Options

Any 291 Practice Exercises For Downlowd??

kctxaukctxau Member Posts: 130
I have the MS Textbook and CDs, but the MS Lab book and CDs were not available at the time. Can the MS exercises be downloaded somewhere? I am not referring to the practice tests, only the exercises. I'm not looking for something free, but something that is available for download. Again, not practice tests, but exercises.
Thankyou,
Keith

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just download a trial of Server 2003, load it up in a VM, and go to town.
  • Options
    I already have full licensed versions of server 2k, 2k3 and 2k8. I also know from experience, that how I test myself and "real world" setups/environments is NOT how MS tests. That was the reason for preferring the MS excercises in a downloadable (but at a cost) format. Thankyou though for the suggestion. It would make perfectly good sense if we were not talking about MS testing.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    kctxau wrote: »
    I already have full licensed versions of server 2k, 2k3 and 2k8. I also know from experience, that how I test myself and "real world" setups/environments is NOT how MS tests. That was the reason for preferring the MS excercises in a downloadable (but at a cost) format. Thankyou though for the suggestion. It would make perfectly good sense if we were not talking about MS testing.

Don't be too hasty to assume that experience won't help just because it's a Microsoft exam; most people who think that general hands-on experience doesn't help with vendor-certs usually need more of it.

The best thing for you is to try to recreate the scenarios they describe in the chapters of the MS Press book. (The lab book was over rated in my opinion.) And, quite frankly, any and all real-world experience is going to help you on the exam. It may not always be like the labs Microsoft wants you to do, but spending some time with the tools helps the reading sink in either way.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Check out Transcender, if you don't mind paying.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have found one of the best things you can do is take situationa from test prep questions and turn them into labs. Drill them until they are second nature.

And I have my own opinion of what people sometimes call "real world." My experience is that what a vendor considers a best practice usually is. What the average admin considers "real world" is usually more work, more complicated, and less reliable.

That doesn't mean that it's not the right thing to do in a given situation, but it also doesn't mean that the admin should not know and understand the best practice. It also might be a lack of understanding.

Take a post that Dynamik and I participated in about DHCP servers and scopes. I quoted the MS line of an 80/20 split but Dynamik and a few others mentioned they used 50/50 and I started to ask why MS suggests 80/20. Once I read the documentation better I noticed the 20% scope was always on a DHCP server on another subnet using a relay agent. Well, that makes sense now! My lack of understanding was making me think that the MS best practice was just silly. But once I really understood it, it made sense.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies.
    I guess what I should have asked for was -downloadable MS lab exercises from MS-. There is a 70-291 lab book, I was hoping for a downloadable version. I am not looking for practice exams, those are readily available from several legit sources. I do not want to create my own lab exercises, that would just be my interpretation of the best way to accomplish something, not necessarily the MS way. (and, I have no interest in doing so).
    Basically just looking for MS released lab exercises that would be a good representation of how MS would test. I have search the MS site with nothing but frustration trying to locate this, but thats a whole 'nuther subject.
    Again,
    thank-you for your time and your help.
  • Options