I reinstalled the OS on is not the machine I am trying to map too, It is the machine I am trying to map with. The machine I am trying to map to was fine before I reinstalled the OS on the machine I am trying to map with. I can only assume the issue is on the PC with the new OS.

I can remote desktop into both machines fine hmmm

What security policy could probably be preventing this? I dont really see one pertaining to mapping.

Thanks
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    As you can access the other PC's via remote desktop you will possibly find the security and share permissions dont match as you now have a fresh OS rather than the old one, even if you recreate the same accounts they arnt the same.

Check the security / share permissions on the machine you are trying to access and ensure you add a new entry for the new machine, so much so that you can remove the old one and add a new.

Are you using a workgroup or domain? I assume you are using a workgroup which means the account you are using needs to be mirrored on both machines unless when you are mapping drives you specify the COMPUTERNAME\USERNAME.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301281
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    Do the users password match on both of the workstations?
  • Options
    it2bit2b Member Posts: 117
    When I networked my home XP machines I ran the Network Setup Wizard on both PCs.
    Start > Programs > Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard.

That let me browse each machiine via UNC path.
  • Options
    Sie wrote: »

Are you using a workgroup or domain? I assume you are using a workgroup which means the account you are using needs to be mirrored on both machines unless when you are mapping drives you specify the COMPUTERNAME\USERNAME.

How To Share Files and Folders Over a Network for Workgroups in Windows 2000

That's what I am doing. I use the built in administrator account hostname\administrator then I use the admin password on the machine I want to map too
    Do the users password match on both of the workstations?

No I dont think it should have to.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    what happens when you browse/explore your entire network? can you not see the workgroup? workgroups, i assume, are named the same?

Are these all XP, Vista, mixed?
  • Options
    FYI this is the right link for XP rather than 2000 as the last link

How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

Anyway, is the account you are using got a null password as this will not work? Are you using simple file sharing?

Have you tried creating the same user with the the same password on both machines and used this (obviously after configuring permissions)

I dont mean to sound patronising but when you are entering the credentials you are using MACHINECONNECTINGTO\USERNAME ?

Rather than MACHINECONNECTINGFROM\USERNAME ?
  • Options
    Sie wrote: »
    FYI this is the right link for XP rather than 2000 as the last link

How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

Anyway, is the account you are using got a null password as this will not work? Are you using simple file sharing?

Have you tried creating the same user with the the same password on both machines and used this (obviously after configuring permissions)

I dont mean to sound patronising but when you are entering the credentials you are using MACHINECONNECTINGTO\USERNAME ?

Rather than MACHINECONNECTINGFROM\USERNAME ?

All accounts have passwords. Yes I am using machineconnectingto\username
  • Options

Are you using simple file sharing?