Network+ Update? When is my book going to be outdated?

qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
Hi, I recently purchased this book off of Amazon,
http://s1.amazon.ca/exec/varzea/ts/exchange-glance/Y03Y0727124Y7905228/702-1929218-9249669

Then I came across websites saying theres going to be a update somewhere in 2005, but not sure exactly when. I was wondering if anyone knew how long I had to study this book and go for the exam?
World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.

Comments

• D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    Don't sweat it, i have 2 books that will be out dated next year. All-In-One Network+ 2nd edition & Faster, Smarter Network+ certification (Which I picked up from a Boarders outlet store for $10 icon_wink.gif ). Anyway I plan to have Network+ way before next year, I am already studying for it and plan to take the exam this weekend. So If I was you I would get studying should be able to pass the exam way before the new objectives come along, Just don't waste anytime.... You can do it icon_wink.gif
  • qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    Do you know when they will be updating the objectives though? So I can kinda put a timeframe and manage my study times?

I've never gotten any certifications yet, I'm going for A+ for sure but I'm just asking about this because I just purchased the book off Amazon.

Aswell, from your personal experiences, how much studying did you actually do when using a book? Did you go through every page even if it's knowledge you already knew?

Thanks for the quick response so far.
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    I'm not sure when the New objectives start, but I think you have enough time maybe about 6 months from now. I normally read a book front to back. I also use Transcender practice Tests. I think you should be able to do A+ within a month & Network+ in a month or less. So I think you need about 2 months in all... If you can do it in that time frame then you wouldn't even have to worry about when the new 2005 objectives for Net+ come in, but that depends on how much time you can study for... everyone is different...

I am studying at work and home. I used to take a book into work and read it when I wasn't busy or had no work to do. One day my boss told me I couldn't read a book when I'm not busy so I just read the Technotes from this website in PDF icon_wink.gif
    Ok well, I'm also interested in doing this beause I'm taking a network systems technology course in college. I really want to be ahead of my fellow peers once I finish college so thats why I'm looking into it now.

I think it will also benefit me in school if I had this knowledge ahead of time. Thanks for your input here and also in the A+ question I had.

Feeling confident already.
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    According to CompTIA's website (the authoritative source for answers to questions like this), the new objectives will go into place at the end of the 2005 instructional year, which would suggest mid to late spring.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
    What do you guys think about taking the Network+ test before the A+?

The book is ALOT smaller, possibly around 200 pages, and it's "Comptia Certified"

lol "QUALITY OF SEAL!"

EDIT:
    How long do you think it should take me to study the network+?

The book seems liek it's 400-500 pages smaller.
    You wouldnt be the first nor the last to do it. Four weeks should be more than plenty to get through it but your mileage will vary...
    lazyart wrote:
    your mileage will vary...

That meaning depending on the person, it might be longer or less?

Or you trying to say, you won't get out of it as much?
    If you apply yourself to it, 4 weeks would be plenty. I did it in two, but I had a good chunk of real world experience with equipment, am familiar with port numbers, etc.

Read the book, read the technotes here and take practice exams. I think Net+ has a narrower scope than A+ and is therefore easier.
    Thanks,
    gonna start studying the book this weekend sice my midterms will be done by then.
  • rwwddavisrwwddavis Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How long the A+ and Net+ take you will be largely dependent upon how much experience you have going in..If you are a complete newbie plan on spending 120 hours (at least) for the A+..Same for the Net+..and I would take the A+ first if I were you
  • crabeatercrabeater Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    http://www.comptia.org/pressroom/get_pr.aspx?prid=484
    is the link to the article at CompTIA site.

They say : “We plan to introduce the upgraded certification exam (the version that tests against the 2005 objectives) to coincide with the conclusion of the 2004-2005 academic year,” said Kris Madura, certification program manager, CompTIA.

So you have until maybe June 2005.
    Good Luck.