Got'r done

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
I ended up getting a 903 on ICND2 this morning. I went fast because I was worried about time, but I ended up finishing with around 25 minutes left. I probably could have done a bit better had I been a little more cautious, but I'm still pretty happy with that score.

Finishing this up was actually a pretty big deal for me. I wanted to work on Cisco certs since before I was out of high school. I put a lot of money into study materials for the old version of the CCNA, bought 2500-series routers when they were somewhat decent, etc. A little over eight-years later, I finally wrapped up the CCNA icon_lol.gif

I used Train Signal, The Bryant Advantage (which I didn't really use since the material was nearly identical to the TS CBTs), Transcender, the Portable Command Guide, the Cisco Press books, and real equipment/dynamips.

I really wish I would have buckled down and taken it at the end of last year, shortly after ICND1. It was frustrating to get back into after so much time off. I'm going to keep working on Cisco stuff slowly, but surely, and focus on my security studies as well. I'd like to do OSCP, CEH, and CWSP by the end of the year. I'm going to start working on BCMSN as well, so I can mix up my studies a bit. All that should keep me busy for awhile icon_cool.gif

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

You know the drill drunken_smilie.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    I ended up getting a 903 on ICND2 this morning. I went fast because I was worried about time, but I ended up finishing with around 25 minutes left. I probably could have done a bit better had I been a little more cautious, but I'm still pretty happy with that score.

Finishing this up was actually a pretty big deal for me. I wanted to work on Cisco certs since before I was out of high school. I put a lot of money into study materials for the old version of the CCNA, bought 2500-series routers when they were somewhat decent, etc. A little over eight-years later, I finally wrapped up the CCNA icon_lol.gif

I used Train Signal, The Bryant Advantage (which I didn't really use since the material was nearly identical to the TS CBTs), Transcender, the Portable Command Guide, the Cisco Press books, and real equipment/dynamips.

I really wish I would have buckled down and taken it at the end of last year, shortly after ICND1. It was frustrating to get back into after so much time off. I'm going to keep working on Cisco stuff slowly, but surely, and focus on my security studies as well. I'd like to do OSCP, CEH, and CWSP by the end of the year. I'm going to start working on BCMSN as well, so I can mix up my studies a bit. All that should keep me busy for awhile icon_cool.gif

Congrats!
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□

Awesome. You have beaten me but I will catch up in a week and a half.
    Make sure to write up about the OSCP and CWSP.

Great job :D
  • Firemarshalbill.comFiremarshalbill.com Member Posts: 128
    Congrats, I think you need to change your line under certificationsicon_king.gif
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats, keep up the good work.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats, I think you need to change your line under certificationsicon_king.gif

I was thinking the same thing. icon_cool.gif
  • jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    congrats man! well-deserved :)
  • ziggi138ziggi138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    You the man....congrats
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
  • 120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    Congratulations!
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    ... I'd like to do OSCP, CEH, and CWSP by the end of the year. I'm going to start working on BCMSN as well, so I can mix up my studies a bit.

The end of this year ??? Wow !

I know your good but ... WoW.

Grats mate :)
    Kam.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You know the drill drunken_smilie.gif

Indeed. I've done this once or twice or before...

I decided to go with Knob Creek and an Ashton ESG this time around.
    knwminus wrote: »
    Awesome. You have beaten me but I will catch up in a week and a half.

Caught up? Doesn't that imply that I'm not going to do anything over the next week and a half ;)
    knwminus wrote: »
    Make sure to write up about the OSCP and CWSP.

Will do.

Why? I do have a few in progress ;)
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    The end of this year ???

It's really not as much as it sounds. I'm not starting any of those from scratch; most of been in progress for awhile. I almost sat the CEH today as well, but some of the obscure questions I was getting in practice exams made me too nervous. I've done a lot of work with wireless security out of personal interest the last year or so, so most of the CWSP is familiar. The one I'm really worried about is the OSCP. A guy at work who's much more experienced than me came up a bit short on that this last week. It has a lot of things like tweaking exploit code to work in that environment, etc. It's not just run a vulnerability scanner and point-and-click with Metasploit. I have a pretty good pass-rate thus far, but that one might take a few attempts icon_eek.gif
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congrats on the pass, you turbo-charged SOB. icon_lol.gif

And oh, yes, the Ashton ESG is a very good choice as a celebratory-smoke. I've always been a fan of the sun-grown sticks, and Ashton is awesome in general. Nice choice of bourbon, too.

Now, go get sh*t-faced. icon_thumright.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Felicidades. icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif

But really, how does this guy remain motivated, study hard (obviously), and pass so many exams... icon_scratch.gif
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Essendon wrote: »
    Felicidades. icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif

But really, how does this guy remain motivated, study hard (obviously), and pass so many exams... icon_scratch.gif

Pure, uncut, Colombian cocaine.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Slowhand wrote: »

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    congrats icon_smile.gif

oh and about time lol
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Slowhand wrote: »

That used to be the case. However, this divorce has left me so strapped for cash that I've had to resort to dirty Cajun street crack.
    oh and about time lol

Tell me about it. I was looking at my exam history in Transcender, and it picked up the day after I stopped last year.

10/13/2008
    10/14/2008
    10/15/2009
    10/16/2009
    etc.

That was a pretty funny coincidence, but it was also a pathetic realization icon_sad.gif

It actually took me a second to realize what was going since I was fairly certain I hadn't done any practice exams the week before...

One thing I forgot to mention was the number of errors/typos on the exam. I think there were three that were bad enough to leave feedback for. One question had all the host IPs on a network set to the same IP (the question was unrelated so that's not an NDA violation). I think my comment was something like, "While this wouldn't remedy the situation, I think I'd start by assigning unique IPs to the hosts. You know, just as a general best practice." icon_lol.gif
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I ended up getting a 903 on ICND2 this morning.
    Slacker. I expect you to get 904+ on your future exams!

Congratulations :)
  • ncsugrad2002ncsugrad2002 Member Posts: 131
  • SatcomSatcom Member Posts: 110