Options

How to get a IT Job or Get One ?

benchodbenchod Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have undergraduate in BS in Management, and I want to get into IT field so bad.

Where do I start, I see so many IT posting with years of experience. I have narrow it down t several feild I would like to focus on

Database Admin / Developer , Software System Analyst , IT Business Analyst , if nothing works then maybe as a system admin, (not much interest unless it has good career path .

It seems all of these jobs require years and years of experience. I am thinking about getting another BS in IT from Top 3 program in US.

Will this help ? Do I need Certs ?

How do I enter these field without much experience. I have done tech support job , I have been restaurant manager for years . I have good people skills along with management skills. One day would love to become director of IT

Any suggestion ?

Should I focus on Certs, Another BS in CIS or MS In CIS ?

Right now, I am working as a tech support again, since I lost my management position due to economy. And this time I prefer to stay in IT from now on. .

Thanks

Mr. Bravis

Comments

• Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    benchod wrote: »
    I have undergraduate in BS in Management, and I want to get into IT field so bad.

Where do I start, I see so many IT posting with years of experience. I have narrow it down t several feild I would like to focus on

Database Admin / Developer , Software System Analyst , IT Business Analyst , if nothing works then maybe as a system admin, (not much interest unless it has good career path .

It seems all of these jobs require years and years of experience. I am thinking about getting another BS in IT from Top 3 program in US.

Will this help ? Do I need Certs ?

How do I enter these field without much experience. I have done tech support job , I have been restaurant manager for years . I have good people skills along with management skills. One day would love to become director of IT

Any suggestion ?

Should I focus on Certs, Another BS in CIS or MS In CIS ?

Right now, I am working as a tech support again, since I lost my management position due to economy. And this time I prefer to stay in IT from now on. .

Thanks

Mr. Bravis

First you have to decide what part of IT you want to work in. "Database Admin / Developer , Software System Analyst , IT Business Analyst " Those jobs are worlds apart the closest one to your degree would be business analyst.

Once you decide what part of IT you want to get into best option is to look at what the local job boards are looking for in terms of skills and gain those certs.
  • Options
    What is the best path to move into mangement side of IT, is it through Software Side or Hardware side ( Networkint, Admin )

I want to focus more on the application side, but it seems like getting any of those job requires years of experence.. Not much is require on certs...but experience is required..

Is it worth to do another BS in CIS and do some internship ? I am 25 years old ... I kind of feel like I am getting too old to go for another BS and internship.

Just confused at this point...

For example.... Software Test Engineer, IT Business Analyst or System Analyst, are pretty much close to one another, except database developer. I just want to get well paying job if I am going to put another 2 years to get BS in CIS... Are internship the only way ?

B
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What is the best path to move into mangement side of IT, is it through Software Side or Hardware side ( Networkint, Admin )

I want to focus more on the application side, but it seems like getting any of those job requires years of experence.. Not much is require on certs...but experience is required..

Is it worth to do another BS in CIS and do some internship ? I am 25 years old ... I kind of feel like I am getting too old to go for another BS and internship.

Just confused at this point...

B

There is no set best path. Most people get into management by working up through either the network/hardware or programming/software branches. That's where you gain the experience which is usually mixed with a masters or an MBA which may get you into management. I havn't seen many people with two bachelors it's usually B.S to M.S.

I couldn't say what's worth it to you. I don't know your local job market and how it functions.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

I am 27 and just starting to work on a BS in IT. No, you are not to old. icon_cool.gif

I don't see any reason that you need to pursue a degree that is IT specific. There are guys on here with degree in Psychology, and Sociology. What you IMHO is certifications in the area that you want to go in. If you want to go the management route than I would consider an MBA.
  • Options
    That is my biggest concern, going to graduate school and specialized in IT, but without any experience, will this help ?

Won't I over qualify my self for majority of the positions ?

Thanks
    B
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That is my biggest concern, going to graduate school and specialized in IT, but without any experience, will this help ?

Won't I over qualify my self for majority of the positions ?

Thanks
    B

I don't have a Graduate degree so I don't feel knowledgeable enough to comment. Oh why not, I will take a swing at this.

Someone else correct me if I am way off:

Certifications==> Get an IT job==> While working IT get a Graduate degree (Probably MBA)==>

What certifications you should take for that path I can't really say. Maybe someone who is in management could comment on this?
  • Options
    mav2005mav2005 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you have 4-6 years of full time experience, especially management experience (you mentioned restaurant manager), I would look at completing an MBA program. Once you complete an MBA, you could transition into IT management or IT project management. I would be very cautious about acquiring a second degree, especially in IT. An MBA would also provide a pathway for other career fields.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you ever taken any programming or database courses? Can you do any type of computer programming right now?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was in your position 6 years ago.

I graduated college with a B.S. in MIS from a University.

I got out of school hoping for a decent job...no luck...got stuck with helpdesk at $10/hr.

1 year passes by and I'm hating life...I have a B.S. and only making $10/hr.

So I decided to do certs from CompTIA like A+ and Network+.

Within months I got hits on my resume online and I got an IT job as a junior desktop tech.

Big jump in salary...was loving life.

1 year passes again and I got promoted as a desktop lead with more pay $$$$.

I got more experience and got my MCSE, Cisco, and more certs $$$$$$.

I look back now and I really didn't know what field I wanted because IT is so vast. But from my experience now...my doors are open for Desktop Support, System Admin/Engineer, Network Admin/Engineer, Telephony Analyst, etc. I never liked programming but I do scripts now to automate some of my daily duties. You are forced to learn as you go because manual process sucks!

But like you I want to be a CIO or CTO one day so I decided to go back to school and get my MBA a few years ago. I'm also being mentored by a CTO and I work for a Fortune 500 company so my career path is very aligned. I have 2 semesters left of school so I'm stoked.

I hope that helps you from my experience. A degree is good but you need more than that.

The magic formula I go by is Education + Experience + Certifications = Job w/$$$$$$

Good Luck and don't lose hope.
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Have you ever taken any programming or database courses? Can you do any type of computer programming right now?

No for real life, but I don't mind... I will look at code and get fascinated by it, but I would prefer not to code rest of life.

It seems like I should get some certs and go for MBA ?

Which field is better in long term, network system or application side ?

I just want growth opportunity.
  • Options
    mav2005 wrote: »
    If you have 4-6 years of full time experience, especially management experience (you mentioned restaurant manager), I would look at completing an MBA program. Once you complete an MBA, you could transition into IT management or IT project management. I would be very cautious about acquiring a second degree, especially in IT. An MBA would also provide a pathway for other career fields.

Can I ask , why you would mention caution on getting another degree in CIS ?

I feel that Business Admin degree may be preventing me from getting IT.
  • Options
    gcarroll357gcarroll357 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    NPA24 wrote: »
    I was in your position 6 years ago.

I graduated college with a B.S. in MIS from a University.

I got out of school hoping for a decent job...no luck...got stuck with helpdesk at $10/hr.

1 year passes by and I'm hating life...I have a B.S. and only making $10/hr.

So I decided to do certs from CompTIA like A+ and Network+.

Within months I got hits on my resume online and I got an IT job as a junior desktop tech.

Big jump in salary...was loving life.

1 year passes again and I got promoted as a desktop lead with more pay $$$$.

I got more experience and got my MCSE, Cisco, and more certs $$$$$$.

I look back now and I really didn't know what field I wanted because IT is so vast. But from my experience now...my doors are open for Desktop Support, System Admin/Engineer, Network Admin/Engineer, Telephony Analyst, etc. I never liked programming but I do scripts now to automate some of my daily duties. You are forced to learn as you go because manual process sucks!

But like you I want to be a CIO or CTO one day so I decided to go back to school and get my MBA a few years ago. I'm also being mentored by a CTO and I work for a Fortune 500 company so my career path is very aligned. I have 2 semesters left of school so I'm stoked.

I hope that helps you from my experience. A degree is good but you need more than that.

The magic formula I go by is Education + Experience + Certifications = Job w/$$$$$$

Good Luck and don't lose hope.

Congrats on ur situation. Sounds like you are where i am now. I just graduated with that same degree last year and was wondering the same question. Im finishing up my "internship" so im gaining some experience (though its not the right skills i need or people are looking for). I have even thought about going to a Comm College to get my A.S. so i can get some training and certs to hopefully get my foot in the door. Im currently working on getting my certs and getting as much experience as possible.
    I thank the OP for asking this question cause it really help and thanks everyone for answering.