Options

Packet Tracer

jwillsjwills Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, Is there any other way to obtain Packet Tracer than thru the Cisco Networking Academy? If i've been reading the post correctly, you have to either be a student or instructor for this. Not something you can just sign up for and pay $200 and get. Am I right on this? I believe the only Ntwk Academy in my area is at a high school, and i'm almost 40.

Thanks for you help.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jwills wrote: »
    Is there any other way to obtain Packet Tracer than thru the Cisco Networking Academy?
    Legally -- no.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    jwillsjwills Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is my understanding correct. The Cisco Network Academy is a classroom style course you take for a period of time? If so, what does the cost usually run? $500 - $1000?
  • Options
    jwills wrote: »
    Is my understanding correct. The Cisco Network Academy is a classroom style course you take for a period of time? If so, what does the cost usually run? $500 - $1000?
    It varies by the institution teaching it.

If it's being taught for high school students, they may not even have to pay a lab or materials fee...

If it's at a Community College, each "semester" might still be 8 weeks (it was when I took it) -- but you get a full 3 semester hours for the course -- and you can squeeze in "2 academy semesters" into 1 Community College Semester. The cost would work out to the schools's per credit cost plus the "overhead" for the semester of the registration and student fees.

There may be some actual "for profit" schools somewhere in the world that uses the Cisco Network Academy Training.

And they might be an "online only" option somewhere.....

My Community College offered the courses as physical classes you attend or "self-paced web based" -- with physical access to the school lab from 6 or 7 am to around 10 or 11 PM at night (and shorter weekend lab accesses, maybe like 9am-9pm). The semester "final exams" were in the school's proctored test lab.
  • Options
    I got no hits for academies in Richmond VA icon_eek.gif

You might want to try the "class search option" & then just put in Virginia and see if there are any Academies somewhere in the County or surrounding Counties that you recognize.

My Academy didn't offer the CCNP Academy Courses so one of my classmates got the "local student" rate at the Regional Academy in the County next to her. I lived another county north -- which made it to far to travel, so I shifted to self-study (and used a home lab) for the CCNP (and beyond).
  • Options
    I went academynetspace.com -- and I can barely find my old academy, but the "low res" version has a search function that may or may not work.

Tossing out Richmond Virgina high schools, these might be Cisco Network Academies in Richmond Virginia.
    Adult Career Development Center

J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College

Maggie L. Walker Governor's School for Government and International Studies

There may be more -- but even though I selected the North America United States and Virgina drop down, the next few "Richmond" hits are in the UK, Indiana, etc....