Options

How do I set a local IE policy?

brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
I have a user here that does not login to the domain, they're in a workgroup, so they wont get any group policy.

The user is clearing out the recent documents and IE history, which I need to stop. If I put their username into the local "users" group...im thinking I could set a local security policy to prevent them from clearing out their history etc.

I looked in the admin tools--> local security policy, and couldnt find anything for IE.

Given that we dont have any data recovery tools for this user, what could I do? Its an XP box in a workgroup, not wired through our firewall, but I can manage the laptop.

Comments

• Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You want to edit the local group policy. You can do this by clicking Start->Run-> and typing "gpedit.msc" (without quotes). The option you want is located under Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer -> Delete Browsing History.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    that sounds exactly like what i need to do.

i tried to do that on my machine...but being on a domain and having the "admin tools" installed...i get the domain GP window
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hmmm, I'm not sure why you're getting the domain gp. Are you logged on locally to a domain controller? If that's the case then you probably want to try the gpedit tool on a machine that isn't a DC.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    Hmmm, I'm not sure why you're getting the domain gp. Are you logged on locally to a domain controller? If that's the case then you probably want to try the gpedit tool on a machine that isn't a DC.

i got the domain gp b/c im on the domain and i have the admin tools installed.

i went to the non-domain machine, added GP as a snap in on the local machine, and got it to work though.

Thanks.