Options

Lab Question (I already checked the FAQ)

billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
Hey guys,

I passed my CCNA exam this past Thursday, and I'm looking to start studying toward the CCNP. I wanted to ask about my home lab, and because I didn't see any equipment that I have in any of the FAQs, I figured I would post. You guys are always so help ful :)

My current lab equipment:

1 - 2610XM
2 - 2650XM
1 - 2950 Switch
1 - 1721

What would you say that I would need to add to this lab in order to make it through the entire CCNP labs? Would you say that adding a 3550 would be enough, any recommendations are greatly appreciate, thanks in advanced :)

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It would be nice to have 3 switches for BCMSN -- and hopefully (at least) one of them is a layer 3 switch (3550 still good, 3650 or 3750 are expensive & best).

You can add one more router -- or try Dynagen/GNS3.

5 routers should let you do anything you need for the CCNP (and you already have good routers, so even adding a 2509 or 2511 terminal server would give you an adequate 5th router). But the 4 routers you have now lets you compare real hardware configurations to Dynamips and quickly find/confirm the few Dynamips anomalies.

Dynagen/GNS3 -- with the IOS images you probably/hopefully already have could let you try some "larger labs" -- like a complete "every OSPF options topology" in one lab scenario. And if you are so moved, integrate Dynamips with your real hardware.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    mikej412 wrote: »
    It would be nice to have 3 switches for BCMSN -- and hopefully (at least) one of them is a layer 3 switch (3550 still good, 3650 or 3750 are expensive & best).

You can add one more router -- or try Dynamips/GNS3.

5 routers should let you do anything you need for the CCNP (and you already have good routers, so even adding a 2509 or 2511 terminal server would give you an adequate 5th router). But the 4 routers you have now lets you compare real hardware configurations to Dynamips and quickly find/confirm the few Dynamips anomalies.

Dynamips/GNS3 -- with the IOS images you probably/hopefully already have could let you try some "larger labs" -- like a complete "every OSPF options topology" in one lab scenario. And if you are so moved, integrate Dynamips with your real hardware.

Mike thanks for the reply. I really appreciate all the help and answers that you and everyone else here have given me since I started on the forums. I never even thought about using my IOS images with dynamips, and I don't know why, because I've used dynamips before. Isn't there some type of cable that you need to connect your real equipment to your PC for use in dynamips? I will look into picking up another 2950 since I wanted one already, just hadn't got it yet. I'll look into the prices of the 3550's, 3650's, or 3750's. The good thing is my company will pay for equipment I believe for study purposes. So, I could have the chance to get them to cover the charge on this. The only down fall is that I would have to sign a one year agreement to stay with them, and I don't know if it would be beneficial to do that or just wait until around my tax time, and use that to purchase it. Any recommendations on lab materials or anything like that. I did find a nice guide that you have posted which was a 600+ page PDF file. I'm probably going to pick up the CCNP Cisco Press Books next week.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Dynamips and another 3550 or 2950.

Edit: Check out the Odom CCNP Lab Guide:

www.networkworld.com/community/node/27576