Options

Where can you find the list of routers that support Dot1q

I was curious because I was instructed to perform a lab with my University this morning and on a 3620 there is no ISL or DOT1q configuration choices that I can see anywhere within the IOS. I was wondering if anyone knows if this model supports trunking or not and if there is a place I can search for this in the future and anyone knows it, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advanced guys :)

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    On a 3620, you'd be configuring the trunk encapsulation on a subinterface, not a main one.

create a sub-interface and when in configuration mode for that subint, see if you have the encapsulation command available

And it's usually not the router itself that will support it, but whether or not the IOS version will support it. I know 3640's will do dot1q trunking, so I'd be very surprised if a 3620 wouldn't.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    And yeah, 3620's support 802.1q in the IP Plus set

In general, the Feature Navigator (http://www.cisco.com/go/fn) will help you figure out what platform and IOS image you need for the features you want
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Thank you very much for the post :)
  • Options
    surfthegeckosurfthegecko Member Posts: 149
    Quick question off the back of this one:

Is it not just the IOS that determines if the protocol can be used, or is it down to hardware limitations on some devices?
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Forsaken posted the answer already to that exact question:

"And it's usually not the router itself that will support it, but whether or not the IOS version will support it. I know 3640's will do dot1q trunking, so I'd be very surprised if a 3620 wouldn't."
  • Options
    surfthegeckosurfthegecko Member Posts: 149
    Forsaken posted the answer already to that exact question:

"And it's usually not the router itself that will support it, but whether or not the IOS version will support it. I know 3640's will do dot1q trunking, so I'd be very surprised if a 3620 wouldn't."

I dont see this response when I view this thread, strange.... *Off to clear cookies and temp files*
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    or is it down to hardware limitations on some devices?
    The "general rule" is that you need at least a 100Mb interface.... (and an IOS feature set with the support)
    except the 1720 with 100Mb doesn't support 802.1Q trunking
    except the 2600 10Mb with a 12.2( 8 ) T and IP Plus or greater IOS can.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!