Sec+ carryover to CISSP

dorawedorawe Member Posts: 106
Question for everyone,
How much of the Sec+ cert info is carried over into CISSP cert? I'm studying for the Sec+ right now, but want to move on to CISSP once finished. Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• DominicV3DominicV3 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the CISSP exam just shy of 2 weeks ago. I spent about 3 hours to answer the 250 questions and took another 2 hours to review my work. I left the exam feeling as if though I gave birth, but I felt like I "probably" passed. As an insurance policy I took the Security+ examination a few days later to ensure that I'm compliant with DoD 8570 in case I happen not to pass the CISSP. I ended up getting an 852 on the Security+ without even trying. I didn't even go back and check my questions and only spend a day reviewing the Security+ material. With this examination experience under my belt I would recommend that everyone do the opposite of what I did and prepare for the Security+ exam first. A good deal of the information in Security+ was totally relevant towards the CISSP. After taking and passing the Security+ and having a security certification under your belt, build on that knowledge and study for the CISSP. You will already have a good foundation and about half the domains under your belt from your studies with the Security+. I'm still waiting for the results of the CISSP exam and will keep everyone posted. The worse part is the wait and just not knowing...
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I believe the Security+ material will cover the table of contents in a CISSP book ;)

Good luck guys icon_cool.gif
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588

It's is a logical step and if you're studying Security+ and truly learning the material, you have a good start on the CISSP. There's especially a lot of crossover with the cryptography objectives.

But it's important to realize the CISSP is on another level. I'm not sure I felt like I gave birth like Dominicv3, but my brain was mush. The test is a bear.

I posted this blog entry after learning I passed the CISSP back in July.
    http://sy0-201.com/Blogs/post/Security2b-and-CISSP.aspx

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    www.sy0-201.com

Security+ Blog
    Security Plus: Get Certified Get Ahead

Security+ Tip of day Tweets
    twitter.com/DarrilGibson

dorawe wrote: »
    Question for everyone,
    How much of the Sec+ cert info is carried over into CISSP cert? I'm studying for the Sec+ right now, but want to move on to CISSP once finished. Any info would be appreciated.
  • abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    dynamik wrote: »
    I believe the Security+ material will cover the table of contents in a CISSP book ;)

Good luck guys icon_cool.gif

Lol, I'm kinda studying for both now, there is a fair amount of overlap, although the CISSP does have a lot more topics, and covers them in more detail.
  • dorawedorawe Member Posts: 106
    Thanks for the information.....I had spoken recently to a CISSP and they thought that going for Sec+, then CISSP, was the best route.

Another question, does anyone have info on if/when an updated CISSP exam will be put out next year? I see that there is a AIO CISSP Ver5 available in Feb 2010 (amazon.com), and I probably won't be ready to take the CISSP until Apr-Jun time frame. Would it be better to wait for the Ver5 guide to come out, or just get the available Ver4 guide?
    .....or should I trash that idea and go with other study guides?
  • j_a_s_o_nj_a_s_o_n Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The Sec+ is also one of the certs that will get you a year knocked of of the CISSP experience requirement...