Options

Help, blank monitor on New PC build

CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
Alright, I need the help of some hardward professionals (not me).

I am having a problem with my new computer build:

Mainboard : MSI X48C Platinum
CPU:Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
PSU: Ultra 650 Watt Atx power supply
Memory : 4 Gig DDR3PC3-8500
HDD: 500 Gig WD Caviar SE16 ATA 7200/16MB/SATA-3G
Video Card: NX8400GS-TD Series
DVD Drive: LG 22X DVDRW SATA OEM (L49-1028 OEM )

The problem is that when I turn on my computer it powers on but I am getting a blank screen on my monitor. I have tried removing all devices (HD, DVD Drive) and leave the barebones, but it still does nothing. I know that the monitor that I am using is good because I tried it on a different computer and it works. can anyone please help me out? oh yeah, and i don't have another video card to use.

I am building this as my new GNS3/Dynamips Server. Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Alright, I need the help of some hardward professionals (not me).

I am having a problem with my new computer build:

HDD: 500 Gig WD Caviar SE16 ATA 7200/16MB/SATA-3G
    DVD Drive: LG 22X DVDRW SATA OEM (L49-1028 OEM )

The problem is that when I turn on my computer it powers on but I am getting a blank screen on my monitor. I have tried removing all devices (HD, DVD Drive) and leave the barebones, but it still does nothing. I know that the monitor that I am using is good because I tried it on a different computer and it works. can anyone please help me out? oh yeah, and i don't have another video card to use.

I am building this as my new GNS3/Dynamips Server. Thanks for your help!

I am going to be in your shoes in a weeks (buying parts as we speak for a gns3 server)

Could be a bad card? Does the board have on board video? Do you hear the post when the machines comes up?
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you havent already try the video card in the other pci-e slot. Also try pulling mem out and switching the mem between slots. Also make sure that your card doesnt require a power supply cable for power to the card. If it does make sure the right cable is used. Beyond that you may have to go buy a card from somwhere like bestbuy and then take it back after you use it to test.

I just looked up your vid card i would try switching between the dvi/vga ports to and if your monitor supports different inputs then maybe its on vga input and you are using a dvi cable so check the monitor settings.
  • Options
    forgot to mention, there is no onboard video. also, i don't hear post either.

i tried the video card in a different slot, but still no good. I also tried moving the RAM around, but got nowhere. there is no power supply to the video card either. I might have to do as you said and try a different video card, to rule out the video card as the problem.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    forgot to mention, there is no onboard video. also, i don't hear post either.

i tried the video card in a different slot, but still no good. I also tried moving the RAM around, but got nowhere. there is no power supply to the video card either. I might have to do as you said and try a different video card, to rule out the video card as the problem.

That seems like the next logical step. It would also help rule out a bad board.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod

Well, I won't start on the WD for a HDD and the MSI Mobo and GC (as I will not ever recommend nor use those brands due to enough problems to convince me all they produce is junk....and yes, I've worked with enough volumne to prove their products are not to the standard I'd use or recommend friends use)....that said, some people still like them...and good for them. ;)

Ok, when you stated you took it back to basics...did you really? All the cables and everything non-essential was removed from the MOBO and not simply just the power removed, correct?

IF you did this, and this includes those crappy little "m-connectors" (as MSI calls them).

Remove EVERYTHING and replug in ONLY your PS, CPU, 1 stick of RAM and see if you can post. What happens? (and do make certain you unplug and replug EVERYTHING, don't just press on it to see that it is attached.

The x48C is an older board, so are you certain the BIOS are current to handle your Core 2 Quad?

That board supports both DDR3 or DDR2 RAM...are you installing only the DDR3 correct? Drop the RAM down 1 stick and try powering on with 1 stick in different slots...possibly one of the DIMMS is failing or the RAM is bad.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Check that your motherboard doesn't need extra power supply connections like the ATX12V plug.
  • Options
    I see that the mb has an 8 pin power connector. Even though it has a little plastic cover it doesnt mean you can bypass it and use a 4 pin. Usually the 4 pin isnt enough. I would make sure you got the 8 pin connect or get a PS that has an 8 pin otherwise you will get just what you described.
  • Options
    ok, i am making backward progress now. before i got it to power up by:

1) turning on power on psu and then

2) pressing the power button on the computer case

Now it doesn't even power on and it tries to power up when I only:

1) try turning on the power on the psu

When I do the above the fans spin for a second then nothing.

I am close to pulling an office space on this crap. Maybe I should just return everything and see if I can get someone else to build me a computer to my specs. Are there any websites out there that do that?
  • Options
    I see that the mb has an 8 pin power connector. Even though it has a little plastic cover it doesnt mean you can bypass it and use a 4 pin. Usually the 4 pin isnt enough. I would make sure you got the 8 pin connect or get a PS that has an 8 pin otherwise you will get just what you described.
    No. The plastic cover is so you can use a 4 pin cable. It stops you from plugging it into the wrong part of the socket. If you have a PSU with the 8 pin aux power lead then you remove the cover.

The 4 pin lead is ATV12 and generally available on "consumer" PSUs. The 8 pin lead is EPS12V and generally on server PSUs. The ability to use both kinds for this motherboard is so you can use either type of PSU.
  • Options
    Looking more closely at that specific motherboard, it is slightly unusual in that it supports DDR2 and DDR3 but in a weird way. You need to fit special fake DIMM sticks that come with the board into the unused slots. Do you have those installed?
  • Options
    yeah, i got the memory switch cards installed. and the power to the mobo is correct too.
  • Options
    yeah, i got the memory switch cards installed. and the power to the mobo is correct too.
    Do the cards light up with the correct memory type?
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    No. The plastic cover is so you can use a 4 pin cable. It stops you from plugging it into the wrong part of the socket. If you have a PSU with the 8 pin aux power lead then you remove the cover.

The 4 pin lead is ATV12 and generally available on "consumer" PSUs. The 8 pin lead is EPS12V and generally on server PSUs. The ability to use both kinds for this motherboard is so you can use either type of PSU.

I know what your saying. The thing is i have ran into this issue twice now with core i7 boards that wont take the 4 pin and only worked after an 8 pin was connected even though it had the cover on the 4 other pins. Also the ps where 650 and 750. Thats why i mentioned that. Seems like it should work but 2 so far haven't and both where msi boards. Oh well.
  • Options
    I know what your saying. The thing is i have ran into this issue twice now with core i7 boards that wont take the 4 pin and only worked after an 8 pin was connected even though it had the cover on the 4 other pins. Also the ps where 650 and 750. Thats why i mentioned that. Seems like it should work but 2 so far haven't and both where msi boards. Oh well.
    I guess the PSU wasn't capable of supplying the 12V at the required current over the 4 pin plug. I've got a i7 desktop but I'm using the EPS12V plug because my PSU has one. The motherboard manual state that it works either way however so long as the ATV12V lead can supply the necessary current.
  • Options
    it's gotta be the video card, i just tried the monitor on another video card and it works fine, i also tried taking the mobo out of the case and that didn't work either. so i'm going with a bad video card. gonna see if someone has a spare... man they are expensive
  • Options
    it's gotta be the video card, i just tried the monitor on another video card and it works fine, i also tried taking the mobo out of the case and that didn't work either. so i'm going with a bad video card. gonna see if someone has a spare... man they are expensive
    When you say it powers on, do you mean it just turns on and sits there or do you mean it actually starts booting but with a blank screen?
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you have any extra brass or whatever other type of stand off's that sit between the motherboard and your chassis to prevent the motherboard from grounding out in the wrong spot perhaps? I've seen this from time to time when I was back working service.
  • Options
    @ tiersten
    i don't know if it boots, i can't see anything. there are no sounds though.

@ msteinhilber
    About the standoffs and stuff, I tried the mobo out of the case and it still doesn't work, so i don't think its a grounding issue.
  • Options
    i must add that when i turn on the computer, and have the keyboard plugged into the motherboard, all the lights turn on and off real fast for a second. and i am also able to hit numlock and the light comes on. so i think it is posting just fine. and like i said before there are no beeps or anything.
  • Options
    @ msteinhilber
    About the standoffs and stuff, I tried the mobo out of the case and it still doesn't work, so i don't think its a grounding issue.
    It is more that the motherboard might be damaged from it shorting out on an extra standoff post.
  • Options
    well, I tried a different video card and it spun up like the first one, but still a blank screen. I think the Mobo is fried, so I RMA'ed it yesterday back to tigerdirect. So i should be receiving a new Mobo shortly and am going to try this again. If it fails this time, well, I'm not sure what to do. This whole building a computer thing sucks, now i remember why I got out of the hardware world :]
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    well, I tried a different video card and it spun up like the first one, but still a blank screen. I think the Mobo is fried, so I RMA'ed it yesterday back to tigerdirect. So i should be receiving a new Mobo shortly and am going to try this again. If it fails this time, well, I'm not sure what to do. This whole building a computer thing sucks, now i remember why I got out of the hardware world :]

That's one thing I miss about my former job. It was retail, managed a PC shop/service center so we always had a good supply of the latest components. Anytime I had to do any troubleshooting for my own rig I could just grab another part off the shelf instead of playing the guessing game and RMA'ing things.

Fortunately all of my upgrades since I've left that job have gone smooth and issue free - although I'm sure now my next build will be cursed, doh.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Msi = more shite inside

:)
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    That's one thing I miss about my former job. It was retail, managed a PC shop/service center so we always had a good supply of the latest components. Anytime I had to do any troubleshooting for my own rig I could just grab another part off the shelf instead of playing the guessing game and RMA'ing things.

Fortunately all of my upgrades since I've left that job have gone smooth and issue free - although I'm sure now my next build will be cursed, doh.

very nice, i wish i had that luxury in this case, but thats a negative. I guess if I receive the new mobo and continue to have issues I could have a friend bring a pc over and just start swapping stuff out. good call on that!