Options

help on getting cisco Lab

xzyanxzyan Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I passed my ccna as well as ccna voice, I did my ccna with lab that I set up @ home, for my ccna voice, I just read the cisco press and exam cram. now I would like to set a voice lab and I am looking for cheap way to do it. my budget is about 300 to 400 dollars.

can some one be kind and write the least of Ithems that I need to proceed to gain CCVP. I know I can do this w/ VMWARE OR GNS. but I would like to have a lab set up

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi,

As you already have some hardware used for you CCNA and CCNA-Voice, it may be possible to reuse it.

Could you let us know what you have?

My basic voice lab:
    HQ router
    2691 with adventerprisek9-ivs IOS (allows gatekeeper functionallity), VIC-2FXO, VIC-2FXS, VWIC-1MFT-E1/T1, AIM-VOICE30, WIC-2T
    Branch router
    1760 with adventerprisek9 IOS (running CME), VWIC-1MFT-E1/T1, PVDM, WIC-2T
    Shared
    3524-PWR switch VLan'd to support both routers
    4 handsets 2 x 7912, 2 x 7960
    CUCM running on VMware

The WIC-2T's allow testing voip dial-peers over the WAN (such as it is)
    The VWIC-1MFT-E1/T1 allow configuration/testing of CAS/PRI/QSig/indial and test pots dial-peers (E1/T1 cross-over cable required).
    The 2691 allows configuration/testing for gatekeeper.

There are obviously many variations possible on this setup, but it should give you an idea where to start. You can also expand on this as time goes on, and money allows. I built my full lab up over 2 years, making sure I could reuse components from my CCNA in my CCNA-Voice that could be further reused in CCVP.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Dave
  • Options
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply ..I am sorry to confuse you, I do not have a voice lab yet, that is my goal..I only have data router.. the problem , is I need to know what hardware I need to get. I have access to cisco ios's ..

ccna lab-
    3 x 2600 router
    1 x 2501 router --frame-relay switch
    4 x 2900 switches

now I need VOICE lab equip

Thanks again
  • Options
    Hi,

Not a problem, its early here, probably about 5:30am my time when i posted back, so was still half asleep.

The 2501 you can reuse for frame-relay WAN.
    The 2900's can be used, but be aware they lack some of the commands to support voice, but this can be worked around.
    The 2600's, are they the "classic" 2600's or the 2600XM's?

Single router suggestion:
    2600XM series with a gatekeeper capable IOS with 48F/128D or 256D, a voice network module (NM-2V I think), VIC-2FXS, VIC-2FXO, pending budget a AIM-VOICE30 and a VWIC-1MFT-E1 or T1.
    3 x 7940 handsets with power bricks.

Twin router suggestion:
    2600XM series with a gatekeeper capable IOS with 48F/128D or 256D.
    1751/1760 with max flash/dram, a PVDM-256K-12, VIC-2FXS, VIC-2FXO, pending budget a VWIC-1MFT-E1 or T1.
    3 x 7940 handsets with power bricks.

Depending on cost, the NM-2V and AIM-VOICE30 (single router suggestion) could cost more than a 1760 and a PVDM-256K-12. You might not be able to configure all the E1/T1 channels, but its only a lab so you don't need to. And while it may mean swapping routers to do your configs, it could be cheaper.

Also, not sure where you are, but don't be affraid to look outside your own countries eBay. I'm in Australia and have bought from US, UK and Ireland cheaper than I can here at times, with faster delivery too.

While you could use GNS for the gatekeeper router, I find it painfully slow and resource hungry. Plus I like to have a physical device I can see and configure, its more real world.

Hope this helps,
    Cheers,
    Dave
  • Options
    dave Gm.

thanks for the reply . I just ordred a hp dl360 so I can install CM on it . do you think that will work ?

Thanks
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For the CCNA:Voice it would be nice to have a UC520, but you can get by with a 2650XM or 2651XM running CME & and AIM-CUE. And having another voice router so that you had somewhere to call would be nice.

If you're building a voice lab for the CCVP, there is a Lab Section in the CCVP FAQ

The MC3810s are still nice for starting out -- if you can find a good and cheap one. Don't buy an empty chassis that you'd have to pay a bunch of money to make functional again.

1760s tricked out for voice would get you the rest of the way through the CCVP. The 2600XM are another option, and the Voice module carriers are getting cheaper. The 1760s can support VICs directly once you've installed the PVDM module(s).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Hi,

Just had a look back through my docs, I can only see the HP DL320 and DL380 supported but this may have changed. The cost effective option is to install CUCM directly in VMware, works fine with no modification unlike CCM v4.x. May be a little slow to access, but that depends on the PC you run it on, you still need to have 2G ram allocated on the VM to run it. I'm running it on an IBM x306 server which I originally bought for CCM v4.x as part of my 12 month build up of my voice lab. You tend not to notice the cost as much then. :)

Mike is right about the UC520 and the AIM/NM-CUE, both would be nice to have but expensive for a home lab. You can get away with the screen shots of Cisco Configuration Assistant for UC520 admin. I bought a NM-CUE back in April for my CCNA-Voice, cheapest on eBay I could find at the time was US$320 without software (hard disk had been wiped). This alone would blow you budget. In hindsight I should have saved the money as it was only used for a small part of the course and not used since.

The 1760's are great all-rounders, I have 4 being used for various purposes (PSTN cloud with 2 E1's and 2 T1's, frame-relay switch, 2 running CME), can be bought for reasonable prices and as Mike said, can take voice cards directly with the PVDM's installed and still run a fairly recent IOS.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your assistance. I never have experience w/ vmware. now that I got this Big dl360 server can I use that for VMware, or just get a pc and put in win 2003 server.. any steps to start , this my sound stupid but I still confuse on where to start....like do I use dl360 for something or just put it back on e-bay and start building again , or put the dl360 for use and add it to it .. Thank you
  • Options
    What to do with the DL360?

Depending on how it is configured, CPU / HDD / RAM, would depend on how I would use it.

If the DL360 has decent CPU(s), 2GB+ RAM, and big HDD, I'd install VMware ESX server v3.5 (you need to register, but then its a free download from VMware). Its a Linux based VMware package, accessed via a remote Windows GUI console on another PC. Its probably less resource heavy than installing Server 2003 and running VMware within it. If you can put it in another room do so. I've got 2 IBM x306 servers to run CUCM, a management PC for syslog and telnet, routers and switches, when they are all running you can hear it. I've relocated the IBM's to a spare room (via another switch and cross-over cable), but they keep the room warm in winter.

If not, maybe the DL360 can be upgraded to do the above (though it may not be worth it cost wise), or place it back on eBay. That would be your call.

As for how to use VMware, you can download VMware server (another register/free download) and have a play. There are probably some tutorial videos available, but hands on is better.

VMware ESX Server
    http://www.vmware.com/products/esxi/

VMware server
    http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

• Options
    Thank you for the reply.. I will see what to from here. i am sure I will be back for more questions/// for now I am going to wait for dl360 to arrive and take it from there.. Thanks
  • Options
    found this one on e-bay ,,,should I go w/ it .. Thanks

CISCO 2600 XM SERIES W/ One WIC 1DSU T1 CARD
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    xzyan wrote: »
    found this one on e-bay ,,,should I go w/ it .. Thanks

CISCO 2600 XM SERIES W/ One WIC 1DSU T1 CARD

Depends on the price and if it has/can support a voice IOS. Send the link :)
  • Options
    Looks like this could be the one;
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CISCO-2600-XM-SERIES-2620-XM-W-WIC-IDSU-T1-ROUTER_W0QQitemZ360196816579QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOMP_EN_Routers?hash=item53dd673ec3

I'd have a look here;
    http://shop.ebay.com/mjbjw/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

I've bought from this seller before without any problems. Even with international shipping it was a good price and prompt delivery.

He is also selling a 2620XM (without the T1), but when you add the cost of a voice NM you can buy a 1760 with recent voice IOS and PVDM installed at less than the same price. Both include CME installed. All you need then are voice cards. To run a T1 in voice mode on a 2600XM you need a AIM-VOICE30 or a high end voice NM, these can get pricey.

If you can get a 1760 from here, add a VIC-2FXS, VIC-2FXO, and maybe a VWIC-1MFT-T1 (seen them from this seller at about US$35), you'd have the basic setup needed for CCNA Voice. Just add IP phones with power bricks as you have 2900 switches. Only thing you'd be missing is Unity Express, which is a optional luxury and would blow your budget.

I may seem like I'm pushing the 1760 from all my posts, but I think they are a good all rounder and good for voice configs.

Cheers,
    Dave
  • Options
    so here is my list
    VIC-2FXS
    VIC-2FXS
    VWIC-1MFT-T1
    ip phones--connected to power brick and ethernet to 2900 switch.

Unity Express -- where this one needs to be installed.

Thanks for all your input . I know I reply little late but I always see that this LAB will be complete one day and I will be able to pass the knowlege to others

Thanks again
  • Options
    Hi,

The 1MFT-T1 is optional, but is handy to have and also good if you follow the CCVP route later.

Unity Express (in my opinion) would be a luxury for CCNA-Voice. I bought one and apart from doing a software install and intital config on it, haven't used it since, save your money. It can't be installed on a 1760, as it requires a router with either an AIM slot or NM slot.

You'll find the 2900 switches probably wont have most of the commands used in the study guide. You'll need to do some work arounds, I had similar problems using my 3524's. But you learn more also by making legacy hardware work.

The 1760 will need 32F/128D minimum, 48F/160D prefered and unless it comes with it installed, you'll also need a PVDM-256K-8 or 12 to run the FXS/FXO/T1 ports. If you're outside the US, you can substitute an E1 for the T1. I ended up getting both, which got reused doing CVOICE. 2 analog handsets to connect to the FXS ports as well.

If your budget will stretch to it, a 3524-PWR switch will give you Inline Power for the IP phones, some extra functionallity, and you can drop the power bricks for the phones. Or a 3550-PWR switch if possible as this is used in the study guide. But make sure you're IP phones support Inline Power, eg 7912, 7940, 7960.

No probs with the questions, its how we all learn.

Cheers,
    Dave
  • Options
    jeev2008jeev2008 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Dave

I have finished CCNA and CCNP routing and switching looking frward to do the Voice path. My voice knowledge at the moemnt not that good. Need some help with my voice home lab. I have

switches

2x2950
    2x2924xl

and Routers
    2xMC3810V without fxo/fxs cards with 8mb flash and 32 mb nvram
    3x2611 non xm without any voice moduls.
    857w
    aironet access point
    1751 no voice modules
    1710 vpn router

and computers
    1 quadcore 6600 pc with 4GB ram
    1 DL 360 with 4GB ram 1 DL 580 and 1 dell poweredge 1655

What should I buy to complete my CCVP home lab. Thanks a lot mate. should I buy 2621xm or 1760 router. Or can I use my existing routers without any disadvantages??.
    Also how many fxs and fxo cards do I need??

Thanks in advance
    :D
  • Options
    and also what IOS images do I need for these routers... Thanksicon_lol.gif
  • Options
    luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    Thanks to azaghul and mikej412 for their info in this thread.. it's been incredibly useful so far in purchasing a CCNAV lab :)
  • Options
    Hi Luke...
    no problems, always happy to share what knowledge I have...

Hi Jeev,
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I started composing a reply, and found it just kept getting longer and longer. If you can bear with me a couple of day longer, I'll put a decent document together for both CCNA-V and CCVP. The CCVP info may need further work and I'm still working on my CVoice.

Cheers,
    Dave
  • Options
  • Options
    Hi,

I'll start a new thread for this, so all the info is located at the top of the post, not buried deep down.

Cheers
    Dave