Options

What to study for the CCNA?

PanarchyPanarchy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good Morning,

Yesterday I sat my 70-290 MCP, which makes my grand total of certifications the following;

Cisco;
  • IT: Essentials
  • CCNA Discovery 1
  • CCNA Exploration 1

Microsoft;
  • Microsoft Certified Professional (70-270)
  • Microsoft Certified Professional (70-290)

CompTIA;
  • Security+ (SY0-201)

The next certification I'm going for is the Cisco Certified Network Administrator (CCNA) accreditation.

Could you please recommend some study materials?

Of all the certifications I've studied for, it seems that the CCNA has the greatest number of Study Materials (books, videos, tapes/audio, labs & practice exams/quizzes), which is why I am writing here to find out which is the best.

Please tell me which one you think is the best, and why.

Thanks in advance,

Chip D. Panarchy

BTW: Planning to sit the test by the end of next month...

Comments

• Options
    ncsugrad2002ncsugrad2002 Member Posts: 131
    CBT Nuggets
    Todd Lamelle's book--google it
    Cisco's offical book

And some equipment to practice on, of course :)
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would say that Todd Lamell's CCNA book is okay.
    Theres also the CCNA library 7th edition and the 3rd edition.
    3rd being older but has more study material with it.
    Theres also the exam cram CCNA book out there.

You can find all this on amazon.com or barnes and noble (might be cheaper if you're a member with coupons)

Check out the other posts for cisco gear if you haven't already. If you can't afford the gear, I suggest that you get packet tracer.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Panarchy,
    Panarchy wrote: »
    Good Morning,

Yesterday I sat my 70-290 MCP, which makes my grand total of certifications the following;

Cisco;
    • CCNA Discovery 1
    • CCNA Exploration 1

I regret to inform you that the above are not certifications. They are Cisco Networking Academy course completions.
    Microsoft;

CompTIA;
    • Security+ (SY0-201)

The next certification I'm going for is the Cisco Certified Network Administrator (CCNA) accreditation.

CCNA doesn't stand for "Cisco Certified Network Administrator." CCNA stands for "Cisco Certified Network Associate."

Keep going in the Cisco Networking Academy curriculum in either the CCNA Discovery curriculum or the CCNA Exploration curriculum. Both curriculums are designed to prepare the student for the 640-802 CCNA certification exam. However, the first two courses in the CCNA Discovery curriculum are designed towards the 640-822 ICND1 certification exam that leads to CCENT certification.
    Of all the certifications I've studied for, it seems that the CCNA has the greatest number of Study Materials (books, videos, tapes/audio, labs & practice exams/quizzes), which is why I am writing here to find out which is the best.

The best is the Cisco Networking Academy.
    Thanks in advance,

Chip D. Panarchy

I don't think it's feasible (intended EIGRP joke) to compress the equivalent of the CCNA Discovery 2 through 4 curriculum materials or the equivalent of the CCNA Exploration 2 through 4 curriculum materials into only one and a half months.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good Morning,

Cisco;
    • CCNA Discovery 1
    • CCNA Exploration 1

Microsoft;

CompTIA;
    • Security+ (SY0-201)

Thanks in advance,

Chip D. Panarchy

Here's what I did in 1999.

8 weeks with Todd Lammles book. Passed CCNA. One week before starting a new job obtained a Cisco router and configured it to death. Stayed in the job 2.5 years and designed, implemented and supported Cisco networks throughout the company.
  • Options
    davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    These guys pretty much covered it...

KNOW SUBNETTING!!!

By the way, did you get two different certificates for the 70-270 and 70-290?

Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Look through the FAQ at the top of the forum. Will give you some good hints and tips.
    Kam.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I would recommend the ICND1 and ICND2 books Cisco Press by Wendell Odom. I used them, as well as the Train Signal videos and only CBT Nuggets for Frame Relay review. I would watch a video, then read that portion in the text as well, to help it sink in. Know subnetting, practice, practice, practice. You can use these sites to practice subnetting:

subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online

Subnetting Quiz #1

Subnetting Quiz #2 (CIDR)
  • Options
    PanarchyPanarchy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've got a couple of Cisco 800 Series routers around.

I'll have to check, but I think they're 837.

Will they be enough for my CCNA lab?

Also, I've gotten a few books ordered through work (Sybex CCNA - Todd Lammle & ExamCram 3rd Edition), as well as some of the video tutorials. :D

Will that be enough for me to pass?

Work suggested I do my CCENT first... not sure though.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy