Options

Weird HP DL380 G5 issue

arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've got a few HP DL380 G5 servers, two of them running as Exchange servers and two SQL servers. Our primary Exchange server was having random reboot issues, so we checked with HP support on it. They had me swap the power supply cage with the backup SQL server, and sure enough that was the problem (and apparently they weren't supposed to ask me to do that, whoops). So they shipped a replacement power supply cage and we just put it in the backup SQL server.

The only problem is that our backup SQL server is now randomly rebooting just like the Exchange server did, even after swapping out the power supplies. We've swapped out the whole power supply assembly at least three times now, and our HP tech replaced everything but the chassis and it still reboots.

Apparently it rebooted again this morning, there's a Event ID of 6008 saying the previous system shutdown at 6:03:31 AM on 10/21/2009 was unexpected. Any of you ever have to chase down weird issues like this? It must not be getting a blue screen because I set it to not reboot after a crash, but it's still rebooting. The last thing I can think of doing is running DebugView, but I don't know what I'd be looking for. Any ideas?
[size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
What's left: Graduation![/size]

Comments

• Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Does the diagnostics on the SmartStart CD come up with anything? Any other wierd events in the logs?
  • Options
    Didn't really get anything on the CD. The only thing out of the ordinary happened about two hours before, we got a event id of 11164 from DnsApi. That's probably to be expected since it's kept on a workgroup away from the production servers. We're using NeverFail which will failover if we have a problem with the primary SQL server.

Also, checked the temps and it's been staying cool...nowhere near critical, so it hasn't been forced to shutdown.
  • Options
    joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    Have you tried plugging it into a different electrical outlet or into a different UPS?
  • Options
    Yep, it was running off a Smart UPS 3000 RM and now we've got the power supplies running off two Back-Ups XS 1500's.
  • Options
    joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    Do you have redundant power supplies in the server or just one power supply?
  • Options
    They are redundant power supplies.