Options

Metro-e/carrier etherent certifications

Just wondering if anyone has heard of any metro etherent or carrier etherent certifications coming out for individuals. Since it seems to be on of the next big things I would think either MEF or a vendor like cisco or ciena may be but I have not heard of anything icon_redface.gif
Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just wondering if anyone has heard of any metro etherent or carrier etherent certifications coming out for individuals. Since it seems to be on of the next big things I would think either MEF or a vendor like cisco or ciena may be but I have not heard of anything icon_redface.gif

I think Cisco have some metro ethernet certs buried away somewhere haven't they?
  • Options
    Firemarshalbill.comFiremarshalbill.com Member Posts: 128
    I have been looking, found an expired one that may have been close but nothing so far icon_rolleyes.gif
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Options
    CarrierEthernetProfCarrierEthernetProf Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You're question if very timely! As it turns out the MEF is just starting to work on this and will probably be ready to announce the plan following the upcoming quarterly meeting in Washington, DC 10/26-29. Stay tuned!

As a current MEF board member, I've done some research as well (like Turgon) and didn't really find anything else out there I'm looking to see if there is interest in getting something started. Several vendors have some stuff buried in other classes, but noone (yet) offers an independent specific course on Carrier Ethernet and MEF related specs. I'd love to get the feedback from this community as we proceed. Let me know if you're interested in contributing to the formation of the program and content, or just want to be contacted when its done!
  • Options
    TecTec Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ciena quietly launched a full 4-tier Carrier Ethernet certification program last month in London. It will be curriculum in community colleges across the US this fall. It is not product specific but rather focuses on Carrier Ethernet as a technology. Really hot. It is already on the Ciena site at Ciena - Carrier Ethernet Certifications
  • Options
    CarrierEthernetProf

I am currently a member of the MEF. My company is the largest cable provider and is launching metro-e/mpls enterprise services all over the US. I am currently hiring sales/design engineers and would like to have the ethernet certification as a training path

I would bery much like to be involved as much as possible.

my email is bill_donahue@cable.comcast.com

I am also on linkedin at http://www.linkedin.com/in/firemarshalbill
    if anyone wants to connect to me
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Options
    Thanks Tec I am going to take a look.

Also as an FYI, there is an underscore between my email first and last names in my previous post

thanks
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You're question if very timely! As it turns out the MEF is just starting to work on this and will probably be ready to announce the plan following the upcoming quarterly meeting in Washington, DC 10/26-29. Stay tuned!

As a current MEF board member, I've done some research as well (like Turgon) and didn't really find anything else out there I'm looking to see if there is interest in getting something started. Several vendors have some stuff buried in other classes, but noone (yet) offers an independent specific course on Carrier Ethernet and MEF related specs. I'd love to get the feedback from this community as we proceed. Let me know if you're interested in contributing to the formation of the program and content, or just want to be contacted when its done!

By all means PM me with some details.

Thanks
  • Options
    TecTec Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The MEF is launching a new Carrier Ethernet Certification Program. The announcement says it is the first standardized certification and it is a profesional level. Some time ago the MEF had a failed attempt at putting togerther a full certification program. The content was lacking and they pulled away from trying to do that. They have now put together some questions and are selling the test. They will be relying on third-party companies to provide training. The only program out there that offers both the training and certification is from Ciena. It is an industry-standard certification and has been out there now for two years. It would be nice to have the MEF certification from a career perspective but it seems like a tag-a-long.