Options

I am one PPPositively happy CHAPpy

surfthegeckosurfthegecko Member Posts: 149
Passed CCNA today managed a 865 so only just, but felt good.

It did however highlight that my switching is my weakest area of knowledge so going to go over this chapter as well.

The next question is what to take next?

I really want to do my CCVP, but am I right in thinking it is a tough one to do if you haven't done your CCNP first?

A few people have mentioned that the CCNP is at the foundation to a lot of further understand.

What do you guys think.
Thanks
Nick

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Congrats!

I don't know if I would complete all of the CCNP for the other Pro certs, but I'd definitely get familiar with the topics in BCMSN and BSCI. That's a good base for networking.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, cheers for your help over the past couple of days Billscott!

Good shout Colby.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

Both the CCVP and CCSP Forum FAQs have the "CCxP before CCNP" sections.

If you have an opportunity at work in X (where X equals Voice or Security) at your current job -- and it's something you think you'd want to do or get into -- then you can "skip" the CCNP for now, and "back-fill" later.

The CCNP routing & switching skills are important for the X (again, X = Voice or Security) field if you want to be a "top performer" -- but since breaking into the field can be difficult without experience, a lot of times it's worth jumping at an opportunity.

If you don't have Voice (or Security) experience now -- and no opportunity to get any at your current job -- then the CCNP would probably open up more doors for you. Then your CCNA/CCNP experience, along with CCNA:V and CCVP Certifications could open future doors.....
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Good advice Mike.

There is scope for Voice at my place, so will read the forum sections and go down that path.
  • Options
    XenzXenz Member Posts: 140
    If you want to stick with learning stuff, learn what you want to or you'll get burned out pretty quickly.
    Currently working on:
    CCNP, 70-620 Vista 70-290 Server 2003
    Packet Tracer activities and ramblings on my blog:
    http://www.sbntech.info
  • Options
    SatcomSatcom Member Posts: 110
    icon_cheers.gif 15 + days for me... fly or die
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I recommend the same as well, make sure you choose something that you are going to enjoy learning as well. It makes it easier to learn in my opinion and you seem to be more determined to learn it as well.
  • Options
    Cheers All!!!

Good luck to you Satcom.

That confirms it, CCVP it is.