Options

Thoughts on the Microsoft Certified Master Program

crisb20crisb20 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Maybe there was a post on this already and sorry if there is but a came across this new certification title called Microsoft Certified Master Program or MCM. It is 5 MCTS test covering a broader range of subjects than say the MCITP and in my opion more real world. It is basically the MCTS's for AD, Exchange 07, SQL 08, Share Point and Office communications server. I am looking into getting a network admin position and have found that AD and Exchange are pretty popular. I was just wondering if anyone else shares this point of view of MCM vs. MCITP. After going over some of the 70-642 stuff it seems that about half of the content is not real world based, for instance Windows 2008 acting as a router running RIP. I was actually going the MCM route before discovering there was an MCM because I am interested in Exchange, AD ETC and seems to be popular keywords in network admin job postings. Either way it seems that these new microsoft titles like MCITP or MCM are going to take a while to catch on.

Link to the details:
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/master.aspx

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We discussed it in the General Cert forum not long ago.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/47057-mcm-worth.html

Just be aware that having the certifications/exams mention are some of the prereqs, not all of them.

The real killer for the MCM is the cost of the three week training and examinations. Just for these you are looking at a $20K investment for most of the MCM titles. This does not count the ticket to Redmond nor the hotel and missed work.

In my opinion MCM needs to be brought down to earth a little before the certification will gain any ground except for very, very high level consultants and MS employees.

I would like to see the cost cut in 1/2 and the course delivered via the web. I could see something like the Technet virtual labs being used. I believe the tests should still be done as they are. I think that will make dumping nearly impossible.

If MCM AD 2008 were only around $9,000 and I only had to fly out for the exams, I would be all over it. As it stands right now, though. I think the exam is very, very far out of the reach of the average net admin.
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    crisb20 wrote: »
    Maybe there was a post on this already and It is 5 MCTS test covering a broader range of subjects than say the MCITP and in my opion more real world. It is basically the MCTS's for AD, Exchange 07, SQL 08, Share Point and Office communications server.

I think you have this a little backwards. This is a senior level cert... above the MCITP program... that usually requires one, plus some extra certs, PLUS provable real experience in the field.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I really want to do this for either Exchange or OCS. Or both! It's just too much money.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    spaatspaat Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    royal wrote: »
    I really want to do this for either Exchange or OCS. Or both! It's just too much money.

Ditto...