Build me a Pc

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi guys I am thinking about building myself a new computer I want to go the AMD route I'm not a overclocker never had overclocked before.

Just need your thoughts on getting a decent system together.

(Things I already have)

Samsung Spinpoint 1Terrabyte Sata Hard Disk

(Things I am interested in)

AMD Phenom 2 x4 Quad Core 3.2Ghz
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-244-AM&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=

Memory I want about 6 Gig of DDR-3 I intend to do alot of study so will be using vmware alot but need help choosing some decent ram.*

Motherboard - I want a Socket AM3 board that can support a decent Ram Speed, Also can support a decent graphics card.*

Graphics Card - Midrange I don't want to spend £300 or cannot afford SLI or Crossfire just want a card that can handle todays games*

Power Supply - Need help with this needs to be stable and quiet*

Windows 7 Pro - I will purchase this

Dvd RW

Ok so that is my shopping list anything with a star next to it I need help with

Many Thanks

Recommend me some parts to build a bad ass system
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Find me a girlfriend.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    Find me a girlfriend.

I could build one for you...
  • desertmousedesertmouse Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ally_uk wrote: »
    Power Supply - Need help with this needs to be stable and quiet*

I'd say go with a 500+ Watt Corsair. Quiet, efficient, and they come in a sexy velvet bag. (And they've done well in every review I've read...)
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd say go with a 500+ Watt Corsair. Quiet, efficient, and they come in a sexy velvet bag. (And they've done well in every review I've read...)

I'd 2nd this....definitely get one of the modular power supplies or whatever they're called where you can have only the connectors that you need. The Corsair's are good stuff.

MS
  • ElwoodBluesElwoodBlues Member Posts: 117
    eMeS wrote: »
    I'd 2nd this....definitely get one of the modular power supplies or whatever they're called where you can have only the connectors that you need. The Corsair's are good stuff.

MS

I've got a 750 and I am very happy with it. I have always been a fan of Antec, but I consider Corsair an acceptable solution (usually for less money).
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've got a 750 and I am very happy with it. I have always been a fan of Antec, but I consider Corsair an acceptable solution (usually for less money).

Funny you should mention Antec...the last two power supplies I had failed within a year. I like their cases, but for some reason have had bad luck with their power supplies.

MS
  • mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Could you not be pursuaded to get a core i7 or i5 instead? I currently have a phenom quad core and I wish all the time I held out for the i7. Is there any particular reason for wanting the phenom? Theres nothing wrong with the phenom, its extremely quick but the i7 is twice as quick.

Just my thoughts...
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mrmcmint wrote: »
    Could you not be pursuaded to get a core i7 or i5 instead? I currently have a phenom quad core and I wish all the time I held out for the i7. Is there any particular reason for wanting the phenom? Theres nothing wrong with the phenom, its extremely quick but the i7 is twice as quick.

Just my thoughts...

10+
    When I start building my system this winter I'm going to use a Core I7 860
    Here's a document that explains the differences between the different Iintel processors. I know microcenter here in minnesota sells the core i7 860 for $229.00

AnandTech: The Intel Core i7 860 Review

Qoute "Memory I want about 6 Gig of DDR-3 I intend to do alot of study so will be using vmware alot but need help choosing some decent ram.*

Motherboard - I want a Socket AM3 board that can support a decent Ram Speed, Also can support a decent graphics card.*

Graphics Card - Midrange I don't want to spend £300 or cannot afford SLI or Crossfire just want a card that can handle todays games"

All these items depend on how much you want to spend.....You can build a great system for $500.00 or you can spend 1,000-1,200 and have a dream machine.........just depends on your budget and goals.

Try this for your motherboard problem: AMD 790 Motherboards Reviewed - CPUs, Boards & Components by ExtremeTech

Here are two great resources:

Dream Machine 2009: How To Build the Best PC For Any Budget! | Maximum PC <-gives a budget for 3 different types of PC's

Tom's hardware, a great place to get news, hardware and software reveiws.
    Tom's Hardware: Hardware News, Tests and Reviews

I hope this helps.

PS I would pickout a motherboard before you choose the processor, because it's alot easier to change out a processor, than it is to change out a motherboard.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor