Options

Question regarding connection to router @work

BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
We were doing some work in our server room over the weekend because they were replacing a transformer in our building and we actually a chance to move servers and clean up our racks a bit. We don't have any managable routers in our office, our ISP handles everything. I never really took a look at the cisco we have in there before.. But I noticed that it has a cable coming from the demarc and goes into the console port on the 2600 router. Then we have a cable from the Fast ethernet port to our switches.

I've never heard of this and haven't seen it before it my cisco studies... But from putting everything together, it looks like we're getting our WAN link from the console port on the router? Anyone able to tell me how this is possible? Just curious.

Comments

• Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    That would be hilarious if true, but I doubt it is. Are you sure this is a console port and not a T1 WAN WIC port? Is the cable a rollover (flat cable) because you might just be looking at a terminal or dialup connection.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Stotic wrote: »
    That would be hilarious if true, but I doubt it is. Are you sure this is a console port and not a T1 WAN WIC port? Is the cable a rollover (flat cable) because you might just be looking at a terminal or dialup connection.

+1

I'm assuming you saw a remote management connection or had mistaken the WAN port for the console port.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    no unfortunately its true... I wouldn't be surprised if I got laughed at considering one of the interviews I had a few months ago one of the sys admins asked me some questions how we run things and he was cracking up.

I'm like, see why I want to get out of here?

I could seriously take a few pics with my blackberry and show you guys. Its not a joke... I can't figure it out either.

We mostly have adtrans in our offices and our secondary line is an adtran, and I know their lines go to the WAN port.

But I know what I'm looking at, a few pics I could probably reinforce it. Its a white cable, running from the wall, into our router. And a yellow ethernet cord going from the FE port to our switch.
  • Options
    btw The box on the wall says "ISP Name" T1 DHDU
  • Options
    Post the pics. I've set up backup dial out the AUX, but I don't think you could even get a T1 to work through a console port.
  • Options
    Post the pics. I've set up backup dial out the AUX, but I don't think you could even get a T1 to work through a console port.

Here they are. The one with the router is pretty dark but you can tell it goes Fast Ethernet/Console/AUX

The router is pretty dark, the flash didn't work well it just reflected off the back. The other guy i work with said he didn't touch it and I told him I thought it was wierd plugged into that. Right above it is the CSU/DSU port and its empty.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3317/img00376.jpg

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/2471/img00373.jpg
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    BigTone wrote: »
    Here they are. The one with the router is pretty dark but you can tell it goes Fast Ethernet/Console/AUX

The router is pretty dark, the flash didn't work well it just reflected off the back. The other guy i work with said he didn't touch it and I told him I thought it was wierd plugged into that. Right above it is the CSU/DSU port and its empty.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3317/img00376.jpg

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/2471/img00373.jpg

Interesting...Lab it up networker:)
  • Options
    It looks like they have a remote console connection set up. I doubt highly that is your company's WAN connection, if it is you truly do learn something new everyday. Are you sure this thing isn't just doing router on a stick or something? I'd be interested in seeing the config.
  • Options
    Interesting...Lab it up networker:)

I would if I knew how!
  • Options
    Not that I know of... I'd really like to get into the router as well to see what was going on.

If you set our servers to do a ping to google it pings fine and then pull out that console cable and it immediately drops out. It completely baffles me.... I just did a double take this weekend when I realized how it was plugged in.
  • Options
    Not that I know of... I'd really like to get into the router as well to see what was going on.

If you set our servers to do a ping to google it pings fine and then pull out that console cable and it immediately drops out. It completely baffles me.... I just did a double take this weekend when I realized how it was plugged in.

Wow that is weird. I guess it can technically be used as an async line, but I've never seen anything like that. You would be limited in speed for sure.

I'm off to google to see what I can dig up, maybe someone will come along with some experience in this scenario.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just a thought: I would be careful about posting pics, etc. Your company may not be thrilled about photos of their hardware setup being posted online.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Just a thought: I would be careful about posting pics, etc. Your company may not be thrilled about photos of their hardware setup being posted online.

Sounds like they're clueless anyway, I wouldn't worry too much.
  • Options

I didn't post anything with any identifiable info on it. My boss is very chill and would welcome any kind of positive troubleshooting that helped the network.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I didn't post anything with any identifiable info on it. My boss is very chill and would welcome any kind of positive troubleshooting that helped the network.

Okay, I just hate to see someone get in trouble who is only trying to learn.
  • Options
    Wierd.......

590159907.png

That showed up as our location was in Dallas... we're actually in chicago...

Our bonded T1 showed up fine, in the chicago area.

590157254.png
  • Options
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    That showed up as our location was in Dallas... we're actually in chicago...
    It doesn't mean much. It is just looking up the ARIN database details for your IP address. The netblock is owned by Global Crossing and their HQ or NOC must be in Dallas.
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just a guess but is it possible that you have more then that one connection then the one in the picture? And is it possible that some Joe disconnected it and then just plugged it back in to one that he thought looked good? I work some people like this and am wondering if that is correct.
  • Options
    actually, I just found out this was our MPLS router to our datacenter, so not the T1.... not sure if that changes things or not.
  • Options
    I'm thinking its doing some kind of router on a stick or something. Can you call the provider or who ever manages it and get a config? I'm curious now.
  • Options
    I'm thinking its doing some kind of router on a stick or something. Can you call the provider or who ever manages it and get a config? I'm curious now.

I don't get why it would drop when he unplugs the console cable.
  • Options
    Basically I think what happened, though he would never admit it, was our network security guy came in on saturday and was screwing around with stuff, cutting and shortening cables and the like, and he unplugged it from the CSU/DSU module right above it and then plugged it back in.

I've been on the phone with them for about 4 hours today because our MPLS line was down. The other guy is probably a bit too proud to say that he plugged it in the wrong spot. Either way, it looks like the CSU/DSU module went bad. they are coming to replace it tomorrow.

But after all of this is done, I'll see if I can get a config out of them for you Networker :)
  • Options
    If that was the case then why did your internet go down when you unplugged it? Unless you were pulling our chain on that one....
  • Options
    apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    The only thing remotely questionable is the possible circuit ID in the second pic. I am going to go back to not being paranoid now.
  • Options
    .... Funny joke?

I guess it wasn't..... *ducks under the table* It was my own fault, I saw the line go down in a ping but it was to our datacenter and I said internet.... so yeah...

But either way it was that other guys fault for plugging into the console port right!? Right!
  • Options

I'm on my way wouldn't ya say? 1 mistake at a time.
  • Options
    XenzXenz Member Posts: 140
    This thread reminds me of a joke, 3 Polish guys...
    Currently working on:
    CCNP, 70-620 Vista 70-290 Server 2003
    Packet Tracer activities and ramblings on my blog:
    http://www.sbntech.info
  • Options
    The world makes sense again, haha. I was really confused for a bit.